Danks1 also on the market?

chisoxfan09

Links:

http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2011/07/mlb-...-on-the-market/

https://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/st...222026397782017

Apologies if this topics/links were posted but more fodder for the Trade Winds 2011 forum. Seems KW may also dangle Danks1 and the Yanks may bite. What kind of haul could we ask for? The Mariners by comparison are asking quite a high price for Bedard who is 6-7 years older and much more fragile than Danks1.

Link: http://twitter.com/#!/Sean_McAdam/stat...979281263493120

Thoughts?

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A trade of Danks should being no less than an absolute buffet of prospects, top prospects, with at least a couple major league ready. Danks is a bulldog, great pitcher, young, durable, can win big games...what in the hell would we want to move him for?

For NOTHING less than a pure overpayment. NOTHING LESS.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
A trade of Danks should being no less than an absolute buffet of prospects, top prospects, with at least a couple major league ready. Danks is a bulldog, great pitcher, young, durable, can win big games...what in the hell would we want to move him for?

Just curious, what kind of value do you think Danks has? He's not gonna pull a Sabathia/Lee/Halladay return of talent, at least I wouldn't bet on it

I agree, selling as high as we can on him would literally consitute capitulation and starting all over with the youth movement.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
Just curious, what kind of value do you think Danks has? He's not gonna pull a Sabathia/Lee/Halladay return of talent, at least I wouldn't bet on it

D1 isn't as good as those guys were...but he's also under team control for 1.5 years now, whereas Lee and Captain Cheeseburger were under team control for 0.5 years when they were dealt for Smoak and LaPorta.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
D1 isn't as good as those guys were...but he's also under team control for 1.5 years now, whereas Lee and Captain Cheeseburger were under team control for 0.5 years when they were dealt for Smoak and LaPorta.

There also could be literally nobody better than Danks on the market which would make him more valuable. We've heard rumblings of Felix, etc, but we really don't know if any of them will be moved.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

I have no idea what kind of value he has on the open market. However, you don't trade him just to trade him in an 'equal value' deal...what's the point? Just to say we traded him? That we're doing something?

I guess my overall point is I don't want Danks moved at all. I believe you win with guys like that. He has the moxie and talent to pitch in any situation against any team at any time and give us a great game. The only way I would even entertain the thought of moving him is if someone is desperate and will 'overpay'...

Then again, if the Yankees are willing to 'pay' us with Gardner and their 3 best prospects, by definition that sets Danks value.

There are many cases of overpaying for a player in trade...and John Danks is example exhibit A...if a team doesn't want to 'overpay' then fok them, we'll keep the talented young lefty for ourselves.

Asinine to even be considering trading JD anyway...

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
i think one of our fellow Sox posters who has inside sources said Danks most certainly isn't on the table unless they decide to burn it down and start over

I would say Danks is being asked about, but not dangled.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
I would say Danks is being asked about, but not dangled.

As a baseball fan I love this time of the year, but seeing this thread and Rosenthal (who knows his stuff) tweet has me thinking it's time to head to the liquor store.

You WIN with guys like Danks. I am literally sick to my stomach he's being mentioned here.

Jackson, had to be done...dumped a tree stump in the process. Got RP help for this year and good arm for down road. Thornton? Sure...we're safe in the pen for now and I think now may be the time to move him. I get it....I even get it with TCQ...love the guy, don't really wanna move him, but the timing may be right and maybe we can start to right some wrongs with that deal.

But trading John Danks? I aint seeing this one.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
As a baseball fan I love this time of the year, but seeing this thread and Rosenthal (who knows his stuff) tweet has me thinking it's time to head to the liquor store.

You WIN with guys like Danks. I am literally sick to my stomach he's being mentioned here.

Jackson, had to be done...dumped a tree stump in the process. Got RP help for this year and good arm for down road. Thornton? Sure...we're safe in the pen for now and I think now may be the time to move him. I get it....I even get it with TCQ...love the guy, don't really wanna move him, but the timing may be right and maybe we can start to right some wrongs with that deal.

But trading John Danks? I aint seeing this one.

I wouldnt count on Danks being traded.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
I wouldnt count on Danks being traded.

I sure hope not. He's a great fit on any staff...a bulldog, his numbers are always excellent, though it seems his run support always sucks.

Normally I don't give a flip about rumors and tweets, they are just fun to talk about, but when Ken Rosenthal speaks I get worried.

The Yankees can afford Rios. KW could package them to get Gardner and prospects. I'd have to be blown away to get rid of Danks. However, KW may know that we will only have Danks for another year and a half. That would put a big old dent in the payroll and MB56 would be back. Can't blame teams for asking.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Very tricky situation with D1 but you almost are guaranteed of a better haul with 1.5 years of him left than 0.5.

It would look bad, but if the Sox truly know that Danks will be gone after 1.5 years, getting a king's ransom for him might not be a bad idea. I like Danks a lot, but this team has had me so frustrated and ready for change that I'm open any moves that make the team better.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
It would look bad, but if the Sox truly know that Danks will be gone after 1.5 years, getting a king's ransom for him might not be a bad idea. I like Danks a lot, but this team has had me so frustrated and ready for change that I'm open any moves that make the team better.

I feel you here, but Danks is one of those guys you build around. Just his tenacity on the mount, his grit, his talent...he's a lot like Mark that way. Hell, much as I am down on Peavy, he has "it", that warrior mentality...I HATE giving up guys like this. I think you build with them, not build by moving them.

We need to be doing anything to get rid of the losers on this team (Rios) while securing our studs to play a part in this team winning again.

I love Danks....but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for the right package of players. Something like Gardner, Banuelos, Romine and another mid level spect, no mid level spect if they take Rios back (though we would still be on the hook for most of his $$). You then have two of your OF spots with young cheap guys in Viciedo and Gardner, you have your true lead off man in Gardner, and you have Banuelos who is probably ready for the rotation in 2013. Romine would be your C of the future and would also likely be ready in 13. This team could be remade into a bunch of young guys surrounding a couple vets (Dunn and PK) by 2013

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
I love Danks....but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for the right package of players. Something like Gardner, Banuelos, Romine and another mid level spect, no mid level spect if they take Rios back (though we would still be on the hook for most of his $$). You then have two of your OF spots with young cheap guys in Viciedo and Gardner, you have your true lead off man in Gardner, and you have Banuelos who is probably ready for the rotation in 2013. Romine would be your C of the future and would also likely be ready in 13. This team could be remade into a bunch of young guys surrounding a couple vets (Dunn and PK) by 2013

This is a trade I could consider. In fact, I like the scenario where Rios is included. That guy is one of the biggest bums who has ever worn Sox colors.

If the Sox want to move Danks, they won't move him now, unless of course we get swept or the team goes into full sell mode. I expect the Sox to continue to retool in the off-season and part of that retooling will likely involving making one last offer to Danks and if he doesn't accept, will involve moving him to another team.