White Sox vs. Indians

The Bones

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Thank God it's over, seems most were about to give up if they didn't score there.

Greg will be happy to be able to tout Pierre's clutch hitting the last 2 months, sure-fire signs of Ozzie Guillen pure genius for sticking with him all season.

8-1 against the Indians now in 2011.

1 game over .500

Ozzie sticking with Pierre worked. Pierre was showing signs of being his normal self by and large not much more than 6 weeks into the season. Clearly Ozzie has been rewarded for that because Pierre has been pretty much what he's always been and that is a solid leadoff hitter. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible.

But I'm sure people will still say he deserves no spot on a MLB roster. I vividly remember multiple people telling me how the Sox were starting a guy at the top of the order who wouldn't even be the 25th guy on any other roster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
Ozzie sticking with Pierre worked. Pierre was showing signs of being his normal self by and large not much more than 6 weeks into the season. Clearly Ozzie has been rewarded for that because Pierre has been pretty much what he's always been and that is a solid leadoff hitter. Nothing amazing, nothing terrible.

But I'm sure people will still say he deserves no spot on a MLB roster. I vividly remember multiple people telling me how the Sox were starting a guy at the top of the order who wouldn't even be the 25th guy on any other roster.

I remember the same...Juan's been our second-best hitter for about 2 months now.

Always seems to be a second half player as well.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
check out the pitch counts for this game 3 Indian relievers threw less than 10 pitches.

Their pen will be fine tomorrow. The Sox, not so much.

Yes, but we have the bullpen saver (Buehrle) going.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
I remember the same...Juan's been our second-best hitter for about 2 months now.

I should point out, those posters were right, they were just referring to the wrong player. Who knew Dunn would be so so terrible. Always thought he was overrated, but man is he bad. And I personally have zero expectation of him getting out of his funk this year. The Sox only hope is that his struggles are related to lost confidence and potentially being out of shape. Because if it isn't those things, we are in trouble.

My eyes tell me he has real slow bad speed and a swing that isn't in the hitting zone very long. Basically put, he looks done and if he doesn't have a good start to the year, I will consider him Done.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)

Plus he is just amazing in the clubhouse and such a hard work. Guys like that, I have to respect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
I should point out, those posters were right, they were just referring to the wrong player. Who knew Dunn would be so so terrible. Always thought he was overrated, but man is he bad. And I personally have zero expectation of him getting out of his funk this year. The Sox only hope is that his struggles are related to lost confidence and potentially being out of shape. Because if it isn't those things, we are in trouble.

My eyes tell me he has real slow bad speed and a swing that isn't in the hitting zone very long. Basically put, he looks done and if he doesn't have a good start to the year, I will consider him Done.

That skillset usually does not decline rapidly...I think it's a mental issue.

Hopefully PK can help him with whatever he did in 2003-2004 to get his confidence back.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
That skillet usually does not decline rapidly...I think it's a mental issue.

Hopefully PK can help him with whatever he did in 2003-2004 to get his confidence back.

The one thing I remember is how in the presteroid era there are many example of guys, sluggers included, who just fall of the ledge. Richie Sexson is an obvious one that comes to mind. Of course he was in the steroid era. I can also remember Mo Vaughn and Cecil Fielder both declining a bit in the early 30's. Albeit, both were still relatively productive.

Greg will be happy to be able to tout Pierre's clutch hitting the last 2 months, sure-fire signs of Ozzie Guillen pure genius for sticking with him all season.

Of course I will.

I was jumped for saying Juan is a "good" baseball player.

He is a good baseball player.

I stand by that statement and I'm glad he got the hit and we beat those assholes.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:33 AM)
Most of what people say about rios is based on his body language and their ignorance. No one here really knows what he is thinking, but so many think they do.

perception is everything and it's about what everyone sees, noone needs to know what he is thinking..... if you go out there and dont hustle it looks like you dont give a damn, the performance from him isnt what bothers me as much as his lack of hustle that is obvious to everyone, we've seen him when he is on and has hustled so noone can tell me that we are ignorant when we've watched 2 different alex rios in 2 seasons, one who hustles when things are going well and the latter of what we've been seeing this season

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:17 AM)
Of course I will.

I was jumped for saying Juan is a "good" baseball player.

He is a good baseball player.

I stand by that statement and I'm glad he got the hit and we beat those assholes.

You were jumped on because you were saying that when he was listed as the absolute worst player in the major leagues, so dont jump on your soapbox and act like we were all crazy for saying it at the time.

And he is not "good". He is sufficient. He is having a good streak, coming on the heels of an epically bad streak.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
You were jumped on because you were saying that when he was listed as the absolute worst player in the major leagues, so dont jump on your soapbox and act like we were all crazy for saying it at the time.

And he is not "good". He is sufficient. He is having a good streak, coming on the heels of an epically bad streak.

Good streak. His numbers are pretty much in line with his career numbers. And contrary to popular belief, he has not had a bad career. He's had a pretty damn good career and is a solid player and a quality leadoff hitter. Exception, no, but quality..yes.