Indians awarded claim on Thome

justBLAZE

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Yes Im sorry that I havent given up on the team yet....even though we still are in the hunt. :gosox3:

Some of you guys are starting to portray Cub-like delusional optimism. I just don't seen anything about this team that exudes "Championship caliber".

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
What I'm saying is that, yes, it would make their team better. But it doesn't matter because it's already over. For the Orioles, it is in stone that it is already over. For the Sox, it's over in all but the mathematical sense.

The Tigers need to play one game over .500 just to get to 87 wins.

The Sox need to win 2/3 of their games to get to that same number.

It's just not going to happen.

The math assumes a lot. The tigers might play 7 games under for all we know.

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
lol in the end I think there is about a 20 percent chance we claim him.

I hope you see my rationale, as I'm pretty sure I understand yours. It comes down to you and others thinking that there still is a legitimate shot for the Sox to both win the division and go deep into the playoffs. Therefore, Thome would help in that. On the other hand, I don't think they have any chance at all to win a series in the playoffs and that they'd be extremely lucky to even make it there. Therefore, it would be useless to pick up Thome and it would screw him over as well.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
I hope you see my rationale, as I'm pretty sure you understand mine. It comes down to you and others thinking that there still is a legitimate shot for the Sox to both win the division and go deep into the playoffs. Therefore, Thome would help in that. On the other hand, I don't think they have any chance at all to win a series in the playoffs and that they'd be extremely lucky to even make it there. Therefore, it would be useless to pick up Thome and it would screw him over as well.

Well its that and thinking about what Sox management would do. What would Ozzie do sort of thing.

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
The math assumes a lot. The tigers might play 7 games under for all we know.

And the Sox might continue what they've done all season or worse. I think being almost 5/6 of the way through the season, though, we have a pretty good idea of what's coming.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Some of you guys are starting to portray Cub-like delusional optimism. I just don't seen anything about this team that exudes "Championship caliber".

Who said this was championship caliber?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
I'm sure they do. But with no reason to watch, why bother?

Because I'm a fan of the team. I don't have to believe they're something special to watch them. Like I said, I watched all of 2007. I don't have to delude myself into thinking they're in competition to watch them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
And the Sox might continue what they've done all season or worse. I think being almost 5/6 of the way through the season, though, we have a pretty good idea of what's coming.

Maybe you do. I don't buy into the idea that our past performance this year is indicative of what will happen for the next 6 weeks. It may provide us with an answer on what is likely, but not what will actually happen.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Maybe you do. I don't buy into the idea that our past performance this year is indicative of what will happen for the next 6 weeks. It may provide us with an answer on what is likely, but not what will actually happen.

You know what they say. Those who don't learn from history...

And when you say two months, are you including the potential playoffs? Because there is only slightly more than a month left of the regular season.

EDIT: Oops, you edited it lol

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
yeah that was just an oversight

I can use history to support my argument too. The tigers blowing a late season lead?

The only time the Sox ever finish strong is when they're already eliminated, minus the one constant outlier of 2005. They choke away leads in August and September until they're out, then they have a nice week or two to finish the season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
The only time the Sox ever finish strong is when they're already eliminated, minus the one constant outlier of 2005. They choke away leads in August and September until they're out, then they have a nice week or two to finish the season.

Well there are precedents that show things can go a number of ways, so I won't predict that the sox are out of it just yet.

I dont think its a good idea to bash people who are optimistic for the rest of the season. Thats THEIR prerogative and frankly its nice to have positive people on this boards. That should not be a reason to personally attack them or their position IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I dont think its a good idea to bash people who are optimistic for the rest of the season. Thats THEIR prerogative and frankly its nice to have positive people on this boards. That should not be a reason to personally attack them or their position IMO.

Personally attack?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)

I agree there hasn't been anything about this team that made me think of them as championship caliber. But, I'm going to still watch the games, cheer when they win, b**** when they lose. I honestly think it'll take at least a moderate collapse by Detroit for the Sox to have a chance. As far as claiming Thome, I don't have a problem with it...for the Sox. But Thome could definitely be put to better use on another team...one that has a much better chance of reaching the post season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
That has been my point this entire time. It does not benefit the Sox to claim him, so why do it? It only serves to screw him out of a chance to win a title.

WHat is does is screw the Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Brewers/Braves out of someone to help THEM. I don't give two s***s about any of those teams, why would I want any of them to get BETTER? Sorry Jim, you chose poorly at the beginning of the season, regardless of how they 'looked' at the beginning.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
WHat is does is screw the Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies/Brewers/Braves out of someone to help THEM. I don't give two s***s about any of those teams, why would I want any of them to get BETTER? Sorry Jim, you chose poorly at the beginning of the season, regardless of how they 'looked' at the beginning.

How was it a poor choice to re-sign with the team that won the division handily last year? Was he supposed to have the foresight to see that they were gonna be riddled with injuries? What's wrong with wanting a classy player like Thome to have the chance to finally get a ring? Sure we have a slight chance to make the post season, but he would be much better off in Philly or somewhere like that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
How was it a poor choice to re-sign with the team that won the division handily last year? Was he supposed to have the foresight to see that they were gonna be riddled with injuries? What's wrong with wanting a classy player like Thome to have the chance to finally get a ring? Sure we have a slight chance to make the post season, but he would be much better off in Philly or somewhere like that.

Nothing wrong with rooting for Jim, but not gonna do it at the cost of helping one of those other teams. And it WAS a poor choice, in hindsight. He took a chance, and it didn't work.

5.5 games in 5 weeks... when the Sox have 6 games against them, a whole bunch against mediocre or worse teams... after Wednesday they are done with all the big teams in the other divisions (NYY, BOS, LAA, TEX)... and DET has shown all year they aren't consistent or that good, except for Verlander and Valverde. This is far from over.