Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?

Steve9347

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting That's a phenomenal idea

Look at that page. Before all of the Sox stuff, his last tweet was one about the draft in April. And before that, his last tweets were in September of last year. I wouldn't rule that theory out.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call BS on this rumor. You don't trade a key component of your team ( thorrnton) who could get you a hell of a lot more talent just to salary dump Rios. And worst of all you trade him for a mark teahan type who you just dumped. If brewers are even remotely interested in Rios, just waive him and let them put in a claim and have him.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
I call BS on this rumor. You don't trade a key component of your team ( thorrnton) who could get you a hell of a lot more talent just to salary dump Rios. And worst of all you trade him for a mark teahan type who you just dumped. If brewers are even remotely interested in Rios, just waive him and let them put in a claim and have him.

Sure you do. Thornton is about to be 35 and is very expensive. This rumor is BS because even if you throw in Thornton, they wouldn't take Rios.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)

Unless you are salary dumping to sign Pujols in the offseason to play for the Sox new manager Tony La Russa. This rumor has to be BS. I wish there was some truth to it.

One mans trash is another mans treasure, if you pay 90% of Rios contract Im sure you can find a team that would basically take Rios as a flier. You hope in a new environment he gets his head straight and hes a steal. If he doesnt you can do whatever because you only paid a few mil for him.

(not saying this rumor is legit, just that you could deal Rios)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
One mans trash is another mans treasure, if you pay 90% of Rios contract Im sure you can find a team that would basically take Rios as a flier. You hope in a new environment he gets his head straight and hes a steal. If he doesnt you can do whatever because you only paid a few mil for him.

(not saying this rumor is legit, just that you could deal Rios)

If the Sox waived Rios, he would have another job in a few days making minimum while the Sox pay him off, but how much are the Sox willing to eat? If it is nothing, then no one wants Alex Rios. If its half, than maybe possibly there's a chance someone might take him, but I don't see JR eating that kind of money.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
maybe thats why the Sox are hesitant to deal Quentin cuz of Viciedo's injury, if the Rios deal is pretty much complete according to that guy, they wouldn't have any1 to replace RF besides Lillibridge.

I think that this being complete BS is more likely. ;D

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 01:03 AM)
maybe thats why the Sox are hesitant to deal Quentin cuz of Viciedo's injury, if the Rios deal is pretty much complete according to that guy, they wouldn't have any1 to replace RF besides Lillibridge.

If Rios can be traded, KW would play RF himself if he had to.

You do when said salary dump has an enormous contract.

And we dumped Teahen not only because he sucked, but because he was also due money. Gamel is cheap

The Brewers are about to lose one of the elite run producers in the game after the season due to finances. You think they're going to claim Rios and pick up the rest of his contract? This very well and probably is BS. But if there's a shred of truth to this and we really want Rios gone, we're eatin' some money. A LOT of money.

I am confused about why we would seemingly have interest in trading two players on the major league roster - one a very good lefty reliever- for an infielder who has been up for short stints with Milwaikee in 4 seasons and failed to stick including this year. In 2009 the guy had 128 at bats and struck out 54 times. We have a high strike out guy now so why do we need another one? A contest maybe? Don't give me the line of shedding salary either thank you very much. Don't see any spot for him in the infield either.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
I am confused about why we would seemingly have interest in trading two players on the major league roster - one a very good lefty reliever- for an infielder who has been up for short stints with Milwaikee in 4 seasons and failed to stick including this year. In 2009 the guy had 128 at bats and struck out 54 times. We have a high strike out guy now so why do we need another one? A contest maybe? Don't give me the line of shedding salary either thank you very much. Don't see any spot for him in the infield either.

...shedding Rios's contract

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

Because one of those "major league" players is due a lot of money that hampers your payroll while performing like a minor league player

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
The Brewers are about to lose one of the elite run producers in the game after the season due to finances. You think they're going to claim Rios and pick up the rest of his contract? This very well and probably is BS. But if there's a shred of truth to this and we really want Rios gone, we're eatin' some money. A LOT of money.

That's why there's potentially a grain of truth here. We still might be able to get a team to take on a nonzero amount of Rios's deal.

This isn't even a rumor. Rumors are based on some semblence of logical conclusion (such as a team need, etc) and an "insider source" like Rosenthal, Heyman, Morosi, etc

This is utter nonsense stirred up by some jamoke on the twitters.

PS - I was also told Mat Gamel kinda sucks.

Did you see what I did there?

:)

Edited by Anderson Cooper's Quivering Lip

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Shedding Rios' salary is not areason to trade Thornton for someone we probably can't use. I think Rios can be dealt by himself. Anything is possible. I was told sometime earlier no one would take Teahan either

No one would ever touch Rios with a 100-foot pole by himself. I can guarantee that. Thorton is good, but we have Sale who is looking to be as good, if not better than Matt right now and in the future. Ohman has been perfect as the LOOGY. If you get rid of that salary of Rios, you are a heck of a lot closer to being able to compete for the next few years.

Shedding Rios' salary is not areason to trade Thornton for someone we probably can't use. I think Rios can be dealt by himself. Anything is possible. I was told sometime earlier no one would take Teahan either

Can you ship me several pounds of whatever you're smoking?

I just threw up in my mouth. What are you talking about? What do you mean somebody will take Rios by himself? You can't be serious. If you're serious then I'm going down the street to this fat girl's house that likes me to have fun with her because fat girls never say no.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I just threw up in my mouth. What are you talking about? What do you mean somebody will take Rios by himself? You can't be serious. If you're serious then I'm going down the street to this fat girl's house that likes me to have fun with her because fat girls never say no.

would she say no if you had puke in your mouth?