Which of the underperfomers will figure it out in 2012?

NorthSideSox72

I think Rios and Beckham are not far off from being prroductive. Rios has adjusted his hands a bit and it has helped him square the ball up. Beckham needs to shorten his swing and become more Jeter-like with an in out type of swing. Stay on the pitches longer and go the other way more. Dunn on the other hand has shown nothing to make one hopeful. All anyone can do with him is point to years past. If someone was more likely to age quickly, it would be someone that is very large. He is elephant-like with his quickness.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Only if you want to be an "I told you so" type of person, and brag to everyone you knew he would be a bust. Of course if he isn't you could always fall back on the I'm glad I was wrong, Go Sox line.

He's obviously been a dissapointment, but he's still real young and we know he has it in him to be a really productive player. Whether it will come out is the question. I personally think it will, but the longer he goes without being really good for decent stretches, the longer the odds become.

The bold part is pretty much what I said. You should probably read things more closely before painting me as something I'm not and attacking me for it.

Beckham is most likely. I say this because I believe that if he had come up with another team he would be a star now. The Sox don't know how to develop position players well. He might figure it out next year on his own. He's a smart kid and a real competitor.

Rios next because he clearly has the talent. Does he have the head ? I don't know.

Dunn will never play anywhere near the way he did before in the NL. He's not suddenly going to become a student of the game, a workout warrior or an intense competitor. Ain't gonna happen. He's getting old.

He never was a good ballplayer. Never had any ability to help his team win games except the dinger. He never cared too much. He was just a huge oaf that could hit it far when he occassionally connected. I wouldn't even call him a baseball player. He's gotten where he has on natural ability alone. Now, as he moves into his mid-thirties and is already rich he isn't going to suddenly start busting ass and learning how to play baseball.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
The bold part is pretty much what I said. You should probably read things more closely before painting me as something I'm not and attacking me for it.

No, this is what you wrote:

It's starting to get to that point where you can label him a bust, at least relative to his projections.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Beckham is most likely. I say this because I believe that if he had come up with another team he would be a star now. The Sox don't know how to develop position players well. He might figure it out next year on his own. He's a smart kid and a real competitor.

Rios next because he clearly has the talent. Does he have the head ? I don't know.

Dunn will never play anywhere near the way he did before in the NL. He's not suddenly going to become a student of the game, a workout warrior or an intense competitor. Ain't gonna happen. He's getting old.

He never was a good ballplayer. Never had any ability to help his team win games except the dinger. He never cared too much. He was just a huge oaf that could hit it far when he occassionally connected. I wouldn't even call him a baseball player. He's gotten where he has on natural ability alone. Now, as he moves into his mid-thirties and is already rich he isn't going to suddenly start busting ass and learning how to play baseball.

Great points on Dunn.

He's already ruined one season's lineup pretty much double-handedly with Rios.

He could easily ruin another.

Just retire, Adam. Show some respect for the game.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
No, this is what you wrote:

It's starting to get to that point where you can label him a bust, at least relative to his projections.

Implying that he has not yet reached bust status and that he needs to start showing improvement relatively soon or else he can be labeled as such.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 29, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
I wasn't around the game thread today, but damn Beckham had some great swings today....that's what we need next year.

If Beckham can have a monster year, and Lexi a "career year" to go with another stellar year from Konerko and great year from Dayan, that would help our lineup immensely. Has Flowers shown enough that we should trade AJP? Somebody would take AJ I'd think. He hit well this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Great points on Dunn.

He's already ruined one season's lineup pretty much double-handedly with Rios.

He could easily ruin another.

Just retire, Adam. Show some respect for the game.

Showing respect for the game would be working his ass off during the offseason and tearing it up next year.

I don't think Dunn will be this bad next year, but I don't see him going back to 40/100 any time soon. What worries me most isn't even the K's, it's when he does make contact, he just doesn't seem to have the same bat speed/power. I'm not sure that can suddenly just reappear, even if he starts making better contact.

Dunn-Peavy-Beckham-Rios same as SS.

Dunn becasue he's still relatively young and with a long track record of something to return to. Peavy because he'll be another year away from a serious injury he may have rushed returning from. Beckham's season of goodness may be his high water mark. How many guys have we seen put up one good year? And I'm so down on Rios I can't properly evaluate.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I still refuse to believe Dunn forgot how to hit after 10 years at the age of 31. I think he'll drop 20lbs and put up 40/100 next year

I said the same thing in another topic. Losing weight will help his confidence. He needs to be swinging for the fences every single appearance at the plate, its what he's paid to do.

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Aug 31, 2011 -> 05:22 AM)
I said the same thing in another topic. Losing weight will help his confidence. He needs to be swinging for the fences every single appearance at the plate, its what he's paid to do.

Is he really gonna lose weight? Why would he do that?

Is he like 40 pounds heavier than last year? Hasn't he always been a biggie?