BoSox @ ChiSox 7/29/11 Gamethread (7:10 CT/8:10 ET)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
Santos got all his outs on the fastball today

He's didn't really have great control on the slider, but it was enough that they couldn't time his fastball after seeing 2 or 3 sliders in a row.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 03:28 AM)
Beachy was dominant tonight. Sucks that the Braves are so unwilling to part with any of their 40 stud pitching 'spects for CQ.

You moan about our lousy offense and want to trade CQ, one of the two guys on our team that can hit? Confusing to me.

3 hits tonight and we win. We'll obviously take it, but wow, our offense is abysmal.

It makes sense for 2 reasons:

1) We have Viciedo to replace him

2) It's the same trade as Hudson for Edwin Jackson, 1 1/2 years versus 5 years of cost-controlled player (minus Holmberg)

3) We MIGHT be able to use some of that $7.5-9 million allocated to CQ (2012) to improve the team elsewhere

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
You moan about our lousy offense and want to trade CQ, one of the two guys on our team that can hit? Confusing to me.

3 hits tonight and we win. We'll obviously take it, but wow, our offense is abysmal.

Our offense sucks with CQ. Unless Dunn, Rios (barf), and 3-4 other guys start hitting at the same time, we're not going anywhere. I don't think this team has a chance in hell of getting to the World Series. If you can get pieces to set your franchise up from '12 and beyond, you pounce.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 04:05 AM)
Our offense sucks with CQ. Unless Dunn, Rios (barf), and 3-4 other guys start hitting at the same time, we're not going anywhere. I don't think this team has a chance in hell of getting to the World Series. If you can get pieces to set your franchise up from '12 and beyond, you pounce.

I don't really want to see 10 more shutouts the rest of the season.

Dealing CQ for pitching will not be good.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I don't really want to see 10 more shutouts the rest of the season.

Dealing CQ for pitching will not be good.

Not all the time greg seriously PWNs a poster. Nicely done.

Tim Wakefield pitched well but was denied his 200th victory as the White Sox beat the Red Sox, 3-1, before 27,513 at US Cellular Field last night.

The Red Sox have lost seven straight against the White Sox dating to last season, including four this year. Chicago is 14-5 (ACTUALLY, current 14-2 or 11-1 string because the Red Sox swept the ChiSox the first series in 2009) against Boston since the start of the 2009 season.

"They play good against us and that's basically it," said Dustin Pedroia, who was 0 for 4, snapping a career-best 25-game hit streak. “"We haven't played well. They've swung the bats great and pitched well."’’

The Sox lost two in a row for the first time in a month but have Jon Lester on the mound tonight.

Wakefield (6-4) allowed three runs on three hits over seven innings. He walked two and struck out five, with A.J. Pierzynski’s two-run homer in the seventh inning providing the winning margin. Instead of 200 wins, it was Wakefield’s 176th loss.

“I felt great. I had a lot of movement on the knuckleball all night. I just left one pitch up,’’ Wakefield said.

Gavin Floyd (9-9) went seven innings for the win, holding the Sox to one run on three hits. Matt Thornton pitched a perfect eighth before Sergio Santos closed out the game for his 22d save.

The Sox got their run on a homer by Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the third.

Floyd is 6-0 with a 3.47 earned run average in eight appearances against the Red Sox.

“"We've seen him pitch very well. He is a good pitcher," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “"When he's got all his pitches going, he goes through a lineup just like he did."’’

The Red Sox had only one hit over the final six innings and advanced just three runners beyond first base the entire game. Chicago pitchers retired the final 10 Sox batters. The game lasted 2 hours 10 minutes, the Red Sox’ quickest of the season.

“We're not used to that,’’ Pedroia said.

bostonglobe.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12