London Riots

Jenksismyhero

Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this since the UK is in the same boat as we are (less the rioting).

Thought this would be a good article to start some discussion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...sed-youths.html

I have a feeling liberals will hate it and conservatives will applaud it.

The Daily Fail? Ugh. Sorry, I just refuse to get my news from a paper with a topless chick on page 3. It's like treating the NY Post as reputable (which is actually an insult to the Post).

Anyway, the mainstream (i.e. credible) papers have been spouting a very similar line.

I also don't think that the situation is terribly similar to ours. This has been going on a lot longer. They've had much higher unemployment than we have for a really long time. The only surprising thing to me is that this took this long; I honestly started expecting this when France was having all those troubles (last year?). (Okay, and I'm surprised that this is being confined to England. I would have thought Glasgow would be up in smoke by now too.)

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this since the UK is in the same boat as we are (less the rioting).

Thought this would be a good article to start some discussion:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-...sed-youths.html

I have a feeling liberals will hate it and conservatives will applaud it.

Yeah, those Asian dudes running the Western Union shop that got destroyed totally looked like rich oppressors of the poor (er, in this case, suburban brats acting up because a drug dealer got whacked).

I hope next time a looter shows up to wreck those guys' livelihoods, claiming that he's just showing the rich that he can do what he wants, the dude with the mini mutton chops beats him to death with a steel pipe.

Little bastards deserve it.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
The Daily Fail? Ugh. Sorry, I just refuse to get my news from a paper with a topless chick on page 3. It's like treating the NY Post as reputable (which is actually an insult to the Post).

Anyway, the mainstream (i.e. credible) papers have been spouting a very similar line.

I also don't think that the situation is terribly similar to ours. This has been going on a lot longer. They've had much higher unemployment than we have for a really long time. The only surprising thing to me is that this took this long; I honestly started expecting this when France was having all those troubles (last year?). (Okay, and I'm surprised that this is being confined to England. I would have thought Glasgow would be up in smoke by now too.)

Well yeah, but it's an editorial piece, not a report.

I think the guy makes a lot of good points, especially regarding a generation of youths that have grown up without role models, without aspirations, without concern for the future. That's what i'm referring to when I say we're in the same boat. I don't think our position is as bad....yet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
Well yeah, but it's an editorial piece, not a report.

I think the guy makes a lot of good points, especially regarding a generation of youths that have grown up without role models, without aspirations, without concern for the future. That's what i'm referring to when I say we're in the same boat. I don't think our position is as bad....yet.

Yeah, our kids have LeBron James to look up to. I mean the guy killed JFK and won 2 straight MVP awards.

The article in the OP is pretty dumb (oh my, where have the manners gone?!) but this is accurate:

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
Yeah, those Asian dudes running the Western Union shop that got destroyed totally looked like rich oppressors of the poor

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
The writer of that OP article is more than a BIT bitter.

Jesus...not the most optimistic dude in the world.

Makes Fathom and I seem like Richard Simmons or Tony Robbins. Well, maybe I shouldn't go THAT far.

He's just a dumb extremist British politician using this as an excuse to tar policies he's railed against for decades with s***ty arguments.

The riots are going to result in using this authoritarian crack-downs in the UK. they're already talking about limiting social networking sites. Pretty hilarious given how vital of a role they played in the Arab Spring and how their ability to thwart oppressive governments' attempts to block communication was widely cheered in the West.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
He's just a dumb extremist British politician using this as an excuse to tar policies he's railed against for decades with s***ty arguments.

The riots are going to result in using this authoritarian crack-downs in the UK. they're already talking about limiting social networking sites. Pretty hilarious given how vital of a role they played in the Arab Spring and how their ability to thwart oppressive governments' attempts to block communication was widely cheered in the West.

And Obama wants an Internet off switch!!!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)

Never let a good crisis go to waste, eh?

QUOTE (Soxy @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)

Can you please give me a linky to page 3?

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
Yeah, those Asian dudes running the Western Union shop that got destroyed totally looked like rich oppressors of the poor (er, in this case, suburban brats acting up because a drug dealer got whacked).

I hope next time a looter shows up to wreck those guys' livelihoods, claiming that he's just showing the rich that he can do what he wants, the dude with the mini mutton chops beats him to death with a steel pipe.

This is the second time you've been told this within the week. We do not tolerate death wishes in the Filibuster.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)

They should be arrested and thrown in jail for a long time, but that's a lot extreme. I hope they get caught and put in jail a long long time and I hope the shop owners had insurance.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
They should be arrested and thrown in jail for a long time, but that's a lot extreme. I hope they get caught and put in jail a long long time and I hope the shop owners had insurance.

I'm pretty sure your insurance doesn't cover that.

Something interesting is that while the riots were taking place- much of the media included quotes from this politician or that police officer pointing a finger at "feral, lawless youth". I read an article yesterday detailing the initial court appearances by many of the rioters who were caught, and it mentioned that on the contrary, a good portion of those who had charges brought against them were typical people. Teachers, post-officers, lifeguards, an 11 year old child were the examples given. Oldest they mentioned was a 53 year old with an otherwise pristine record.

Hmmm....

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Can you please give me a linky to page 3?

Just google Page 3 girls--it's a cottage industry there.

Although be warned: that's where Jordan (oops--I mean Katie Price) came from.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Something interesting is that while the riots were taking place- much of the media included quotes from this politician or that police officer pointing a finger at "feral, lawless youth". I read an article yesterday detailing the initial court appearances by many of the rioters who were caught, and it mentioned that on the contrary, a good portion of those who had charges brought against them were typical people. Teachers, post-officers, lifeguards, an 11 year old child were the examples given. Oldest they mentioned was a 53 year old with an otherwise pristine record.

Hmmm....

Uh oh. People are getting rather frustrated.

Do you think the world will ever return to prosperity for more than the few wizards who hit the jackpot with startup companies that skyrocket and the people who inherit wealth from their parents?