Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?

Steve9347

As much as I can't stand Rios, if we don't unload him by Sunday then a platoon with ADA might actually make sense, at least for awhile.

Looking at the #'s, ADA is significantly better against righties (927 vs 749 OPS this year), while Rios has always hit lefties better, and even this year is a not-incredibly-awful 657 vs. LHP - 520 vs RHP. He'll only get about 30% of the AB's, and we'll see if that lights a fire under him, since nothing else has.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
As much as I can't stand Rios, if we don't unload him by Sunday then a platoon with ADA might actually make sense, at least for awhile.

Looking at the #'s, ADA is significantly better against righties (927 vs 749 OPS this year), while Rios has always hit lefties better, and even this year is a not-incredibly-awful 657 vs. LHP - 520 vs RHP. He'll only get about 30% of the AB's, and we'll see if that lights a fire under him, since nothing else has.

I'd rather platoon Rios with Dunn. Against Righties Dunn DH, Q RF. Against Lefties, Rios RF Q DH.

Of course I'd rather they either get rid of Rios or just use him as a fourth OFer.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
I'd rather platoon Rios with Dunn. Against Righties Dunn DH, Q RF. Against Lefties, Rios RF Q DH.

Of course I'd rather they either get rid of Rios or just use him as a fourth OFer.

These scenarios wouldn't bother me either. It would just be nice to not sell him off at the absolute lowest ebb of his value. Eating ~60% instead of 80%+ of his deal could save significant coin.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
What do you mean? We bought very low on him, and are selling very low on him.

When you agree to assume that size contract from a player you are without a doubt buying high. Toronto had to let him go bc they couldnt afford a two high paid outfielders assuming most of their salary cap on a team that couldn't contend. If you remember, kw thought so highly of rios the move was to block Detroit (possibly minnesota) from claiming him at the time because we were contending for a division with them if my memory serves me right. So yeah, to unload him assuming 25-30 mil on his K like people were saying would be selling low.

Edited by Special K

Here's more from this Twitter bird...

The latest I received from my source is that the only snag in the deal is $ shipped with Rios and prospect/s from the Brewers.

That's being worked out right now, from what I am told.

Odds that this get's done is good. However, I have not spoken with my source since the Weeks injury.I doubt that would snag this deal

Take it for what it's worth, if I wanted to pick players and teams to produce some far fetched rumor/trade, why on earth would I pick these players, and these teams. Nothing against the Brewers and White Sox,but if I wanted to play games, it would be a bigger market/names.

I have no rooting interests in either ball club,nor players involved in trade being negotiated.I'm not a beat writer, blogger, no website to plug,could absolutely care less about followers,etc.Just a normal guy with an inside track to a trade that's being worked out.

Depends on how much salary they have to eat and how much other talent (Thornton/Danks/Quentin) they have to give up.

Most would agree that Rios is as close as you can get to a negative "net presence" (especially sulking on the bench, in what looks to be his future role)...but how much is JR willing to eat from his wallet for KW's mistake?

It has to sting even more when we undoubtedly could have sold high on him this offseason. Yeah, hindsight being 20/20 and having no replacement beyond DeAza/Danks/Lillibridge, obviously that was a big part of the reason the move wasn't made, too.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
If this happens, there are a lot of people on this board who stand to eat some crow based upon comments earlier today.

I'd be first in line and would gladly start munching. :D

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Any name(s) of the studs we have to give up in order to dump him?

If you seek within this thread - you will find all information that is currently known.