AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNAAAAAAH!!!

TheBigHurt

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
I think that would take Florida opening up the talent pool.

If the Sox really want to fire him, and they offer the lowest level rookie ball player they should take it. It saves them from either another year of Ozzie, or paying two managers next year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Nothing to base it on? C'mon. The complete dismantling in one week by the Red Sox and Yankees when we had pressure on us to get over .500 and back into it? Our last playoff appearance? Our complete lack of hitting? The penchant for our manager to play underachieving players regularly and to be outmaneuvered by opposing managers?

I know, I know. The 2006 Cardinals and our good pitching staff. But the Red Sox have a fairly decent pitching staff of their own, and even if we hold their offense down, I'm sure their pitching would hold our offense further down.

You're going to base your opinion on 6 games? Despite the fact that we've historically fared very-well against the Yankees and Red Sox and beat the almighty Red Sox in a playoff series before?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
You're going to base your opinion on 6 games? Despite the fact that we've historically fared very-well against the Yankees and Red Sox and beat the almighty Red Sox in a playoff series before?

I mentioned many more things than those 6 (which I think was actually 7) games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
It is possible, by the way, that the Sox win the division, AND Ozzie is gone in the offseason. Not likely, but possible. That is my ideal scenario.

Only way that one happens is if Ozzie desperately wants to go to Florida and tells Jerry that.

If we win the division, our record is going to be decent.

People will be proclaiming Ozzie manager of the year for winning with a big ox hitting .160 and so many guys having blah seasons.

Detroit's not going to blow the lead. Oz haters don't need to worry. He's off to Florida.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I mentioned many more things than those 6 (which I think was actually 7) games.

Yeah, I didnt't count the one we won.

I think you can agree that your reasoning, while correct from a strictly odds-based scenario, is at the best, entirely speculative.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
Yeah, I didnt't count the one we won.

I think you can agree that your reasoning, while correct from a strictly odds-based scenario, is at the best, entirely speculative.

It's also speculative to say that they can go on a huge run in the playoffs, although it's far more unlikely.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
I guess so :lolhitting

It's fine, I understand your logic...and I would agree with it much more if this were basketball or football...but sports like hockey and baseball and soccer, there are all kinds of instances of lesser-talented teams winning because of the ability of one position to dominate a game.

In hockey and soccer it is the goalkeep. In baseball, it's obviously the starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
I don't think I need to explain the significant difference there.

For the record, that wasn't a shot at you, just making fun of my idiocy from January.

I've pretty much agreed with you 100 percent this year on the organization, on this team, etc but I do totally disagree with you on cheering for them not to make the playoffs. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the point you're trying to get across but I guess I'm of the opinion that even if we don't get into the playoffs that there's a decent chance that no changes will be made.

I want this team to make the playoffs AND make changes next year but I truly believe that neither of those are going to happen. 2nd place finish and the same crap going into next year. Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I really have 0 faith in this organization to do anything correct.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
For the record, that wasn't a shot at you, just making fun of my idiocy from January.

I've pretty much agreed with you 100 percent this year on the organization, on this team, etc but I do totally disagree with you on cheering for them not to make the playoffs. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the point you're trying to get across but I guess I'm of the opinion that even if we don't get into the playoffs that there's a decent chance that no changes will be made.

I want this team to make the playoffs AND make changes next year but I truly believe that neither of those are going to happen. 2nd place finish and the same crap going into next year. Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I really have 0 faith in this organization to do anything correct.

You, sir, are a negative nelly and I want you removed from this board at once.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)

Thanks for the clarification. And yes, I have the same lack of faith.

I haven't read much of the thread...just shortly past Milk's post. So much of what I will say has probably been said. Just take it from a generally optimistic point of view.

I want this team to win the division. It's the idealist in me, but I truly believe this team has the capability and firepower to win a World Series. They have a fantastic pitching staff, and underachieving yet improving offense, great defense, and a manager who has won one before.

At the same time, I realize that Guillen and Williams are generally in need of replacing. Guillen because his act has grown sour and Williams because this team needs reinforcements from the minors, those of which he seemingly inevitably trades.

I can expand on this, but generally, the Sox are in a

Catch~22 that works both ways. I will be satisfied regardless of the outcome.