Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I don't get this deal at all for the Astros. Congrats to the phillies for getting a great ball player without having to give up any MLB ready talent.

Gotta see who the other two PTBNL are. That said, the Astros are probably at least half a decade away from competing again. Yeah, ideally you want guys who are on the brink. But in their current position, they just need high-end talent. And they got that in Cosart and Singelton, at least.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
Gotta see who the other two PTBL are. That said, the Astros are probably at least half a decade away from competing again. Yeah, ideally you want guys who are on the brink. But in their current position, they just need high-end talent. And they got that in Cosart and Singelton, at least.

The other two are supposed to be in A ball as well.

I think the Astros SHOULD have gotten at least ONE pretty sure thing, a guy in AA ball at least within months of making a major league impact.

He's their best player. Theoretically, you might not get any big time contributors out of this trade, and you're left marketing Bourn, Wandy Rodriguez and Carlos Lee?

REALLY?

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I don't get this deal at all for the Astros. Congrats to the phillies for getting a great ball player without having to give up any MLB ready talent.

That's just it: Pence isn't a great player. He's a very good player, who would be a great support player to some real sluggers.

He's power is only OK as his is OBP.

Astros had to make this move, really.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
She was cute in "Monte Carlo" at least.

I'd still take the more sophisticated Emily Blunt.

that's a completely different ball field. we're talking about tweenagers here...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
Too bad that Ozzie's irrationally married to the idea of Pierre leading off. Quentin in LF, Viciedo in RF, and a platoon of Pierre and Rios in CF is probably the best option at this point.

PIerre arguably is the third or fourth best hitter on this team.

Why is it so irrational to play him?

Paulie, CQ, AJ, Pierre.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 02:47 AM)
There's just no way you can say Pierre is a better hitter than Alexei Ramirez.

Not just because of a couple of points on his BA.

I'm still waiting for Lexi to get hot. He was 6-for-32 entering tonight's game. He's been s***ty.

Demi Lovato is hotter than all of them, but anyway...Now that Pence is off the market, Quentin should be more sought after by teams looking for a right handed power bat. Especially if it's taken down to the wire Sunday. Maybe Kenny can get teams into a bidding war for Carlos.

It's amazing how one hitter can change how good a lineup looks:

Before

1. Rollins

2. Polanco

3. Utley

4. Howard

5. Victorino

6. Ibanez

7. Brown

8. Ruiz

After

1. Rollins

2. Victorino

3. Utley

4. Howard

5. Pence

6. Brown

7. Polanco

8. Ruiz

Having that good right handed hitter to break up the lefties means a lot.

We might have gotten half the haul Houston got for Quentin. Good for the Phillies though.

And I love how this thread turned into a tweenage girl discussion for half a page. xD

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Braves might become even more desperate now that their division rivals just grabbed a significant upgrade.

They're going to win the wild card unless they start playing like crap. The D'backs and Cardinals/Pirates/Brewers aren't better than Atlanta.