Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #RedSox also want Thornton, as reported by @BNightengale. Thornton could go. Quentin may be more a winter move. #tradedeadline #MLB

Thornton is probably gone im thinking, which does hurt our chances despite what some of you are saying,

especially with how much we've had to use the pen, and you're subtracting? yeah

If he went to Boston, not only does it weaken the White Sox, it makes a team they have to beat if they want to win the WS stronger. It would be a curious move to say the least unless KW got back major leaguers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
What a f***ing mistake...

I'm coining a phrase right now. KW is blinded by the "AL Central Illusion of Contention", where in the division is SO BAD that putting a team that underperforms in one facet of the game EVERY NIGHT, but is only 3 games out due to aforementioned bad division, is okay and said facet of the game needs no changes because "look how close we are to first with the team we have now"

I don't know how dumping one of your better players for marginal prospects makes the team any better down the road. If a team wants Quentin for prospects, KW is doing the wise thing and making sure there the top of the line guys. If not, screw you. BTW, the Sox are so bad they are 4-0 vs. Boston this year. Boston and NYY are going to have pitching problems. Get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
What a f***ing mistake...

I'm coining a phrase right now. KW is blinded by the "AL Central Illusion of Contention", where in the division is SO BAD that putting a team that underperforms in one facet of the game EVERY NIGHT, but is only 3 games out due to aforementioned bad division, is okay and said facet of the game needs no changes because "look how close we are to first with the team we have now"

The part you missed is that the players being offered is not what he wanted. Thats how it should be, you need to hold onto your assets unless you are getting a better return that you would if he was on our team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
If he went to Boston, not only does it weaken the White Sox, it makes a team they have to beat if they want to win the WS stronger. It would be a curious move to say the least unless KW got back major leaguers.

I dont see him trading Thornton to a contending AL team.

Watch when Doug Davis is our fifth starter and leading us through the playoffs....haha.

Actually, trading Thornton does make sense, but we're going to have to get a huge return (thinking Ricardo Rincon for Brian Giles here) that just overwhelms KW. And definitely freeing up the salary/payroll situation for 2012 and beyond helps out, too. You just have to think that any savings will disappear with a lowered payroll and not be plugged back into signing international free agents or scouting/drafting.

The only money that's going to be extended uncomfortably will be for Buehrle (2-3 years) and not for Danks (4-6 years).

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Oh man all this SOS talk gave me an idea I wish I were photoshop skilled in anyway, but maybe someone here can pull it off:

Take the Sox early 80's logo with the guy batting with S-O-X underneath... Flip it so the batter is upside down and change S-O-X into S-O-S with the same font as the real logo. Could also stand for "Same Old s***"

kenny.gif

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Watch when Doug Davis is our fifth starter and leading us through the playoffs....haha.

Actually, trading Thornton does make sense, but we're going to have to get a huge return (thinking Ricardo Rincon for Brian Giles here) that just overwhelms KW. And definitely freeing up the salary/payroll situation for 2012 and beyond helps out, too. You just have to think that any savings will disappear with a lowered payroll and not be plugged back into signing international free agents or scouting/drafting.

The only money that's going to be extended uncomfortably will be for Buehrle (2-3 years) and not for Danks (4-6 years).

What's Humber's status beyond this year ?

We control Humber's rights for at least 4 more seasons (3 of them would be arbitration eligible).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...just guessing. He had the equivalent of about 1 full season of service time over the course of his entire MLB career coming into April, 2010.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
We control Humber's rights for at least 4 more seasons (3 of them would be arbitration eligible).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...just guessing. He had the equivalent of about 1 full season of service time over the course of his entire MLB career coming into April, 2010.

I think that keeps him pre-arb for 2 more seasons. He's basically ours as long as he's good.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Give me Reddick, Iglesias OR Ranaudo, and Vazquez. If they want Thornton too, I want both Iglesias and Ranaudo.

Give me Ranaudo, Reddick, and Lavarnway (send them Flowers).

Also, send me something to drug Theo to make it happen.

Edited by Quinarvy

Don't give KW that drug Bradley Cooper was taking in Limitless.

We'd have a new 25 man roster by 4 p.m. tomorrow.

Jacob Turner's stranded four runners already in scoring position against LAA, 4 K's, lots of pitches...still 0-0 in the bottom of the 3rd.

Seems pretty easy to run on him.

Had lost 3 decisions in a row in AAA and gave up 7 runs in one of those outings.

Angels could really use Napoli's bat again...one of the hottest hitters in baseball recently.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
@whitesox

Chicago White Sox

Williams: Chances of any deal "very unlikely," saying potential deals all would hurt club's chances to win division. #WhiteSox

Fan f***ing tastic...

You know what's hurting the chances of winning the division? 5 of the 9 guys in the line-up being awful. Way to address the MAIN ISSUE OF THE TEAM.

I'm not even talking about getting rid of CQ anymore. I'm talking about doing nothing to address the needs of the team going forward. De Aza is a start but KW benching of Rios "for a long time" lasted all of 2 games....

It's really pushing it to say DeAza should be starting every single game, against righties and lefties.

Still, Ozzie's normally "superstitious" enough when the team's winning games not to change things around too much, like when Morel was in the 2 hole and struggling but the team was doing pretty well for awhile.

Like it or not, Rios is a decent hitter against lefties, he's not been a disaster hitting at home and he has a decent track record against Lester.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
I'm not even talking about getting rid of CQ anymore. I'm talking about doing nothing to address the needs of the team going forward. De Aza is a start but KW benching of Rios "for a long time" lasted all of 2 games....

It's a platoon.

Any time you give this manager a LH and RH batter that play the same position, it automatically becomes a platoon.

The fact of the matter is that if we go out and make Quentin, Danks/Floyd and Thornton available this offseason...we might get an even better return. Might be worse...who knows, but you simply can't give up on 2011 yet.

If someone offers something sweet for Thornton or Ohman, or Frasier Crain, then you can at least give it careful consideration, but you can't really touch the core of the team, which you would if you move Quentin/Danks/Floyd.

Imagine if we traded 3-4 of those guys and the Tigers and Indians stayed 0-6 games over .500 for the remainder of the season, we'd be hearing from Sox fans all offseason how they didn't make any effort to go for it.

That White Flag trade still riles a lot of old Sox fans, and we were about the same number of games back and similar record at the time.