AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNAAAAAAH!!!

TheBigHurt

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this box score will go down in history as one of the most bizarre.

2B - Paul Konerko (20), Tyler Flowers (1), Gordon Beckham (12), Brent Morel 2 (13)

3B - Alejandro De Aza 2 (2), Alex Rios (1), Alexei Ramirez (2), Tyler Flowers (1)

HR - Juan Pierre (2)

SB - Alexei Ramirez (7, 2nd off Durbin/Santana), Gordon Beckham (5, 2nd off Jimenez/Marson), Brent Morel (3, 2nd off Huff/Santana)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 03:22 AM)
22 hits. PK with 4 . He's really amazing . Looked much improved running and extended his hitting streak to 12. Morel with 4 also 2 doubles. De Aza 3 hits 2 triples. Flowers hits the ball damn hard when he connects. 5 triples most by a Sox team since 1920 and increased their season total from 8 to 13 in one night. Juan with a HR and the key hit that ended the marathon. Now just a 1/2 game behind the Indians. Just a crazy game and one that was frustrating and a joy to watch.

That was both one of the most fun games ever and a typically frustrating game to watch. I would have been really mad, had they lost....which sadly is what I was expecting when it went into extra innings.

I thought it was pretty funny when Beckham doubled. It sure looked to me as he went into 2nd that he was thinking triple. Wisely, he held up with the double.

QUOTE (dielac @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 02:15 AM)
We lose a game and we are the worst team ever. We win this game and the division is ours... Lets settle down people. 1/162.

Yeah, but this is the first time the Sox have been over .500 since mid-April. There is definitely cause for celebration here, yo.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 07:05 AM)
After Crain loaded the bases I was getting ready to bash Ozzie for leaving him in too long but it worked out. We definitely should have scored off Durbin his first inning he was out there, real frustrating, but I'll take any win.

I was right there with you - Crain really showed me something last night. He looked spent, his slider was rolling up there so he just dug deep, reached back and got them with the heater. Great stuff, really great. Love the competitive spirit he has.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
GREAT job by Frasor/Crain. Not the Seattle radio psychiatrist, but the late inning White Sox bullpen tandem.

This deserved some recognition. Nice wit you got there.

Last night's game was pretty miserable to watch. I am glad we won (pleased even) but its hard to get excited about this team when you see the glaring weaknesses on a consistent basis.

Really happy for Lucky Pierre, didn't think he'd have a job at this point. He's proved myself and countless others wrong.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Unfortunately, yup.

Seriously?

Ignoring for the moment the whole "what kind of fan are you" thing, look at this team. They've tended to do better against higher levels of competition. They are very good on the pitching side. These are both things that would make them more dangerous in the playoffs than their record would indicate.

They may get whomped in the playoffs, but I'll happily take those chances over staying home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Seriously?

Ignoring for the moment the whole "what kind of fan are you" thing, look at this team. They've tended to do better against higher levels of competition. They are very good on the pitching side. These are both things that would make them more dangerous in the playoffs than their record would indicate.

They may get whomped in the playoffs, but I'll happily take those chances over staying home.

But then we might be stuck with Ozzie for another season oh-mah-gah, i wish they'd just lose 90 games rather than run the risk of having our pitching dominate a playoff series.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
Hey, it's not like a goal is winning the division or anything.

The goal is only to win the division if it's clear we won't, then fire everyone. If we do have a legit shot at winning, it doesn't really matter because the team sucks, it only counts if the Twins win and then get swept.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
The goal is only to win the division if it's clear we won't, then fire everyone. If we do have a legit shot at winning, it doesn't really matter because the team sucks, it only counts if the Twins win and then get swept.

But if we win the division, we can't fire everyone...maybe we should fire everyone the day before we clinch the division, so we can fire everyone, AND win the division.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
Seriously?

Bingo.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)

Jensky, do you only show up to mock other posters when the Sox win? Because I never see you around otherwise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Liking the manager/GM is more important than the team succeeding....got it.

Ugh, I've driven my point into the ground a hundred times, but it still won't stop people from making these ignorant "assumptions".

The Sox will not do well in the playoffs. Sure, they can pull the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals, but they won't. As the Red Sox and Yankees just recently showed us, we can't beat good teams, at least when it matters. Winning this division by merely being slightly less bad than our competition will only result in a quick playoff exit and the maintaining of the current front office and managerial staff. It will likely mean that they are all kept around for a few more years, at the minimum. In my opinion, this front office and managerial staff has proven to be underachievers (even by "winning" this division in 2011, they will have greatly underachieved). With them going forward, we will see the same old story year in and year out. So yes, I would prefer to go in another direction at the expense of a no-chance opportunity at the World Series.

I have my eyes set on the future of the team, whereas most pretty much just want the results now. Question my fanhood all you want, but I'm the one willing to stick with this team through a rebuilding process in order to pursue a greater chance at continuous contention (not in the sense of being the tallest midget, as it has been for the last few years in this division) in the future. But I suppose I should just want results immediately, which will almost certainly be to the long-term detriment of the team. That would make me a real fan.