Speigel vs Cowley on WSCR

Swingandalongonetoleft

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
What was said about T. Braxton? Probably just another past-their-prime former superstar that KW pursued

It was in his whole Holly.wood thing. Supposedly he was hanging around Toni Braxton, or worse if Joe is trying to imply something, and that is part of the evidence that Kenny has forgotten where he came from, whatever that means.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
That also doesn't make any sense. Don't they need Ozzie more as a source since they talk to him every day? Why would they write negatives about Oz then?

Manager has daily press conferences. GM can more or less pick and choose who he talks too.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Manager has daily press conferences. GM can more or less pick and choose who he talks too.

Exactly. So being negative about the manager who you need to survive daily should be worse than the guy you need to talk to say once a month. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Then I guess Cowley is lashing out and attacking the GM because he blew his access and is a petulant child.

Maybe. Seems as though Cowley has another source in the front office because in the interview he said he goes to Guillen and says "here is what I'm hearing . . ."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Maybe. Seems as though Cowley has another source in the front office because in the interview he said he goes to Guillen and says "here is what I'm hearing . . ."

He actually was talking about players as being his primary stuff. I am going with it being obvious AJ.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
He actually was talking about players as being his primary stuff. I am going with it being obvious AJ.

Players too. I thought it was AJ ehen he said a prominent player pulled him aside in the clubhouse and said he was happy he ripped the GM. AJ was in Charlotte though Wednesday, right? Next guess then would be Buehrle.

Cowley's true colors really shine through in these type of interviews. He is just a petulant child running around causing trouble screaming until someone listens. He clearly can't get enough attention, and it sure looks like he is just angling for a spot on one of the ESPN shout shows. What a low life threatening to blow up Kenny's personal life. It's not a beat writers job to learn all of the things in a locker room about the players and front office personal life and hang it over them. I'm sure he is correct in saying other writers know about it, but don't report it, because that stuff is off the record and off limits, for the most part, and others have some integrity regarding their professions. I'm sorry but I refuse to call him a journalist.

Speigel doesn't come off great, but I thought he showed some restraint, and he is right about Joe inserting himself into the story, and relying on Ozzie and his inner circle. Really, that is nothing new for the Sun Times and why I stopped reading it years ago. Objectivity is no longer a goal, but an obstacle at that paper. I hope when Ozzie talks himself out of town Joe follows, but the Sun Times will just replace him with another clown. The self congratulations by that guy may be the worst part. I feel dirty after listening to that interview.

QUOTE (shakes @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Cowley's true colors really shine through in these type of interviews. He is just a petulant child running around causing trouble screaming until someone listens. He clearly can't get enough attention, and it sure looks like he is just angling for a spot on one of the ESPN shout shows. What a low life threatening to blow up Kenny's personal life. It's not a beat writers job to learn all of the things in a locker room about the players and front office personal life and hang it over them. I'm sure he is correct in saying other writers know about it, but don't report it, because that stuff is off the record and off limits, for the most part, and others have some integrity regarding their professions. I'm sorry but I refuse to call him a journalist.

Speigel doesn't come off great, but I thought he showed some restraint, and he is right about Joe inserting himself into the story, and relying on Ozzie and his inner circle. Really, that is nothing new for the Sun Times and why I stopped reading it years ago. Objectivity is no longer a goal, but an obstacle at that paper. I hope when Ozzie talks himself out of town Joe follows, but the Sun Times will just replace him with another clown. The self congratulations by that guy may be the worst part. I feel dirty after listening to that interview.

So you'd prefer he did not report on the fact that these guys don't like each other and there is a power struggle going on? I want to know as much information as possible.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
So you'd prefer he did not report on the fact that these guys don't like each other and there is a power struggle going on? I want to know as much information as possible.

I'd prefer a "reporter" not be a mouth-piece for one particular side of the story and not continually insult the other side.