Would You Sign Danks to the "Weaver" Deal?

Disco72

To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What Would You Do With John Danks Between Now and Opening Day 2012?

• Sign him to the Weaver Deal (5/85)
    • Sign him for less than Weaver (he's not worth 5/85)
    • Sign him for more than Weaver (he's worth more than 5/85)
    • Trade him for prospects
    • Wait until the July 2012 trade deadline
    • Drink heavily

There's a discussion on this going on in the Diamond Club forum, but I think it is useful to bring the discussion into PHT.

Weaver is a Boras client one year away from free agency. He just signed an extension with LAA for 5 years @ $85 million that is considered below market value, but it also could define what a "hometown discount" might look like for a pitcher like Danks.

So, here's the question: what would you do with John Danks if you were KW?

This isn't a debate about what Danks WOULD sign for, instead, it is what you would offer to him or do with him between now and Opening Day 2012. Clearly, most SoxTalkers would be in favor of trading him IF he doesn't agree to the contract offered, but what contract would you offer (if any)?

Take into account your view of what Danks is worth and what the Sox could afford (in your opinion).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danks is just not as good as Weaver. But I don't think Danks best days are behind him. When his ERA this season is inflated by 1 or 2 horrible performances, he's clearly as good as his median ERA, not his average. Wins have very little to do with how good a pitcher is. I expect to see Danksy getting a 4 year 58 million dollar deal on the open market. We simply can't afford that (I assume). Our best bet is to trade him in the off season, as much as I'd hate to see him go.

I loved him since his days as a prospect in Texas forming the DVD trio (with Volquez and Diamond). Still has alot of potential left and at age 26, his best days are well ahead. Absolutely, but like I've said before, I think highly of him than most here. Though I've said give him Buehrle money (4/56), Weaver is a bit more than that.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
I loved him since his days as a prospect in Texas forming the DVD trio (with Volquez and Diamond). Still has alot of potential left and at age 26, his best days are well ahead. Absolutely, but like I've said before, I think highly of him than most here. Though I've said give him Buehrle money (4/56), Weaver is a bit more than that.

Danks has essentially been the same pitcher for going on 4 years now. There's really no upside. That's not a bad thing. But Clayton Kershaw he's not.

I'd only sign him for less than Weaver. I can't stomach another pitcher making $17 (or more) on the Sox for an extended period of time. While the contract might be below market value (were he to sign it), I just have to agree with JR's typical reluctance to sign pitchers to long term (and presumably high money) contracts. Peavy (and Zambrano and Zito, etc) have pretty much proven how quickly such contracts can become problematic.

Since signing him for less than Weaver is highly unlikely, it probably means trading him for prospects in the off-season while trying to re-sign Buehrle.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Danks has essentially been the same pitcher for going on 4 years now. There's really no upside. That's not a bad thing. But Clayton Kershaw he's not.

Like I said, you won't change my opinion on him at all. This is the same guy who put up a 138 ERA+, 1.22 WHIP at age 23. No doubt in my mind he will improve going into his prime. Still sad to see he has s*** for luck getting wins with this organization (which is what misinformed media outlets see and go by their opinion). Hard to believe a 107 ERA+, 1.31 WHIP, 1.8 WAR is his worst year since his rookie season (hell he had 6 wins with worse numbers in 07).

Edited by SoxAce

I can't see a 5 year deal for any pitcher coming from the Sox. Plus, I'm not certain he's worth $17 million a year. He's most likely got plenty of good years ahead of him. I could see the Sox offering 3/$45 or maybe 4/$60, but that would be a stretch. If they're not going to pay him at least $15 million/year, they'd be better off trading him for a load of prospects.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Like I said, you won't change my opinion on him at all. This is the same guy who put up a 138 ERA+, 1.22 WHIP at age 23. No doubt in my mind he will improve going into his prime. Still sad to see he has s*** for luck getting wins with this organization (which is what misinformed media outlets see and go by their opinion). Hard to believe a 107 ERA+, 1.31 WHIP, 1.8 WAR is his worst year since his rookie season (hell he had 6 wins with worse numbers in 07).

The best GM in baseball (my avy) would've gotten something done with Danks by now. Just like he took care of Romero, who is f***ing sick, and is now one of the top 10 bargains in the sport.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
I can't see a 5 year deal for any pitcher coming from the Sox. Plus, I'm not certain he's worth $17 million a year. He's most likely got plenty of good years ahead of him. I could see the Sox offering 3/$45 or maybe 4/$60, but that would be a stretch. If they're not going to pay him at least $15 million/year, they'd be better off trading him for a load of prospects.

Even I can agree with this. No way you give him Weaver money if the sox go that route.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)

I know he's still young, but what is it that he is suddenly going to start doing that is going to allow him to unlock this potential?

I just don't see it...

Say the Sox bring back everyone for next year. Here's how i think the starters will rank at the end of the year:

1.) Sale

2.) Danks

3.) Floyd

4.) Buehrle

5.) Stewart

6.) Peavy

7.) Humber

That top 5 has potential. One problem is Peavy is going to have to pitch and be paid. If you think Peavy can come back to something resembling his NL form, they can withstand the loss of Danks.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)

If he hits FA there's no way he signs with us. I say that with confidence. That's why I felt it was imperative to deal him before the deadline. But, of course, because we were still 'in it,' we stood pat. So now what teams (the ones with good farms) are willing to give up a significant package for a year of Danks? Braves? They go about 19 deep in starting pitching. Rangers? Already have Wilson/Holland/Perez from the left side. Rays? Don't need him and couldn't afford him, anyway. Yankees? They'd probably just wait until he became a FA than give up any talent. Maybe the Red Sox? See Yankees.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
Say the Sox bring back everyone for next year. Here's how i think the starters will rank at the end of the year:

1.) Sale

2.) Danks

3.) Floyd

4.) Buehrle

5.) Stewart

6.) Peavy

7.) Humber

That top 5 has potential. One problem is Peavy is going to have to pitch and be paid. If you think Peavy can come back to something resembling his NL form, they can withstand the loss of Danks.

That's just a bit ambitious

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)

1.) Sale

2.) Danks

3.) Floyd

4.) Buehrle

5.) Stewart

6.) Peavy

7.) Humber

This is simply NOT going to happen and the sooner Sox fans realize this the better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
The best GM in baseball (my avy) would've gotten something done with Danks by now. Just like he took care of Romero, who is f***ing sick, and is now one of the top 10 bargains in the sport.

What makes you think Boras would have let Danks sign a similar contract that Romero did? Other than succumbing to AA's hypnotic powers and charming looks?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
Even I can agree with this. No way you give him Weaver money if the sox go that route.

That's just it... This isn't really "Weaver money" even though he signed this deal. Weaver on the open market pulls down somewhere between 20-25 million annually, for 6 to 8 years.