... it's about time

bozzie

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
At least we're not firing him for torturing the English language.

I do think it's a bit ridiculous the way certain writers want to focus on his mangled phonetic pronunciation or "Ozzie-isms" to undermine him from an intellectual POV.

He's never apologized for his lack of formal education...or even not learning proper grammar the past 25 years in the US.

No one knows proper grammar. If I had a nickel for every would of, should of and could of I've seen and heard , I could retire .

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Hopefully 20 more years.

The guy speaks the truth and people blast him.

Some of you won't be happy until we get a grumpy ol manager like Ned Yost who won't say anything except "we take them one game at a time."

Then you'll all be happy I guess.

I applaud anything negative Ozzie has to say about these losers.

You think talk means anything to these millionaires? They just go out and play every day. This Sox team doesn't deserve any long Ozzie speech about how we are still in the race, we can beat Detroit, blah blah.

I love his colorful comments. They are way better than the cliches the rest of the managers spout daily.

Detroit is not going to be any more fired up against us because of anything the Sox say. If the Sox hit home runs and pitch well they will win. If they do not hit home runs they will lose. And some of you really are gonna be mad cause look for Flowers to sit soon and look for DeAza to be sitting as well.

Worst.post.ever.

Now you're defending Ozzie just to be...to be what? I don't get the unending Ozzie love.

I don't care if Ozzie speaks the truth. A manager doesn't essentially say to the media that his team has no chance. He could have said something along the lines of, "Hopefully we go into Detroit and win the series" (sorry, I can't screw up the grammar enough).

You applaud anything negative Ozzie has to say about these losers? There are a couple guys on this team that are way-underperforming, and the team as a whole hasn't played well. But the only loser is Ozzie because he talks trash about HIS OWN team...to the media!

I can't do it anymore...why do I even respond to posts like this?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Hopefully 20 more years.

The guy speaks the truth and people blast him.

Some of you won't be happy until we get a grumpy ol manager like Ned Yost who won't say anything except "we take them one game at a time."

Then you'll all be happy I guess.

I applaud anything negative Ozzie has to say about these losers.

You think talk means anything to these millionaires? They just go out and play every day. This Sox team doesn't deserve any long Ozzie speech about how we are still in the race, we can beat Detroit, blah blah.

I love his colorful comments. They are way better than the cliches the rest of the managers spout daily.

Detroit is not going to be any more fired up against us because of anything the Sox say. If the Sox hit home runs and pitch well they will win. If they do not hit home runs they will lose. And some of you really are gonna be mad cause look for Flowers to sit soon and look for DeAza to be sitting as well.

How can you applaud Ozzie for criticizing these "losers" yet you don't mind him batting the biggest loser of all in the cleanup spot during the most important stretch of the season? As usual, Ozzie says some big words but does s*** to back them up. I'm honestly convinced you don't care about winning as long as Ozzie provides you with some amusing "quotes".

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
Did you see the Tribune poll. The MAJORITY of fans either like him or want him to stay another year.

You do realize that's not a scientific poll, right? One person can vote multiple times...at home, on their work computer, on their mobile device.

People have to understand that the typical SoxTalker is not the typical Sox fan. In here, 95% (including me) want Ozzie gone. Out there in Sox Fandom generally, I'd bet it's more like 50/50, and he's more liked the less avid a fan they are. The fans that aren't as into it as this crowd is, they still feel that WS ring from 2005, and they see a team that has been more competitive since then than the Cubs and Sox history before KW, so they are somewhat content.

Not saying it makes sense, it just is.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:09 AM)
Greg's act is annoying, but not worth getting upset about. And I know it's an act because no sensible person could actually believe what he says. Not even worth paying attention to him.

I've been saying this for years. He's basically a troll and people just need to ignore him. I've had him on ignore for a long time, but I'm still inundated with his insane bulls*** because people are constantly responding to him.

Go argue with a brick wall and see if you can tell the difference. You won't.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
Same, I'm ready for the Ozzie era to end, but this is a non-issue to me, people making a big deal about nothing. Whether you want him gone or prefer he stay it's getting annoying everyone makes such big issues over every litthle thing he does that don't matter.

A bunch of small things add up to a big thing. Add those to the many other big things he's done, and it's just another reason to fire him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
People have to understand that the typical SoxTalker is not the typical Sox fan. In here, 95% (including me) want Ozzie gone. Out there in Sox Fandom generally, I'd bet it's more like 50/50, and he's more liked the less avid a fan they are. The fans that aren't as into it as this crowd is, they still feel that WS ring from 2005, and they see a team that has been more competitive since then than the Cubs and Sox history before KW, so they are somewhat content.

