Which of the underperfomers will figure it out in 2012?

NorthSideSox72

I think it's interesting, you have these three underperforming guys: Dunn, Rios and Beckham. In each case, something suggests they will turn it around, so, which is most likely? Least likely?

--Dunn has a long major league history of getting it done at the plate, regardless of poor technique or athleticism.

--Rios has long been lauded for having high end tools and talent, but not necessarily results.

--Beckham rocketed all the way to the majors in a year and succeeded briefly at each level, but has since failed to adjust consistently.

Which of the three is most and least likely to pull it out in 2012? No poll, just looking for what people think on this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
I think it's interesting, you have these three underperforming guys: Dunn, Rios and Beckham. In each case, something suggests they will turn it around, so, which is most likely? Least likely?

--Dunn has a long major league history of getting it done at the plate, regardless of poor technique or athleticism.

--Rios has long been lauded for having high end tools and talent, but not necessarily results.

--Beckham rocketed all the way to the majors in a year and succeeded briefly at each level, but has since failed to adjust consistently.

Which of the three is most and least likely to pull it out in 2012? No poll, just looking for what people think on this.

Gordon, if we get a new hitting coach.

Beckham is the most likely IMO.

Rios may turn it around for a partial season. I don't think he has the competitiveness to keep at it for 6 months.

Dunn is an issue. He does have a nice track record, but he's been historically bad this year. IMO, if this is mental, the pressure to be good is only going to go higher. The Sox can't market him because people will only laugh. If there is nothing physical causing this collapse besides aging, I'm sure they have tried every adjustment to be made, and he's getting blown away by guys he used to own, while he may be better next year, it really isn't saying much. He can improve greatly and still be terrible.

Beckham still has the carrot of a big payday in front of his nose.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'm surprised to see all the believers in Beckham. It's starting to get to that point where you can label him a bust, at least relative to his projections. Personally, I think Dunn is most likely to rebound simply because of his track record. Rios seems least likely.

Rios will have a big bounce back next season.

Beckham will do better IF the Sox have another hitting coach.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Dunn will never perform like he has in the past - until he returns to the NL.

Peavy will have a nice bounce back season in 2012 too.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
I still refuse to believe Dunn forgot how to hit after 10 years at the age of 31. I think he'll drop 20lbs and put up 40/100 next year

I don't think he'll want to lose 20 pounds.

It'll take working out all winter to pull that off.

I'd say hopefully Beckham cause those other 2 are done.

Rios doesn't care it appears; Dunn is just done.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Yes, it is.

Only if you want to be an "I told you so" type of person, and brag to everyone you knew he would be a bust. Of course if he isn't you could always fall back on the I'm glad I was wrong, Go Sox line.

He's obviously been a dissapointment, but he's still real young and we know he has it in him to be a really productive player. Whether it will come out is the question. I personally think it will, but the longer he goes without being really good for decent stretches, the longer the odds become.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Only if you want to be an "I told you so" type of person, and brag to everyone you knew he would be a bust. Of course if he isn't you could always fall back on the I'm glad I was wrong, Go Sox line.

He's obviously been a dissapointment, but he's still real young and we know he has it in him to be a really productive player. Whether it will come out is the question. I personally think it will, but the longer he goes without being really good for decent stretches, the longer the odds become.

Why is recognizing the reality that Beckham is very close to being a bust mean you are an "I told you so" kind of person? Someone or something has ruined Beckham's swing and I fear he's going down the same path that Borchard, Anderson and Fields did. As for the other two I expect no comeback from either of them. At least not in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
Why is recognizing the reality that Beckham is very close to being a bust mean you are an "I told you so" kind of person? Someone or something has ruined Beckham's swing and I fear he's going down the same path that Borchard, Anderson and Fields did. As for the other two I expect no comeback from either of them. At least not in a White Sox uniform.

Because he's 24 years old. He was drafted in 2008. That's not yet a bust. You could call the entire 2011 White Sox draft a bust right now and be correct on most. Its silly.

For all the people that want the Sox to dump all their good players and pick up prospects and spend more on the draft and sign more Latin players, they sure do not have any patience. If you are a bust 3 years after you are drafted, rebuilding will be miserable for anyone with that view. I read an article that it takes Dominican players about 8 years on average after they are signed to make it to the major leagues. That means they would be a bust for half a decade. Beckham's swing is long. We know what he can do if he can shorten it. Its up to him. He's definitely trying.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
Because he's 24 years old. He was drafted in 2008. That's not yet a bust. You could call the entire 2011 White Sox draft a bust right now and be correct on most. Its silly.

For all the people that want the Sox to dump all their good players and pick up prospects and spend more on the draft and sign more Latin players, they sure do not have any patience. If you are a bust 3 years after you are drafted, rebuilding will be miserable for anyone with that view. I read an article that it takes Dominican players about 8 years on average after they are signed to make it to the major leagues. That means they would be a bust for half a decade. Beckham's swing is long. We know what he can do if he can shorten it. Its up to him. He's definitely trying.

I hear you but I have little confidence in the current coaching staff to help him adjust. In fact, his swing has gotten progressively worse from Georgia to his rookie year to now.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I hear you but I have little confidence in the current coaching staff to help him adjust. In fact, his swing has gotten progressively worse from Georgia to his rookie year to now.

You could pin it on a coach or coaches, but ultimately Beckham knows what the problem is, and if he doesn't pan out, its on him. He's the one that has to adjust. Whether he can or not is the question. Knowing what you need to do and doing it hitting-wise are 2 very different things. You don't have time to think about a lot of things when the ball is coming. Everything has to be built in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)

I believe what you are saying is true. And I think Gordon Beckham will work on it. The team and fans have to excersise patience. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by elrockinMT