Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?

Steve9347

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Is he supposed to be good? His stats look awful in his limited playing time.

He was supposed to be good. Top prospect for them a year or 2 ago. Consensus was pretty much that he was an elite 3B prospect in the bigs. Pending the price, I'd love this move if you buy low on someone with his talent. His AA and AAA numbers the past 2 years are pretty damn good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
But not in the majors. He reminds me too much of Matt LaPorta

I dunno, his seems more an opportunity problem; a .760 OPS (101 ops+) at age 23 in 148 at bats wasn't terrible.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gamelma01.shtml

He had 17 at bats last year, and only has 27 this year. The rumor doesn't even key on who the Sox are offering up and might be completely bogus, but hey, it's Trade Winds!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)
I dunno, his seems more an opportunity problem; a .760 OPS (101 ops+) at age 23 in 148 at bats wasn't terrible.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gamelma01.shtml

He had 17 at bats last year, and only has 27 this year. The rumor doesn't even key on who the Sox are offering up and might be completely bogus, but hey, it's Trade Winds!

Pitching.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
So we trade Teahen only to replace him with his younger, cheaper self?

Gamel does have some good potential. We'd give him a shot at 3b it would seem. However, price is going to be high for him since he's Prince's replacement.

I like the idea. Assuming you buy low on Gamel. THis is the type of thing the Sox have historically done a good job on. Fly under the radar on prospects with talent that might need a change of scenery.

Would they have interest in adding yet another reliever? Put Thorty in the pen to go with what they have and that would be a sick pitching staff (rotation + pen). Of course we'd need more than just Gamel in a deal involving Thorty.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
I like the idea. Assuming you buy low on Gamel. THis is the type of thing the Sox have historically done a good job on. Fly under the radar on prospects with talent that might need a change of scenery.

He'd be far superior to Morel offensively at 3b