Not saying it makes sense, it just is.

And I am just going to say this, but mob mentality drives a lot of that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
i believe a CTL poll this week stated that 33-35 percent of fans wanted ozzie to stay

That doesn't surprise me. Being in NY people don't see a lot of goes on and my friends have been questioning me all year about why I want him gone. They all think he's at least a good manager and some love his style and the way he acts towards the media, players etc...

Uninformed fans have a much different perspective than people who follow closely exactly what goes on. And for any fan base, they are probably the majority.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
Yes, because the Tribune is a completely accurate representation of the Sox fanbase.

Well, a sampling of Trib readers is a lot more broad, and probably a lot more accurate as a representation of the fan base, than the relatively few posters on SoxTalk. I have no problem believing that Sox fans in general are close to 50/50 on Ozzie nowadays.

All these posts about how accurate a poll is or what representation of a fan base is looking at the situation have merit. SoxTalkers most likely make up a small percentage of the Sox fan base, however, I'd be willing to bet we are a better informed percentage than the rest of the fans. If (and when) Ozzie is gone, a big percentage of this board will be very happy while a small percentage (very small) will be upset. But I would hazard to guess that the majority of the casual fan base out there will only be mildly affected one way or the other. Then they'll shrug their shoulders and wait for the new manager.

What makes me shake my head in confusion and dismay is the fact that many of the Ozzie supporters like him because he's fun. A fan who really watches the game and analyzes moves should realize that Ozzie makes a lot of bonehead moves, and one has to think that some of these moves can be attributed to stubbornness vs. lack of baseball knowledge.

I'm not saying Hawk is the guy we should be listening to, but how often do you hear him say how good of a manager Gardenhire is? There are other managers and coaches out there he talks highly of. You don't hear him say too much glowing praise about Ozzie. Hawk may be a homer and annoying, but the guy knows baseball.

That's just one example. My point is, many of the Ozzie lovers seem not to see the poor, sometimes terrible, managerial moves he makes. Every manager makes mistakes or bad calls. To me, it just seems that Ozzie has made an artform of making bad moves.

I think Ozzie is a good (not great) manager. He is the best manager the Sox have had in decades, although that really isn't saying much. All that being said I think he has worn out his welcome and it's time for him to go. He will go on and be successful in Florida or wherever and it will drive me nuts but he has finally convinced me that it's time to go.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
I think Ozzie is a good (not great) manager. He is the best manager the Sox have had in decades, although that really isn't saying much. All that being said I think he has worn out his welcome and it's time for him to go. He will go on and be successful in Florida or wherever and it will drive me nuts but he has finally convinced me that it's time to go.

I think Torborg did a better job with less talent.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
I think Torborg did a better job with less talent.

Possibly. I really did like him. He was a better in game manager for sure. He had robin and Frank and a decent pitching staff. No one thought much of what Ozzie had in 2005 prior to the year. I still go by wins and nobody has won like Ozzie.

Edited by ptatc

I've always held my fire when it comes to Ozzie's managing decisions in-game, but even I cannot fathom what in the hell he was thinking by batting Dunn for Lilly in what was a crucial game--a game we could have won.

Lilly is the anti-Dunn--you know you absolutely have a chance with that guy at bat or in the field, whereas with Dunn you're pretty much guaranteed a strikeout. Oh, and then there's the Rios thing.

It's almost like he was trying to tank the game. And when it gets to that kind of bizarreness--yes, I'd say it's time for him to go.

And please take KW out the door, too.

Look: thank you forever for 2005. It's the best gift any Sox fan could ever dream of. But that's long past, and I'm tired of six years of so-so teams. Not horrible enough to be entertaining bad, but yet not good enough to ever go deep into the post-season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
I've been saying this for years. He's basically a troll and people just need to ignore him. I've had him on ignore for a long time, but I'm still inundated with his insane bulls*** because people are constantly responding to him.

Go argue with a brick wall and see if you can tell the difference. You won't.

The world is not cut and dried.

You guys think Ozzie is the devil; I don't. A troll doesn't have reasons for his beliefs. If you guys are ready for the LaRussa Era Part Two, fine. I hope he has the magic touch and we win it all.

I'd like to see KW go and Ozzie stay, but when both get fired, they have nobody to blame but themselves. They despise each other and that doesn't work. They hid it from Jerry long enough to be set for life financially though.

Edited by greg775