Williams On Hot Seat Too?

Marty34

Interesting if only because it's the first I've seen speculated in the local media that Williams might be gone.

Per Cowley:

And as September draws near, there’s growing suspicion the curtain is about to close on either manager Ozzie Guillen or general manager Ken Williams — or maybe both.

Link

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't guillen just worry about baseball and remembering that rios sucks. That is all he needs to do. guillen continues to look like the little pain in the ass cousin that nobody pays attention too so he sets the cat on fire.

Instead of watching Venezuelan news and Mexican soap operas maybe figure out that alex rios can not even comprehend how many outs there are in the top of 9th

Bump KW up replace him with Hahn and let ozzie and his ego go

This is ditka all over again.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:24 AM)
Why can't guillen just worry about baseball and remembering that rios sucks. That is all he needs to do. guillen continues to look like the little pain in the ass cousin that nobody pays attention too so he sets the cat on fire.

Instead of watching Venezuelan news and Mexican soap operas maybe figure out that alex rios can not even comprehend how many outs there are in the top of 9th

Bump KW up replace him with Hahn and let ozzie and his ego go

This is ditka all over again.

I've compared Ozzie to Ditka so many times. It's almost a perfect comparison.

when cowley put this on twitter this morning, i knew who was going to post it on soxtalk immediately.

i dont understand why he continues to completely absolve guillen and hammer kw when they both are to blame.

and how can you sit there with a straight face and say guillen is trying to win games after seeing him bat rios in the cleanup spot for a week. that is ridiculous

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
when cowley put this on twitter this morning, i knew who was going to post it on soxtalk immediately.

i dont understand why he continues to completely absolve guillen and hammer kw when they both are to blame.

and how can you sit there with a straight face and say guillen is trying to win games after seeing him bat rios in the cleanup spot for a week. that is ridiculous

I was surprised it wasn't posted already. As far as batting Rios 4th, you have more outs in that lineup than him and maybe it's best you don't bat them - Rios, Morel, Beckham - back-to-back-to back.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
I was surprised it wasn't posted already. As far as batting Rios 4th, you have more outs in that lineup than him and maybe it's best you don't bat them - Rios, Morel, Beckham - back-to-back-to back.

Is there any boneheaded decision by Ozzie that you wouldn't rationalize?

Getting rid of Kenny seems like the move this off-season, assuming we fall on our faces, and don't make the playoffs. I'm willing to give Ozzie another year. Besides, we have Rick Hahn ready to take over.

For some reason, I still like Ozzie....I think because he puts a face on our franchise...although I realize a lot of people don't like that face?!?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
Getting rid of Kenny seems like the move this off-season, assuming we fall on our faces, and don't make the playoffs. I'm willing to give Ozzie another year. Besides, we have Rick Hahn ready to take over.

For some reason, I still like Ozzie....I think because he puts a face on our franchise...although I realize a lot of people don't like that face?!?

I just don't get it. If you were to list all the pros vs cons for keeping Ozzie I am certain the cons would be a much longer list.

Plain and simple, Rios should not be starting anymore. I can't believe people are saying he's been better of late, as he's 9 for his last 52. Play De Aza in CF and Lillibridge in RF. If you have the guts to bench Dunn, then bench Rios (still can't get over he didn't know the game was done last night).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I just don't get it. If you were to list all the pros vs cons for keeping Ozzie I am certain the cons would be a much longer list.

Probably. I guess I've got that Ditka type love for him...he played hard for us and he won us a world series. Also, I'm not confident in our ability to hire another manager. Kenny's recent mistakes with Peavy, Rios, and Dunn are what is really killing this team.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

you are right, putting the worst hitter in the lineup, and second worst hitter in the league, at the most crucial rbi position in the lineup is much better.

and for the record, morel and beckham would be better options than rios. i somewhat agree with you that spacing the holes out is better than bunching them, but rios at cleanup is a f***ing travesty, as evidenced by his "production" last night

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
you are right, putting the worst hitter in the lineup, and second worst hitter in the league, at the most crucial rbi position in the lineup is much better.

and for the record, morel and beckham would be better options than rios. i somewhat agree with you that spacing the holes out is better than bunching them, but rios at cleanup is a f***ing travesty, as evidenced by his "production" last night

No kidding. If you back up that decision then your opinion doesn't count anymore in my book.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)

These two things are actually somewhat contradictory. If you still like Ozzie at this point, nothing is going to change that. So you'd almost assuredly be willing to give him more than one year. Your subsequent Ditka comment merely cements that.

If anyone needs to go it is KW. Enough of his idle threats about re-tooling the team, we need someone who will actually go out and do it. Perhaps if the team were to shed enough payroll the new GM could persuade JR to invest in signing amateur talent and building this team from the ground up.

Ozzie has been through developing players in Florida, but I am not sure he has the patience to be the manager in charge of developing that talent. I think if the team goes young you look to a guy who has experience managing in the minor leagues.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
i somewhat agree with you that spacing the holes out is better than bunching them, but rios at cleanup is a f***ing travesty, as evidenced by his "production" last night

Rios was 2-5 with a double and RBI batting 4th on Friday . . .

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
These two things are actually somewhat contradictory. If you still like Ozzie at this point, nothing is going to change that. So you'd almost assuredly be willing to give him more than one year. Your subsequent Ditka comment merely cements that.

I feel that if Ozzie is given the right talent, like a lot of managers, he can win. I don't see our failures this year as his fault. He does a ton of questionable things, but I think he knows baseball as much as anyone. I want to see us win more titles with him. If we can't, because of his management of the team, then I want someone else.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)

swap him with one of them. with any lineup Ozzie puts out there, there's 7 better choices to hit cleanup. That being said, Ozzie's probably filling out the card with Pierre in that spot tonight.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I feel that if Ozzie is given the right talent, like a lot of managers, he can win. I don't see our failures this year as his fault. He does a ton of questionable things, but I think he knows baseball as much as anyone. I want to see us win more titles with him. If we can't, because of his management of the team, then I want someone else.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
He's had some ridiculously talented teams while he's been here.

Honestly, tony, if you haven't seen this team fail because of Ozzie over the last half decade, then there is nothing that will change your mind. There is a reason why it seems that about 95-99% of fans want him gone.