Virginia Earthquake

G&T

A monster 2.2 earthquake just hit. At first I thought I was dizzy, then I realized things were moving in my office, then I went back to work...then I posted this.

Edit: looks like this was from the DC quake? and that magnitude isn't right.

Edited by G&T

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
A monster 2.2 earthquake just hit. At first I thought I was dizzy, then I realized things were moving in my office, then I went back to work...then I posted this.

See, now I'm excited, so I had to go check some maps.

Are you sure that it was the 2.2? I think that was earlier in the day. A legitimate one actually just struck near D.C., Northern Virginia, 15 minutes ago, I'd guess that was actually what you felt. Current estimated magnitude is 5.9.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)

Are you sure that it was the 2.2? I think that was earlier in the day. A legitimate one actually just struck near D.C., Northern Virginia, 15 minutes ago, I'd guess that was actually what you felt. Current estimated magnitude is 5.9.

I edited. I just saw what the USGS had for my area then I saw CNN and realized what happened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)

I was about to ask if a 2.2 could even be considered a monster earthquake :lolhitting

It seems like that would be more equivalent to a truck driving by your house.

I just posted this elsewhere where someone asked why there was an earthquake at a spot like this.

The East Coast of the U.S. is littered with old fault lines from when the Atlantic Ocean opened up about 200-250 million years ago. Most of these fault lines are inactive, but with time, the rocks settle, water flow patterns change, and sediments pile on top of the old faults. On occasion, the movement of water, sediment, and settling generates enough force to reactivate one of the old faults and actually produce a quake.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)

Edit: looks like this was from the DC quake? and that magnitude isn't right.

By the way, if you actually felt this quake, please take a few minutes and fill out the USGS "Did you feel it" report. It actually helps build up seismic propagation maps when a lot of those reports come in.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I'm in Illinois, and at around 1, I was sitting at my desk chair, and I wondered if I was feeling an earthquake, because I was involuntarily moving in my chair.

So I'm going to say I felt it and it wasn't a bad lunch.

Poltergeist are the more likely cause.

So we need to start the pool to guess who is going to be the first to blame the earthquake on God's anger towards someone/thing.

I am scheduled travel to Charlottesville Sunday for a work conference. This earthquake was centered about 30 miles away and the hurricane appears to headed there this weekend, so maybe it's me.

I was on a conference call with people in NJ and NYC, and they suddenly said the building is shaking, and all jumped off. At first I thought maybe some sort of attack.

Sort of odd, a few hours earlier, there was a quake in southern Colorado that was the strongest that state has had in like 40 years. Coincidence?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
I was on a conference call with people in NJ and NYC, and they suddenly said the building is shaking, and all jumped off. At first I thought maybe some sort of attack.

Sort of odd, a few hours earlier, there was a quake in southern Colorado that was the strongest that state has had in like 40 years. Coincidence?

Yes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)

As hard as it is for me to believe that the world will end in 2012, it definitely seems like more and more crap like this is happening everyday :ph34r: :lol:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)

Not unless Gaddhafi unleashed some sort of earthquake causing secret weapon as his farewell act