Dunn

DetroitSoxDog

I know a lot of people think this is all mental and because of that, Dunn should be back to what he was next year. I don't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion. What is sitting around all winter going to do to rectify that? If anything, I'd rather it be something physical, then healing would come into play. I do think that is the spin the Sox will use, something like he came back from his apendecomy too soon or something else and that he fought through some pain.......you know the drill. If they do, it will be a bigger indictment on the organization seeing they had someone ready to go in his place.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I know a lot of people think this is all mental and because of that, Dunn should be back to what he was next year. I don't understand how anyone could come to that conclusion. What is sitting around all winter going to do to rectify that? If anything, I'd rather it be something physical, then healing would come into play. I do think that is the spin the Sox will use, something like he came back from his apendecomy too soon or something else and that he fought through some pain.......you know the drill. If they do, it will be a bigger indictment on the organization seeing they had someone ready to go in his place.

Basically, it's hope.

And a realistic aknowledgement that if Dunn isn't back to close to the usual Dunn next year, we're not going to be fielding a winning team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)

One of my concerns with Dunn is how opposing teams - namely pitchers - view him. Who is going to be afraid of Adam Dunn now? Pitchers will come right after him and try to strike him out, which will decrease his walk rate. No one will be afraid of challenge him and I'm not that sure the guy will make them pay for challenging him. Remember how we were all salivating about the "big lefty bat" in the middle of the line up?

I would kill to see Dunn traded back to the NL. I know that probably won't happen and I'll still root for him as long as he is in a White Sox uniform, but still...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
One of my concerns with Dunn is how opposing teams - namely pitchers - view him. Who is going to be afraid of Adam Dunn now? Pitchers will come right after him and try to strike him out, which will decrease his walk rate. No one will be afraid of challenge him and I'm not that sure the guy will make them pay for challenging him. Remember how we were all salivating about the "big lefty bat" in the middle of the line up?

I would kill to see Dunn traded back to the NL. I know that probably won't happen and I'll still root for him as long as he is in a White Sox uniform, but still...

It's surprising that some pitchers still walk him occasionally.

He hasn't hit a home run in a long time and I think it'd be fun to try to whiff him 3-4 times.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)

At least they got him away from Paulie in the Sox line up. What amazed me was how long it took for opposing teams to stop letting Paulie hurt them with an automatic out and most likely a strikeout right behind him. 8th place hitters in the NL get walked all the time to face a pitcher. Why wasn't Paulie getting walked to get to someone who is hitting like a pitcher?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
Basically, it's hope.

And a realistic aknowledgement that if Dunn isn't back to close to the usual Dunn next year, we're not going to be fielding a winning team.

I agree and that's because that's all we have right now. If he can't come back in 2012 then this is just one huge colossal explosion. Can it be that he just doesn't have it anymore? Do you lose it that fast? If the reports are true that he dpesn't physically condition himself in the off season and doesn't pick up a bat till spring training then that just has to change. Dunn is the only one who can change that.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
I agree and that's because that's all we have right now. If he can't come back in 2012 then this is just one huge colossal explosion. Can it be that he just doesn't have it anymore? Do you lose it that fast? If the reports are true that he dpesn't physically condition himself in the off season and doesn't pick up a bat till spring training then that just has to change. Dunn is the only one who can change that.

No, the reports are he conditions himself fine, just not through swinging a bat.

I honestly think there is more of a chance that he accepts some king of partial buyout to retire early than go throught 3 more years of what he has experienced this year. This guy is not some Jaime Navarro. He is honourable and rich. He doesn't need to hear the boos for 3 more years. I think he will do whatever it takes to turn it around with a different conditioning program in the off-season and if he continues next year like it's 2011, he won't even go through the whole 2012 season.

QUOTE (ottawa_sox @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
I honestly think there is more of a chance that he accepts some king of partial buyout to retire early than go throught 3 more years of what he has experienced this year. This guy is not some Jaime Navarro. He is honourable and rich. He doesn't need to hear the boos for 3 more years. I think he will do whatever it takes to turn it around with a different conditioning program in the off-season and if he continues next year like it's 2011, he won't even go through the whole 2012 season.

you really think he would leave 40+ million on the table? i doubt that

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
The problem is we have to keep thinking about him for 3 more seasons cause until the contract runs out, there's always the chance he reverts to the old Dunn and some diehards will insist he's going to get it back.

Hopefully our fans won't bite this winter when we hear all the glowing reports of Dunn getting in shape; Dunn hitting off a tee; Dunn improving.

I would hope they won't buy season tickets until Dunn is removed from the roster. How can you pay thousands to watch that guy?? Just seeing him whiff and hit into DPs would have to ruin an otherwise enjoyable ballpark experience. I hate Rios as well, but at least Rios is still hitting over .200.

Dunn is an F.

Rios' grade is D to D-.

Williams got what he deserved.

He took it out on Edwin Jackson that he wasn't flipped last summer for Dunn - couldn't wait to get rid of him.

After Kenny realized had been played yet again, he ends up signing Manny to that fiasco of a contract

Had Dunn come last summer and turned out to be the colossal stiff he is, no way does Kenny sign him and all that money,

He didn't want Jackson around to remind him of one of his many category 5 blunders and of course Rios is right there too.

