Gamethread: White Sox vs Rangers

Kyyle23

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 03:24 PM)
Lillibridge in one of those stretches right now where he has such a short, compact swing. Love to see it, as well as De Aza coming up big against a LHP. And balta, wasn't Delmon coming off of a really good month when the Tigers got him?

How do you define really good? If youre defining based on a normal corner OF, the answer is no. If you're comparing to say, a White Sox DH or something like that....well...Had a .754 OPS in June (hit .321, but 1 HR and 2 walks, and y'all tell me its a failure when Brent Morel does that). OPS in July went down, .744. He's over .800 in August, but that's now because he's hitting HR for the Tigers.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
I see that mighty Tiger pitching staff took it on the chin today. Hope that doesn't disappoint too many around here.

But it wasn't nearly as bad as "ace" Jimenez in one single inning...he made it an almost impossible comeback.

Now that they're within 1 run, they really need to win or it's much worse than just getting blown out.

The Indians using Joe Smith....arguably their most effective short reliever...in the 5th and 6th innings today.

Ozzie Guillen could learn something there from Acta's bullpen usage. Could have just as easily tanked that game...or not used Smith when down by 2 runs. Ozzie would have put in Ohman or Stewart there undoubtedly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
how can you in good conscience ever give Dunn another start this season. I know, I love beating a dead horse. But Lilli even hits for more power and plays better 1B.

And yet you hear folks calling for Lilli to be traded

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
But it wasn't nearly as bad as "ace" Jimenez in one single inning...he made it an almost impossible comeback.

Now that they're within 1 run, they really need to win or it's much worse than just getting blown out.

Seems the Tribe gave up a couple top pitching prospects who are performing very well in the minors

I have been asking what the "nasty factor" is tht you see on MLB Gameday. I hjave never got an answer so I Googled it:

In case anyone else is interested

The "nasty" field is presumably a crude attempt to calculate how hard to hit a particular pitch was, on a scale of 0-100. My initial cursory look at the data indicates that they are calculating the "nasty" factor mostly based on the location of the pitch, a linear calculation of how close it is to the edges and away from the heart of the zone. For the fastball, MLBAM does not appear to be including anything related to the movement or speed of the pitch into the "nasty" factor. For the curveball, they appear to be rating sweeping curveballs as significantly more nasty than 12-to-6 curveballs. Anyway, I'm not sure that any of this matters as more than a curiosity. As a sabermetric community we have much better approaches available for measuring the nastiness of a pitch.

)

There really is so much that can still go positive for the Sox this year, even if they can't catch the Tigers. Seeing De Aza and Flowers fight for at bats, while hoping Rios can start to turn it around are three of the things I'll be watching the closest. It would also be great to see Stewart string together some positive starts the rest of the way.