Quentin sought after by BOS

harfman77

I like TCQ, but he is streaky, has had injury problems, and is about to get really expensive. If the Sox can get a kings ransom for him, then trade him now! It is not a white flag move, it would be a retool move if a stud like Brown was involved. The Sox put Rios in right and keep De Aza in center. If Rios continues to play poorly, Viciedo comes up when his thumb gets better. If the Sox are sensitive to white flag stuff, spin it as getting money for resigning MB56 or trade for Ramirez to play 3b.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
For some reason, I think there's a decent chance a Quentin/Brown deal gets done. I'm sure other pieces would have to be involved, but the Sox are in a great spot with Quentin. Remember, any team that trades for him will likely get type A/B after the 2012 season, so those picks need to be factored into his price.

I'll miss him, might be my favorite Sox player right now behind Paulie

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
They've played 103 games.

They're under .500 at home

They're under .500 vs the division

They haven't had a 5 game winning streak all year

They have Boston and New York coming to town, followed by road series in Minnesota and Baltimore---which have historically been hard places to win for the Sox.

So, if they keep Quentin, they better find a way to win the division. Effort doesn't count. Only results count.

My fear is they stand pat, then go 5-9 the next 14 games and wish they would have done more at the deadline.

You can just as easily do this the other way. The Sox are 12-5 versus teams in first place in MLB, and they are 11-7 against the 1st and 2nd place teams in their division. I also can't remember the record right now, but I know they are also way over .500 against teams over .500.

I think we're nearing the point of no return with Rios where nobody can be sure what we're going to get out of him in 2012 or were he to be magically "reinserted" back into the starting line-up with a Quentin trade. It's almost starting to feel like the Swisher/Cabrera/Javy situations where you just had a feeling their days were numbered with the Sox.

There's just no way you can be "All In" with Pierre/DeAza/Rios as your outfield. Nobody could sell that to the fanbase.

If it's someone with Domonic Brown's ability, I'll buy that as a logical move to improve the future of the franchise. But not trying to compete for the AL Central (especially the next two weeks) with Rios playing a key role. No way.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
I think we're nearing the point of no return with Rios where nobody can be sure what we're going to get out of him in 2012 or were he to be magically "reinserted" back into the starting line-up with a Quentin trade. It's almost starting to feel like the Swisher/Cabrera/Javy situations where you just had a feeling their days were numbered with the Sox.

Their contracts were not near the albatross that is Rios's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
You can just as easily do this the other way. The Sox are 12-5 versus teams in first place in MLB, and they are 11-7 against the 1st and 2nd place teams in their division. I also can't remember the record right now, but I know they are also way over .500 against teams over .500.

What was their record against Detroit prior to this home and home series? and yet they won 4 out of 6.

CQ is quite the conundrum. Just right now I don't see how you can do anything about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)

Like I said, only results matter from here on out. They must win the division. So they better play this right and really think about what's best for the future of the team. If it means trading Quentin and Floyd...and maybe Thornton, then they should do it.

Clearly.

I'm only saying there has to be a fear on the part of KW and Ozzie the Rios won't be Mr. Sunny and Happy Disposition on the bench or in the clubhouse.

Can he force a trade? No, of course not. But you just have the feeling it will get even uglier before we see any light at the end of that particular tunnel, particularly with DeAza basically winning the first game he'd played for the Sox after Rios had gone for about 6 months of games without winning more than a handful of games memorably.

Remember when KW and Ozzie basically protected Rios by benching the soon-to-depart Jermaine Dye for stretches in late 2009?

Rios is clearly one of the most sensitive/rabbit eared players in that clubhouse.....to everything that is written and said about him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
I'll miss him, might be my favorite Sox player right now behind Paulie

I like Carlos a lot too. I don't see the Phils giving up Brown for him, I think he can be just as good. If they offered Brown, you gotta take it.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I like Carlos a lot too. I don't see the Phils giving up Brown for him, I think he can be just as good. If they offered Brown, you gotta take it.

I like Carlos too. But with a ready made replacement at a fraction of the cost you have to trade him if you can get something good for him.

Considering the last couple of offseason's there has been significant talk about possibly non-tendering CQ because of his streakiness/injurires/outfield play, you simply can't turn down Domonic Brown because Carlos has gone on a hot streak again. You have to strike while the iron's hot, like they did with unloading Teahen as part of the Jackson package. A month ago, you might have had a somewhat difficult time just getting someone to pay the rest of Edwin's 2011 contract. With the comp pick, there was the idea you could get something, but it wasn't worth another comp pick, $10 million in salary savings and a top pitching prospect in Stewart.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
The Daily News writer covering the Phils proposed a Brown, Singleton and Cosart deal for Carlos on Tues.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillie...the-farm--.html

It was interesting to see the 61 comments on his article. Would a 1 for 1 deal be that far fetched?

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
I'd take that in a heartbeat.

It's interesting that a lot of his readers like Quentin more than Pence. And some feel that Brown isn't all that. While they feel that all 3 would be way too much, one guy said Brown and Kendrick might be worth it for Q. Another guy said Brown, one of the "3 baby aces" [thinking May, Colvin or Cosart] and a lesser prospect.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
The Daily News writer covering the Phils proposed a Brown, Singleton and Cosart deal for Carlos on Tues.

It was interesting to see the 61 comments on his article. Would a 1 for 1 deal be that far fetched?

That would be an amazing trade for the Sox

Danny Knobler of CBS Sports tweeted that the Red Sox would certainly try for Quentin if he became available. It sure seems the market may be right to strike a deal. Esp. if major league ready pieces were part of a deal for Carlos--thinking Brown from the Phils or Reddick and a SP like Kyle Weiland from Boston. Then the sox would still be competitive for 2011.

http://twitter.com/#!/DKnobler/statuse...605972046422016

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)

There was apparently alot of internal discussions with the Sox on this from then and moving forward. Like I said before more than "background work." The good news is KW is waiting for our series with Boston to be over to make a serious move and that will only move the price up for desperate teams. You HAVE to move CQ for that package.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
That would be an amazing trade for the Sox

From that earlier article quoting Charlie Manuel, he knows the window for the Phils to win is 2-3 years. Quentin would be amazing get for them, with his power, OBP and RH bat. I wouldn't expect a deal like what the writer Murphy proposed. But something with Brown would be very nice.

I like Brown, but Quentin is the kind of player you build around not trade off. He's had his injury issues but he's playing a pretty solid RF and is a yearly 30 HR/ 100 RBI threat. Brown has a long way to go show half of what Q has shown. They say he's maturing and not so hard on himself anymore. The guy was going to be league MVP if he doesn't hurt himself two yeasr ago. If De Aza shows anything, you have a young OF of him, Q, and Viciedo for years to come.

I wouldn't be mad if they traded and recived Brown but I'd rather keep Quentin.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
I like Brown, but Quentin is the kind of player you build around not trade off. He's had his injury issues but he's playing a pretty solid RF and is a yearly 30 HR/ 100 RBI threat. Brown has a long way to go show half of what Q has shown. They say he's maturing and not so hard on himself anymore. The guy was going to be league MVP if he doesn't hurt himself two yeasr ago. If De Aza shows anything, you have a young OF of him, Q, and Viciedo for years to come.

I wouldn't be mad if they traded and recived Brown but I'd rather keep Quentin.

You dont build around a guy who's career high in games played is 131. He's injured constantly and is inconsistent offensively. He's exactly the type of guy you sell high.

Edited by RockRaines