Central Texas Wildfires this weekend

OilCan

statesman Austin Statesman

Latest updates: 476 homes destroyed in Bastrop, fire on Texas 71; Steiner Ranch still closed. bit.ly/pCVftB #centraltxfires

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

txstormchasers Texas Storm Chasers

EVACUATION ORDER: Southwest Gregg County in East Texas. Shelter at Maud Cobb Convention Center in Longview. #centraltxfires #txfire

19 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

statesman Austin Statesman

Officials also asking to keep 620 clear. Fire 25 percent contained. Steiner Ranch residents not being allowed back in yet. #centraltxfires

22 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

txstormchasers Texas Storm Chasers

FORT HOOD FIRE: The Fort Hood Fire become a problem again with smoke visible on satellite. Anyone got info? #centraltxfires #txfire

25 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

robquig Robert Quigley

In Austin, you can look east and west and see huge plumes of smoke on the horizon. Follow @statesman for updates. #centraltxfires

27 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

SheltonG_KVUE Shelton Green

New #centraltxfires info, #Bastrop estimates, 25,000 acres, 400+homes destroyed, new fire at Union Chapel twitpic.com/6gmgv8

50 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Bastrop is about 20-30 miles east/northeast of Austin. Think from Bolingbrook to the Cell.

There was also a fire in Pflugerville, just north of Austin.

Steiner Ranch is a subdivision west of Austin.

Bastrop, including it's gorgeous state park, is on fire to the east, as previously mentioned. Half of the State Park is already gone.

Today there was a wildfire north of San Antonio in the Stone Oak area. Some apts are being evac.

Twitter: follow #centraltxfires , #txfires,

Facebook: follow Texas Storm Chasers

Newspaper: www.statesman.com (Austin American Statesman)

During the summer, we had about two days of rain. That's it.

80 + straight 100 degree days...in August it was not uncommon to see 105 degrees on my thermometer here in San Marcos.

Latest and the not-so-greatest:

Bastrop alone - 34K acres gone, 550 homes gone, Bastrop State Park is 2/3 gone.

Here is the first definitive graphic that will show you just how bad it is. Note the closeness from Austin to Bastrop.

WEB0907bastropfires3.jpg

The massive wildfire in Bastrop County has burned around 34,000 acres, destroyed an estimated 550 homes and forced 20 neighborhoods to evacuate, officials said.

A second fire called the “Union Chapel Fire” has burned approximately 800 acres and destroyed 27 homes, officials said.

Crews have made some progress in containing both fires, and firefighters have saved “a number of structures,” said Mike Fisher, the county’s emergency management coordinator.

The Union Chapel fire is 15 percent contained “at best,” Fisher said.

The larger fire has also been somewhat contained, Fisher said, but he couldn’t say how much.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha..._respondin.html

This link will take you to a Google Map to show you where the fires are occuring in Texas.

Texsox, no I'm not, however I live about five/six blocks away from the University's Stadium(s) and such.

I'm off of Hwy 80/Cheatham St, which Cheatham goes to the San Marcos River. The University is just blocks away from where I live in SM.

Edited by OilCan

Cool, I probably saw him/them floating down the river this summer.

Update on the big fire in Bastrop:

TylerS_KVUE Tyler Sieswerda

Not great news from Bastrop fire update. Very active fire this afternoon. Approx 1500 structures burned. 30% contained.

5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply