Rumor: Rios/Thornton to Brewers for Gamel?

Steve9347

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
He'd be far superior to Morel offensively at 3b

Who wouldn't.

If we wanted to take a gamble on an underachieving third base prospect, KW should make a move for Ian Stewart. At least he can play some defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Gamel does have some good potential. We'd give him a shot at 3b it would seem. However, price is going to be high for him since he's Prince's replacement.

I was under the impression that Gamel wasn't really part of the Brewers future anymore.

He also has some serious work to do with his approach. He looks like Russ Branyan/Ross Gload at bat, and thats a terrible combination.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
Cause it would be hard to be worse, and the question about Gamel has never really been his offense.

Really, if there were no question about his offense, wouldn't he be in the majors already, at least moved to a new position?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
Really, if there were no question about his offense, wouldn't he be in the majors already, at least moved to a new position?

LF Braun

1B Prince

RF Corey Hart

DH - it's the NL

Where exactly are you playing him, Balta? They've thrown him at 3rd a few times, but come on, not everything is as cut and dry as you always want it to be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
Cause it would be hard to be worse, and the question about Gamel has never really been his offense.

agreed. Has there ever been a player that has gotten more of a free pass than Morel? The rios and dunn struggles have really hidden the fact that this guy has been abysmal on offense

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
LF Braun

1B Prince

RF Corey Hart

DH - it's the NL

Where exactly are you playing him, Balta? They've thrown him at 3rd a few times, but come on, not everything is as cut and dry as you always want it to be.

Ahead of Casey McGee and Josh Wilson at 3b?

Here's a question for you. Which team has a worse OPS on the season at 3b, the White Sox or the Brewers?

I'll give you a moment to ponder that since I'm typing the question.

The Brewers have actually gotten less production at 3b than the White Sox have this year. They've gotten a .537 OPS out of their 3b spot, but they haven't used Gamel to replace that position. Brent Morel at 3b would be an upgrade of 30 points of OPS for them.

So, Matt Gamel is not replacing Brent Morel for the Sox.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
agreed. Has there ever been a player that has gotten more of a free pass than Morel? The rios and dunn struggles have really hidden the fact that this guy has been abysmal on offense

The difference is Morel is a rookie who is playing great defense and making the league minimum. How angry can you be about that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Ahead of Casey McGee and Josh Wilson at 3b?

Here's a question for you. Which team has a worse OPS on the season at 3b, the White Sox or the Brewers?

I'll give you a moment to ponder that since I'm typing the question.

The Brewers have actually gotten less production at 3b than the White Sox have this year. They've gotten a .537 OPS out of their 3b spot, but they haven't used Gamel to replace that position. Brent Morel at 3b would be an upgrade of 30 points of OPS for them.

So, Matt Gamel is not replacing Brent Morel for the Sox.

I didn't list 3B because it's clear he shouldn't be playing 3b. You stick his ass in the outfield.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
I didn't list 3B because it's clear he shouldn't be playing 3b. You stick his ass in the outfield.

Then why did this particular discussion start with fathom saying "He'd be far superior offensively to Morel at 3b"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Then why did this particular discussion start with fathom saying "He'd be far superior offensively to Morel at 3b"?

I think we'd give him a shot at 3b...unless we trade the rest of our starting corner outfielders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
I think we'd give him a shot at 3b...unless we trade the rest of our starting corner outfielders.

Then why have the Brewers not done so when Brent Morel is significantly outproducing their 3b spot?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)

Let me jump into fathom's melon and figure that one out. Why don't you reply to his posts and ask him that question?

Yes, I don't think there's any question that Gamel would hit better than Morel. However, he'd be an abomination fielding the hot corner on a consistent basis.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Doesn't mean he still doesn't suck on offense

All 3 of those guys suck on offense, I am telling you why his case is DIFFERENT. Who are you going to give the more slack to, the guys who are making over $12M a year, doing terrible on offense, are aging veterans in the league, and while one is playing poor defense, the other plays almost NO defense, or the guy who makes league minimum, is doing terrible on offense, is a rookie in the league, and is playing great defense while hitting out of the 9th spot with very little expectations or reliance offensively?

It's pretty damn easy to see why people are more pissed off about Rios and Dunn than Brent Morel. Did I really need to spell that out?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)

Well, that argument would make sense if he hasn't played the vast majority of his career, including at the MLB level, at 3B.

And considering the Brewers still haven't made a position change, I think they would be willing to deal with the below average defense at 3B if they thought he would be able to hit at all.

I don't think the Brewers think he can hit MLB pitching.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
Well, that argument would make sense if he hasn't played the vast majority of his career, including at the MLB level, at 3B.

And considering the Brewers still haven't made a position change, I think they would be willing to deal with the below average defense at 3B if they thought he would be able to hit at all.

I don't think the Brewers think he can hit MLB pitching.

Yeah...with the fact that Casey McGeHee is also rated as below average fielding at 3b (-4.6 career UZR/150), Gamel's defense would have to be worse than has ever been seen by man for him to not make up the difference by putting up an .800 OPS.