Quentin to the DL, Viciedo up

Quin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:59 PM)
Say hello to the Pierre Rios De Aza outfield. I mean, were in the pennant race!

Viciedo will have to rake whenever he's in the lineup to find consistent playing time, and even then, I expect a few of those "Viciedo has been on fire these last three games, why is he sitting?" posts.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
With Beckham, Ozzie gave us his usual "if we are relying on him we're in trouble" schtick

Only once Beckham came up and struggled. The night he came up he said he needed his bat.

Both times he was Trying to support Beckham. Here he's tearing Viciedo down the second he's called up.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

Guillen will talk to Viciedo about how comfortable he feels playing 1st. He has played 95 games in RF, 10 at 1st and 14 as the DH in 2011.

1 minute ago Favorite Undo Retweet Reply

I see that Ozzie obviously has no intention of benching Rios.

f***ing kidding me. We have a chance to remove Rios and Dunn from the lineup, but don't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
He's poking fun at the people adking for Viciedo all year, and clearly saying Viciedo won't make a difference.

Wow, I can't believe that went over my head so easily, been a long day.

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous thing for a manager to say. Especially about a kid replacing an injured player, and the kid happens to be a key part of the franchise's future (hopefully). And after your veteran team extremely underachieved, which is why you are out of the playoff race.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
Wow, I can't believe that went over my head so easily, been a long day.

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous thing for a manager to say. Especially about a kid replacing an injured player, and the kid happens to be a key part of the franchise's future (hopefully). And after your veteran team extremely underachieved, which is why you are out of the playoff race.

I mean, you don't even have to pretend he'll kill the ball or anything, just say "I hope he can do some good" or something like that. But no, Ozzie has to make his point and he doesn't care who he runs down to do it.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

SEATTLE -- Ozzie Guillen was about to make official the news of Dayan Viciedo's promotion from Triple-A Charlotte to the White Sox during his pregame media session Friday at Safeco Field, but he first paused for dramatic effect.

Then, with a smile plastered on his face, the White Sox manager tossed out the following line:

"Now he's coming in town," said Guillen, raising his arms triumphantly in the air. "We're in the pennant race."

One point to be made clear concerning Viciedo is that while Guillen might take a few sarcastic jabs at the importance of the young offensive force, he has nothing but respect for the 22-year-old, whom Guillen originally dubbed the Cuban Tank. The controversy surrounding Viciedo dates back to early June, when general manager Ken Williams spoke to MLB.com about the interesting look Viciedo would provide to the White Sox lineup and that he was Major League-ready.

Williams and Guillen agreed that Viciedo would not come to the Majors as a part-time player, and while leadoff man Juan Pierre was not at his peak playing performance at that point, Guillen and the White Sox were not giving up on their hard-working leadoff man. Pierre also became the easiest move to make, with his deal up at the end of the 2011 season and the struggling presences of Adam Dunn and Alex Rios under contract for three more years each.

That confidence in Pierre was quickly rewarded, as Pierre entered Friday's series opener with a .284 average and an RBI total of 40 that is equal to Dunn and nine greater than Rios. Viciedo could have come up to the Majors when Mark Teahen and Edwin Jackson were traded to Toronto at the end of July, but he was dealing with a sore right thumb from being hit by a pitch.

There's little doubt regular at-bats will now be available for Viciedo, who hit .297 with 20 homers, 28 doubles and 78 RBIs for the Knights in his first full season as a right fielder. Viciedo could slide into Quentin's spot in right, but with Alejandro De Aza adding a burst of needed life to the offense, Viciedo could take at-bats from Dunn at first base while Paul Konerko continues to recover from a sore left calf/knee at designated hitter.

"If he can play first base, that will help us more," Guillen said. "But we'll see what we need from him and what's the best for him. We just can't put this kid at first base without him playing first for a long time. We're going to talk to him, and he's going to be in the lineup most of the time. And we'll see where he's going to play.

"Hopefully he continues to do what he's doing right now in Triple-A. We know this kid is going to be a big part of this organization for a long time hopefully, and it can be a good start. I think right now we need offense very bad. It's my job to make the best lineup out there we can."

Oz is full of s***.

Edited by OilCan

I think u guys take this all too seriously. I think what Oz said was funny and I hope it was a shot at his current players who have not been in a pennant race all year.

You had to laugh AGAIN tonight in the 8th. Bases loaded nobody out and nothing.

Not one insurance run.

Joke of a team.

Oz will be loving Florida next year. He won't have to watch Rios and Dunn (I realize Dunn mercifully didn't play tonight).

BTW, our record is pretty damn good of late when Dunn sits isn't it?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
I'd fire him for that.

Openly making fun of a player because you think the press has been mean?

Totally unacceptable.

What happened to all that crap about the rules of the locker room and supporting your own players?

Who Ozzie, the guy that ran Jim Thome off last year then just said he'd love to have Thome back when he knew the Sox hadn't claimed him, and said it would be up to KW?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
I think u guys take this all too seriously. I think what Oz said was funny and I hope it was a shot at his current players who have not been in a pennant race all year.

I'd hate for him to leave Chicago. Who's photo would you jerk it to if he weren't around?