Home s*** Home

clyons

I realize that it may have been even further skewed by having hosted the league's top two teams on the last home stand (teams that we handled fine on the road), but can anyone explain why the team's home and away records are so different and the opposite of what one would normally expect?

I don't think it can be rightly labeled "pressure" to please the home crowd, since this is a veteran team and the crowds aren't even that big. I personally think its just "one of those things," and that the simple law of averages almost bodes well for the team, in that you'd expect the home record to come close to at least evening out over the course of the season, which would mean substantial improvement going forward.

Has anyone heard Ozzie or Kenny asked for their thoughts?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:19 AM)
I realize that it may have been even further skewed by having hosted the league's top two teams on the last home stand (teams that we handled fine on the road), but can anyone explain why the team's home and away records are so different and the opposite of what one would normally expect?

I don't think it can be rightly labeled "pressure" to please the home crowd, since this is a veteran team and the crowds aren't even that big. I personally think its just "one of those things," and that the simple law of averages almost bodes well for the team, in that you'd expect the home record to come close to at least evening out over the course of the season, which would mean substantial improvement going forward.

Has anyone heard Ozzie or Kenny asked for their thoughts?

Maybe the booing and empty seats is adding up?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
So this year's lack of success can be directly blamed on lack of support from the fans?

I'm not saying all, but judging by the splits, you have to wonder if it is contributing, especially because it has gotten worse as people have stayed away, and those who have come have gotten more aggressive in their dissent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I'm not saying all, but judging by the splits, you have to wonder if it is contributing, especially because it has gotten worse as people have stayed away, and those who have come have gotten more aggressive in their dissent.

It could be true, although I would hope my team would be more mentally tough than that. However, their performance in April/May and some of those awful late losses really helped contribute to the fans dissent and their absence.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Why? You don't think you would do better at work in a hostile environment, do you?

Hostile? You're completely exaggerating. When do the fans boo? After the 3rd strikeout by Adam Dunn? You make it seem as if the fans are booing from the 1st pitch all the way until the last out.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Hostile? You're completely exaggerating. When do the fans boo? After the 3rd strikeout by Adam Dunn? You make it seem as if the fans are booing from the 1st pitch all the way until the last out.

The guys who are struggling the most also have played the worst, and are getting the harshest receptions. Their numbers are also worse at home.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
The guys who are struggling the most also have played the worst, and are getting the harshest receptions. Their numbers are also worse at home.

In case you haven't noticed, fans didn't start booing at the beginning of the season when these guys started off horribly. It takes time for the fans to turn against you.

And thank goodness the players or management aren't using this lame ass excuse because I'd be livid if they did.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
In case you haven't noticed, fans didn't start booing at the beginning of the season when these guys started off horribly. It takes time for the fans to turn against you.

And thank goodness the players or management aren't using this lame ass excuse because I'd be livid if they did.

And their slides have accelerated as their treatment got worse.

Seriously, tell me how you would handle a group of people yelling at you for your every screw up at worK?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
And their slides have accelerated as their treatment got worse.

Seriously, tell me how you would handle a group of people yelling at you for your every screw up at worK?

You're comparing a finance job to a professional athlete's? There's no reason to continue this conversation. SMH

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
You honestly think that the booing and jeering has no effect on a player?

When do fans boo the pitchers? I don't recall that being a problem yet the team ERA is almost a half run higher at home.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
When do fans boo the pitchers? I don't recall that being a problem yet the team ERA is almost a half run higher at home.

So the offense is worst at home, the pitching is worst at home, and it has nothing to do with the negatives that happen when the Sox are at home. Yeah.