9/22/11 - Sox @ Cle - 6:05p on CSN

knightni

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
Cooper made Lance Broadway a stud. Aaron Poreda is a HOFer. Please. Humber and Floyd were top 4 picks I believe and Floyd doesn't even have a league average ERA.

Top 4 picks that no one else could fix. So where are Greg Walker's success stories? Joe Borcahrd? Josh Fields? The closest thing he has is Paul Konerko, who already had put up a .300 ba, a 30 HR season, and a 100 RBI season before Walker ever took over. Who does Walker get credit for to make this analogy work?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
I think I've agreed with SS2K5 and Balta more in the last month (mainly since Victory registered) than I have in the last two years combined. I don't like this at all. I would join filibuster (that would make things normal again). But that could get ugly - aka the Gordon Beckham gay thread.

I've rarely had the motivation to even browse Soxtalk these last few months, but I've taken notice of Balta's shift in demeanor. He's much more critical of this team. Not that any of it isn't justified, but coming from him I'm not used to it. For anyone not around that often it's even more noticeable.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
I've rarely had the motivation to even browse Soxtalk these last few months, but I've taken notice of Balta's shift in demeanor. He's much more critical of this team. Not that any of it isn't justified, but coming from him I'm not used to it. For anyone not around that often it's even more noticeable.

2k5 has been even more noticeable. I went 'dark' after last year's disappointment. Looks like their boiling point was this year's fiasco.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
I think I've agreed with SS2K5 and Balta more in the last month (mainly since Victory registered) than I have in the last two years combined. I don't like this at all. I would join filibuster (that would make things normal again). But that could get ugly - aka the Gordon Beckham gay thread.

Oh god no....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Top 4 picks that no one else could fix. So where are Greg Walker's success stories? Joe Borcahrd? Josh Fields? The closest thing he has is Paul Konerko, who already had put up a .300 ba, a 30 HR season, and a 100 RBI season before Walker ever took over. Who does Walker get credit for to make this analogy work?

No one was able to fix those guys. If they had success elsewhere, I could see where you could say Walker was lacking. But that's not the case. Its like teaching an English class and having Ozzie Guillen for a student. If you go by the finish product, its not necessarily a reflection on the teacher. But you're right, if Humber pitches well, Cooper taught him everything he knows. If he gives up 4 to a AAA Cleveland team, its because he's just not good. But if the Sox get shut down by Bruce Chen, the guy having a better year than Floyd and Danks, its because Greg Walker has no plan.

Bingo. At this point of the season you are trying to get the guys ready for next year. guys who have had bad years you want out there to try to get turned around. It isn't August June when the season actually mattered anymore, which takes away from the attempt at being a smart ass.

This season was lost before August... After the July 31st trade deadline, the White Sox got weaker, the Tigers got stronger..

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)

I think I was very clear on my line. I think it's only fair to evaluate a manager or front office in aggregate. 88 wins last year and a 2008 division championship...that's kinda close, I can consider that. 3 straight years of missing the playoffs, then I can't defend things that I might otherwise tolerate if they were winning.

This was the line, I think I said that last January. They failed to meet the required standard. There's no other defense.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
This season was lost before August... After the July 31st trade deadline, the White Sox got weaker, the Tigers got stronger..

The team was something like three games out then. They lost pretty much every single game they play against Detroit. The season was lost then.

The team was something like three games out then. They lost pretty much every single game they play against Detroit. The season was lost then.

I beg to differ.. The Sox needed to make an impact at the trade deadline if they were seriously going to make a run.. They didn't and the rest is history. The team was inconsistent all year, Not since Juneish did I think this team had a chance to make it... Unless they made a move, or somehow Dunn recalled how to be Dunn.

At the deadline we move at the time our 3rd best starting pitcher and KW screw up.. for a bag of peanuts, and old sock. DET went and fixed their problem at 3rd, and got a SP and some RP..

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 08:48 PM)
I beg to differ.. The Sox needed to make an impact at the trade deadline if they were seriously going to make a run.. They didn't and the rest is history. The team was inconsistent all year, Not since Juneish did I think this team had a chance to make it... Unless they made a move, or somehow Dunn recalled how to be Dunn.

At the deadline we move at the time our 3rd best starting pitcher and KW screw up.. for a bag of peanuts, and old sock. DET went and fixed their problem at 3rd, and got a SP and some RP..

What need did the white sox have that was fixable? The only legit needs were cf and dh. They could have gone for Beltran or some dh option, but Ozzie would have had to bench his guy. 3b? MOrel has actually outperformed Betemit. And Beltran would have not only cost Viciedo...he wouldn't have outproduced De Aza.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)

The organization didn't have much bargaining chips. Under Kenny most of the mid season trades never had an immediate benefit for the Sox. They got the most from the Garcia trade the following season.