Managerial Prospects for Next Year...

Wanne

I apologize to the admins if they deem this should have been placed in another thread...but they were getting jumbled on the topic. Just wondering who may be in line if Ozzie is jettisoned. I'm not on the LaRussa bandwagon and have no idea what direction the old man would take. But just a few obvious ones that may have or have not mentioned.

Dave Martinez- Solid hire IMO. Learned under Madden. Fresh blood.

Bob Brenly- Very knowledgable baseball man. My concern might be how he deals with young guys (or doesn't...not sure of his track record with this).

Bobby Valentine- Too "retready" for my tastes.

Alan Trammel- Very underestimated/appreciated baseball mind IMO. Wouldn't mind this hire at all with a solid support staff.

Don Baylor- Not sure where I stand on this one. Like him more as a coach than manager.

Buddy Bell- For the love of GOD please go outside the org. and leave him where he is!

Anybody got other names that might fit?...

I'd still give my left nut for Carlton Fisk to manage this team. I know he's been out of the game forever and has zero coaching experience...but the guy's crapped out more baseball knowledge than most people have ever even ingested. Just a pipe dream of mine...I know.

And let me just add that...I am in NO WAY suggesting Fisk. Just stated it was always pipe dream of mine. I understand it would never happen. Just wanted to state THE OBVIOUS!!! geez-us.

Edited by Wanne

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Not that it would ever happen, but Fisk has no business managing.

He would be awful. Most of managing is dealing with players on a personal level and dealing with the media. He would suck at both.

I was really anti-La Russa, and still am sorta. But if I knew it was going to be a year or two just to get the Kenny/Ozzie taste out of our collective mouths, I'd take it.

Dave Martinez intrigues me. He's been there with Maddon for a while, and I think that can only help him.

Bob Brenly and Sandy Alomar are high on my list as well.

I'd also like to hear what some of the Knight Sox have to say about Joe McEwing.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I was really anti-La Russa, and still am sorta. But if I knew it was going to be a year or two just to get the Kenny/Ozzie taste out of our collective mouths, I'd take it.

This is my feeling with McEwing serving as LaRussa's bench coach and taking over in 2014, 2015 at the latest.

Edited by Marty34

I've been in the Dave Martinez boat since about May.

He fits the mould in a few different ways:

1. Ex-White Sox player so "keeping it in the family (sorta)"

2. He fits the bill as a minority hire, which you know Jerry loves.

Not to mention he's studied under one of the best managers in all of baseball for the last four seasons, a guy who's not afraid to play young players unlike our current manager. The only downside is he wouldn't be able to have that beard if he managed with JR's rules and all.... But that's it.

Ozzie Guillen. I say this not to be flippant or dismiss the post because a change might certainly happen, but my bet is since Ozzie has a contract for 2012 and Jerry ius a loyal owner, who likes both KW and Ozzie. 2012 might be the make or break year.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Why no LaRussa banter when he's the most likely replacement?

Cause he's stale...and boring...and too obvious.

Can't understand why JR can't understand the need to infuse fresh blood...enthusiasm. Tony LaRussa is as enthusiastic as a cold sore!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
Ozzie Guillen. I say this not to be flippant or dismiss the post because a change might certainly happen, but my bet is since Ozzie has a contract for 2012 and Jerry ius a loyal owner, who likes both KW and Ozzie. 2012 might be the make or break year.

that seems like it would be a very impulsive decision by JR

Baseball Prospectus wrote an article last year about the top 10 managerial prospects.

Here's the link: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=11334

Dave Brundage

Current Position: Manager of the Braves' Triple-A Gwinnett farm club.

Background: Brundage spent seven seasons as a minor-league outfielder then 14 years working in the Mariners' farm system from 1993-2006, four as a hitting coach and 10 as a manager. He has been a manager in the Braves' farm system the last four seasons.

Why He is Qualified: This is all you need to know about Brundage: Those close to the Braves believe if they stay inside the organization to replace the retiring Bobby Cox at the end of the season that Brundage will likely be general manager Frank Wren's choice. Though Brundage has never played or coached in the major leagues, his knowledge of the game and ability to communicate and motivate would allow him to overcome any experience disadvantage.

John Farrell

Current Position: Red Sox pitching coach.

Background: Farrell pitched in the major leagues for eight seasons from 1987-96 with the Indians, Angels, and Tigers. He spent five seasons as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Oklahoma State, his alma mater, from 1997-2001. Farrell returned to professional baseball in 2002 as the Indians' player development director before joining the Red Sox as their pitching coach in 2007.

Why He is Qualified: Farrell has a wealth of experience, both on the field and in the front office, and is considered one of the game's progressive thinkers. He is also able to adeptly handle all the media attention that comes from being the Red Sox' pitching coach, something that would serve him well as a manager.

Torey Lovullo

Current Position: Manager of the Red Sox' Triple-A Pawtucket farm club.

Background: Lovullo spent eight seasons as an infielder in the major leagues from 1988-99 with the Tigers, Yankees, Angels, Mariners, Athletics, and Phillies, and also played in Japan. He joined the Indians as a roving minor-league coordinator in 2001 and was a manager in their farm system for eight seasons from 2002-09, including four at the Triple-A level. Lovullo moved to the Red Sox' organization last winter.

Why He is Qualified: Lovullo has been considered ready to manage in the major leagues for the last few years and the biggest factor that caused him to lose out to Manny Acta for the Indians' opening last November was the perception that the organization was not willing to look outside for a different perspective. Lovullo is known as a great communicator who likes to play an aggressive style of baseball that puts the pressure on the opposition with steals and hit-and-runs.

Pete Mackanin

Current Position: Phillies bench coach

Background: Mackanin was an infielder in the major leagues for nine seasons from 1973-81 with the Rangers, Expos, Phillies, and Twins. He managed in the minor leagues for 13 seasons, winning 917 games for the Cubs, Reds, Expos, and Pirates. Mackanin was also the Expos' third base coach for four seasons from 1997-2000 and the Pirates' bench coach for three years from 2005-07. He served two stints as an interim manager in the major leagues, with the Pirates in 2005 and the Reds in 2007. Mackanin has also scouted for the Reds and Yankees.

Why He is Qualified: Mackanin is the oldest person on this list, which unfortunately is likely to work against him, but he is an outstanding baseball man who did a fine job in his two interim stints as manager in what were obviously very difficult situations. He relates well to people, commands the respect of players without being overbearing, has a tremendous wit, and handles the media extremely well. He truly deserves a chance to be a big-league skipper on a permanent basis.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

I wouldn't rule it out.

Wasn't Trey Hillman a hot, can't miss prospect before KC hired him?

Not trying to flame, but even if KC hadn't hired him, wasn't he the next great thing? Those 4 names of guys I've never heard of are dangerous like Trey-dangerous..

When Oz is shown the door ... I want either an old, "name" manager or I want Sandberg.

Why hire some unknown for a high (or at least competitive) payroll organization like the White Sox??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 4, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
I'm down with LaRussa/McEwing.

Or Dave Martinez.

Or hire somebody from Scioscia's staff.

Madden, Roenicke and Black have all done fairly well.

Is there any reason to believe Tony wants to make Chicago his final stop? For the life of me I can't see why he'd want to manage an inferior team (St. Louis organization is way better than ours) just because he likes Jerry. He may like Jerry, but why the f*** would that matter? There's no reason to believe St. Louis wants to run him out of town so why would he want to flee to the South Side?

Edited by greg775