Brent Morel

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I doubt we'll choose to add payroll at 3B next year with Morel's 2nd half improvement. He has what I would call a "reasonable shot" at becoming a solid everyday player and we should be able to give him the job next year.

He has shown more patience of late. I still hope he can be a 2 hitter eventually, though he has to continue to show OBP improvement.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 12, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
I doubt we'll choose to add payroll at 3B next year with Morel's 2nd half improvement. He has what I would call a "reasonable shot" at becoming a solid everyday player and we should be able to give him the job next year.

He has shown more patience of late. I still hope he can be a 2 hitter eventually, though he has to continue to show OBP improvement.

Another 2 HR day . That's 2 in the last week. Both to CF so he's showing very good pop now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

Oz, when asked about Morel walking more: "I'd be the last one to talk about walks. I was swinging at everything from Day 1 to the last day."

Nice job Oz, ream him early in the year for not walking and when he finally starts to show some progress on multiple fronts, blow it off and talk about yourself. There's your reward Brent, now keep at it.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm more encouraged by the increase in walks recently than anything else I've seen. Walks are so crucial to managing slumps. If we have a hitter on our hands he can eventually draw 70 walks a season, it softens the blow of a .150 month significantly.

No, he won't draw 70 walks in a season. He's up there to hit the ball.

The thing with a guy like Morel who is clearly aggressive at the plate is that he needs to be able to take the walk when the pitcher won't pitch to him. That way, he's not getting himself out.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Add 2 more walks from last nights game for Morel.

September numbers in 49 PA: .316/.447/.763/1.210 (5 HRs, 10 RBIs, 9 BBs.. all the highest of any month already)

this kid has proven he just needs time to adjust. I expect him to be much better next season.