Dunn and Rios

fathom

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
Christ man, you really are delusional. This will be my last response.

KW isn't the manager, Ozzie is. Ozzie makes the lineup. Ozzie has had a fully capable replacement for Rios in De Aza since 7/27, yet Rios has played in 27 games since then. Unacceptable, plain and simple. Rios should have been the 5th OF as of 7/27. That is totally and completely on Ozzie and NOBODY else.

As for Dunn, he also has had a perfectly capable replacement sitting on the bench in Lilibridge. 8/1 should have been the last Dunn ever saw the field. But good ol' Ozzie kept him in there, seemingly to spite KW.

In his final stroke of genius, ol' spark-plug Ozzie used Vicedo as some sort of 4th grade girl way of getting back at KW. KW knew Ozzie wouldn't play him, so he remained in AAA while Dunn and Rios lined the boxscores with K's and weak grounders to SS.

By defending him, you're agreeing that it's more important for our manager to have a cat fight with our GM than to put the best team on the field. I know you won't understand that, but that's what you're doing.

I'm loving this new Jenksy :notworthy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
A twisted ankle he got while running the bases. That isn't really an injury "worry" in my eyes.

This is one where fathom is kinda right.

He always had an iffy motion, where you wouldn't be surprised if something popped eventually. There's a reason the Padres took out insurance on him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Remember when certain members of the media would say that "one person doesn't make that big of a difference in a lineup". Well, I went back and looked at the 31 games this season we've lost by one or two runs, and I calculated the stats for Rios and Dunn.

Rios is 25 for 123 in those games (.204 bavg) with one HR and 4 RBI in those games

Dunn is 12 for 94 in thos games (.128 bavg) with 3 HR and 8 RBI in those games

You're looking at a team that is on par with the Tigers, if not at the head of the class, if those two could have given us a lot more production in close games.

Wow.

That is appalling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
This is one where fathom is kinda right.

He always had an iffy motion, where you wouldn't be surprised if something popped eventually. There's a reason the Padres took out insurance on him.

Insurance is taken out on pretty much any large contract.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:54 AM)
Do you realize what you are saying? To bench Rios and Dunn with the money they are making? You don't magically pretend Adam Dunn does not exist.

You can keep playing them as long as they have a reasonable shot at turning things around and being productive MLB players, but you don't keep playing them just because of their contracts. I'm all for giving Dunn a chance to start fresh next year, but the decision to bench him this year came a good month too late.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
That's how I see it. These guys had track records. You could argue that they were taking a chance on Rios returning to his career norms, but with Peavy and Dunn, there had been no real down time in their performances before they got here. It wasn't like Kenny was buying low on them. They got here and they flopped to this point. Heck you can throw Nick Swisher into this category as well.

The only difference between these results and for most other teams, is the Sox are playing at a higher income level. On middle of the pack payroll teams there are guys making half or a third of these guys sucking as well. If they happen to be 1/3 of the starters, you finish 25 games back instead of 15 games back.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
I just read here that Dunn has 6 (count 'em, 6) RBI's since the All Star Break. I about puked and busted out laughing at the same time. Is this really true?!!?!?! :lolhitting

Now that we're out of it, u think he'll start playing regularly again?

He might as well try to find his swing for next year.

Would be very nice, however, to get Dayan, DeAza and Flowers a ton of at bats somehow.

If I'm running this team, I make Dunn play pretty much every day for the rest of the year. I want to see him qualify for the worst batting average of all time, and if he doesn't want that blemish on his resume, he better figure it the f*** out before the season is over. You let Konerko pile up the stats and keep playing as much as he wants, but the rest of the positions you put the kids in and see what you've got.

There shouldn't be a single person left here from the coaching staff next season, and KW should be gone too. To choke and underperform this badly is inexplicable. The regression of our young hitters, is inexplicable.