Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?

Steve9347

This deal has to be false, I think the dude could possibly be getting tested for leaks, for lack of a better pun

None of it has been even slightly hinted at anywhere else, even the Peavy and Ejax deals were eventually acknowledged rather quickly after k0na put it out there

This was put out there during the day, during prime rumor time and not a single hint of it has popped up anywhere else

Not buying it

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
This deal has to be false, I think the dude could possibly be getting tested for leaks, for lack of a better pun

None of it has been even slightly hinted at anywhere else, even the Peavy and Ejax deals were eventually acknowledged rather quickly after k0na put it out there

This was put out there during the day, during prime rumor time and not a single hint of it has popped up anywhere else

Not buying it

Not at all.

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Not happening. Why would anyone want Rios, even if they can have him for nothing?

Bob

Guys, because Carlos Gomez broke his collarbone. They're literally playing Mark Kotsay in the OF. Remember Mark Kotsay?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
Guys, because Carlos Gomez broke his collarbone. They're literally playing Mark Kotsay in the OF. Remember Mark Kotsay?

I've seen him make a couple OF errors this year.

On ground balls.

That rolled to him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)

And because Carlos Gomez broke his collarbone - they literally couldn't replace him with someone better than Alex Rios? Remember, Alex Rios?

;)

Tuche.

I don't believe this at all, however...

If you have no options for CF (and people are intrigued by Rios potential regardless of how he has been doing) why not get Rios, Thornton, and maybe Escobar with a big chunk of Rios salary getting picked up?

They gotta go for this division now, rolling the dice on Rios may not be all that bad an option.. hell at least they wouldn't be stuck with the contract as we would more than likely paying a LOT of it.. plus they would get Thornton as well

I see how it could make sense, but unfortunately I don't see us escaping Rios until his contract is ovah

I still don't know if this rumor makes much sense, but I really see KW trying to do what worked for him in the past...

First, he acquires a starting pitcher on the cusp of starting (of course, will Stewart be more like Floyd or Marquez?).

Then, he turns to acquiring an undervalued or blocked prospect (e.g., the Quentin trade). If he trades CQ, could KW be thinking of Gamel in LF and Viciedo in RF in 2012?

I'd approve of just about anything to rid of Rios, especially if the Sox didn't have to send too much money, but is Gamel really a better option than Morel at 3rd? His offense looks just this side of bad, although with very limited action. How's his defense?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
I'd approve of just about anything to rid of Rios, especially if the Sox didn't have to send too much money, but is Gamel really a better option than Morel at 3rd? His offense looks just this side of bad, although with very limited action. How's his defense?

His defense supposedly makes Wilson Betemit look like a gold glover.

The Brewers are getting less performance from 3b than the White Sox have gotten, yet they haven't brought Gamel up yet. Brent Morel would be a significant upgrade for them on offense.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Based on this thread, it appears is defense is SO bad that the Sox would legitimately have a "where would he play?" situation considering that 1B and DH are tied up for awhile.

LF, it sounds like.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Based on this thread, it appears is defense is SO bad that the Sox would legitimately have a "where would he play?" situation considering that 1B and DH are tied up for awhile.

He is a decent LF.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
So if the Sox were to acquire Gamel he'd most likely end up in Charlotte? Or, was there speculation that Morel would go to the Brewers?

If we traded for him right now, I'd guess LF in Charlotte to work at that position before a callup.