Edited by mcgrad70

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Williams got what he deserved.

He took it out on Edwin Jackson that he wasn't flipped last summer for Dunn - couldn't wait to get rid of him.

After Kenny realized had been played yet again, he ends up signing Manny to that fiasco of a contract

Had Dunn come last summer and turned out to be the colossal stiff he is, no way does Kenny sign him and all that money,

He didn't want Jackson around to remind him of one of his many category 5 blunders and of course Rios is right there too.

Problems with this post.

1. The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Manny Ramirez to that contract. Kenny Williams claimed the last shards of him last year.

2. Adam Dunn still put up an .800+ OPS last year in the 2nd half. Kenny Williams might well have resigned him.

3. Acquiring Adam Dunn would have cost the White Sox Dayan Viciedo in 2010. In that case, the White Sox would have almost been forced to keep Dunn around...just to cover for the fact that they had lost their only remaining hitting prospect.

4. The Edwin Jackson trade-away was actually a solid deal and I'm still content with it. That might well prove to be Kenny Williams's best deal since 2008.

It´s getting harder and harder to watch Dunn whiff on a regular basis. It will never happen but this is why we need a better CBA (Similar to NFL CBA) to avoid getting locked into these ridiculous guaranteed contracts in sports. The majority of athletes that get them don´t deserve them. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Problems with this post.

1. The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Manny Ramirez to that contract. Kenny Williams claimed the last shards of him last year.

2. Adam Dunn still put up an .800+ OPS last year in the 2nd half. Kenny Williams might well have resigned him.

3. Acquiring Adam Dunn would have cost the White Sox Dayan Viciedo in 2010. In that case, the White Sox would have almost been forced to keep Dunn around...just to cover for the fact that they had lost their only remaining hitting prospect.

4. The Edwin Jackson trade-away was actually a solid deal and I'm still content with it. That might well prove to be Kenny Williams's best deal since 2008.

All outstanding points.

LOL, I love this "Dunn is hitting off a tee" talk as if the media will hype that this winter. If I hear that sometime during the offseason being purported as if it's something to be excited about I'll just about puke. I can hit off a tee. Doesn't mean I can play baseball in the bigs...

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:50 AM)
It´s getting harder and harder to watch Dunn whiff on a regular basis. It will never happen but this is why we need a better CBA (Similar to NFL CBA) to avoid getting locked into these ridiculous guaranteed contracts in sports. The majority of athletes that get them don´t deserve them. Just my 2 cents.

there is no way the MLBPA lets that happen

I would sit him the rest of the year, on the pretense that they want to see what Viciedo can do on a regular basis.

Next, I would tell him to play Winter Ball. That way there would be a legitimate opportunity for him to demonstrate that he has reacquired the hitting skills which he has mysteriously lost. That would be a much better basis upon which to proceed next Spring. It would also showcase him for a possible trade. No team is going to take him based upon reports that he is in "great shape", and hitting the ball really well, off a tee!!!

If he fails to produce in Winter Ball, and Spring Training, they should sit him at the beginning of next year. I don't care how much money they're paying him, there is no reason to sabotage the entire season just because they made a bad investment.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I would sit him the rest of the year, on the pretense that they want to see what Viciedo can do on a regular basis.

Next, I would tell him to play Winter Ball. That way there would be a legitimate opportunity for him to demonstrate that he has reacquired the hitting skills which he has mysteriously lost. That would be a much better basis upon which to proceed next Spring. It would also showcase him for a possible trade. No team is going to take him based upon reports that he is in "great shape", and hitting the ball really well, off a tee!!!

If he fails to produce in Winter Ball, and Spring Training, they should sit him at the beginning of next year. I don't care how much money they're paying him, there is no reason to sabotage the entire season just because they made a bad investment.

+ 1

Regarding retirement, from Dunn's standpoint, I believe his contract is backloaded so the real big paydays come in '13 and '14. I am sure it's not easy to say no to an additional $32M or whatever it is for those last two years. Despite it all I know I'd be tempted to take the money. Who knows what will happen but frankly I cannot see him rebounding from this as it appears its a perfect storm of diminishing skills/bat speed and him going mental at the same time. He also looks like he doesn't miss a meal as well, which doesn't help matters.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
+ 1

Regarding retirement, from Dunn's standpoint, I believe his contract is backloaded so the real big paydays come in '13 and '14. I am sure it's not easy to say no to an additional $32M or whatever it is for those last two years. Despite it all I know I'd be tempted to take the money. Who knows what will happen but frankly I cannot see him rebounding from this as it appears its a perfect storm of diminishing skills/bat speed and him going mental at the same time. He also looks like he doesn't miss a meal as well, which doesn't help matters.

It's $15 million a year in 2013 and 2014, $30 total.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
It's very important for '12 and onward to get Dunn hitting. He needs to be playing every day and hitting in front of Konerko to see if he can get pitches he can handle.

I agree with you, assuming that the organization has given up entirely on this season. If they still think that this team has a remote shot at post season play, do you really want him batting in the middle of the order?