White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
It would be nice if someone could consolidate the pros and cons for each potential manager in a relatively unbiased post. I don't know enough about any of these men to make any kind of an assessment.

How about this:

LaRussa

Pros

Experienced manager (I count 34 seasons)

Won two world series titles with two different teams

Won three NL pennants

Won two AL pennants

Cons

Everybody thinks he's a giant asshole

He wears his sunglasses at night

Francona

Pros

Experienced manager (I count 12 seasons)

Won two world series titles

Made the playoffs five times in eight seasons with the Red Sox

Cons

Never made the playoffs as the Phillies manager

Epic 2011 collapse

Martinez

Pros

Bench coach under Joe Maddon

Tampa reached unparalleled heights with him as an assistant

Banged Sandberg's wife

Cons

No manager experience

Alomar

Pros

Reportedly a SABR guy

Long time "good guy"

Experience as first base coach

Former catcher

Cons

No manager experience

Well done Wedge.

Although I wouldn't pin the 2011 on him from what we're reading. Sounds like that team had more than a few cancers and crybabies.

I think the strike about the collapse is that it took so much out of him he may well need a break for a couple of years.

The Francona and guillen situations kind of mirror each other.

The pressure in Boston has to be immense.

Francona's personality I think would be a breath of fresh air in the White Sox clubhouse. Although anybody would seem like a breath of fresh air at this point.

OBP

Walker .326 as low as .309 in his only full season

Baines .356 as high as .409

Baines has a Charly Lau approach which I love in a hitter and here is that approach which I think the Sox need

A balanced, workable stance;

Rhythm and movement in the stance (as opposed to standing still);

A good weight shift from a firm rigid backside to a firm rigid frontside;

Striding with the front toe closed;

Having the bat in the launching position as soon as the front foot touches down;

Making the stride a positive, aggressive motion toward the pitcher;

A tension-free swing;

Hitting through the ball;

Hit the ball where it is pitched, rather than try to direct it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
The Francona and guillen situations kind of mirror each other.

The pressure in Boston has to be immense.

Francona's personality I think would be a breath of fresh air in the White Sox clubhouse. Although anybody would seem like a breath of fresh air at this point.

OBP

Walker .326 as low as .309 in his only full season

Baines .356 as high as .409

Baines has a Charly Lau approach which I love in a hitter and here is that approach which I think the Sox need

A balanced, workable stance;

Rhythm and movement in the stance (as opposed to standing still);

A good weight shift from a firm rigid backside to a firm rigid frontside;

Striding with the front toe closed;

Having the bat in the launching position as soon as the front foot touches down;

Making the stride a positive, aggressive motion toward the pitcher;

A tension-free swing;

Hitting through the ball;

Hit the ball where it is pitched, rather than try to direct it.

If Baines could teach a Lau-like approach, I'm all game for that.

Boston's just a lose/lose proposition, pressure-wise. Not unlike the Cubs. When you're up, the fans love you but when you're down, they are absolute savages.

I agree his personality could be just what the doctor ordered.

Confession: for the past couple of years I would look at people like Gardy in Minnesota or Leland in Detroit and think: I wonder what it's like to have a stoic, low-key manager who's not a loose cannon? Because those teams don't seem to have the drama (and they kick our asses all over the place).

Anyone ever feel that way before, too?

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Boston's just a lose/lose proposition, pressure-wise. Not unlike the Cubs. When you're up, the fans love you but when you're down, they are absolute savages.

I agree his personality would be just what the doctor ordered.

Confession: for the past couple of years I would look at people like Gardy in Minnesota or Leland in Detroit and think: I wonder what it's like to have a stoic, low-key manager who's not a loose cannon? Because those teams don't seem to have the drama (and they kick our asses all over the place).

Jerry Manuel said hi.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
@DKnobler DKnobler

It's not impossible that Francona lands with White Sox, but I hear they don't want to pay big $$$ for mgr, unless it's Tony

That's probably for the best. I would rank those four:

1) LaRussa

2) Martinez

3) Francona

4) Alomar

I know everybody hates LaRussa but it's really, really hard to argue with his track record. We'd all think he's a giant ass, but he'd win and we'd be OK with it.

With Francona, it's easy to say he's got a great track record with the World Series rings. I do think he did a good job managing the Red Sox, but I'm not sure if he's the right fit for the White Sox. We're nowhere near as talented as those teams were. I think the team would appreciate his professionalism, but I'm not sure how well he'd wind up doing here. I think you're better served taking a flier on a manager than you are hiring Francona.

Martinez is sort of the sexy candidate, and probably rightly so. He's Maddon's right hand man and seems well prepared for his own gig. Obviously, he's an unknown at this point, but at least he's a really good guess.

Alomar is the furthest down. It doesn't mean it couldn't turn out to be a great manager, but he's just the biggest unknown on the list.

I'm going to laugh when the players who got sick of Ozzie's antics suddenly get the spotlight on them for playing like s***. Say what you will about Ozzie (I was fine with his departure), but he was great at deflating the pressure on some of those guys by at least not having to worry about the media.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

1) LaRussa

2) Martinez

3) Francona

4) Alomar

I know everybody hates LaRussa but it's really, really hard to argue with his track record. We'd all think he's a giant ass, but he'd win and we'd be OK with it.

With Francona, it's easy to say he's got a great track record with the World Series rings. I do think he did a good job managing the Red Sox, but I'm not sure if he's the right fit for the White Sox. We're nowhere near as talented as those teams were. I think the team would appreciate his professionalism, but I'm not sure how well he'd wind up doing here. I think you're better served taking a flier on a manager than you are hiring Francona.

Martinez is sort of the sexy candidate, and probably rightly so. He's Maddon's right hand man and seems well prepared for his own gig. Obviously, he's an unknown at this point, but at least he's a really good guess.

Alomar is the furthest down. It doesn't mean it couldn't turn out to be a great manager, but he's just the biggest unknown on the list.

I agree with your list. Kinda depends on where the White Sox want to go - continue on the "we're one piece away" train (La Russa), or decide to actually fix the farm system and build back up for another run in a couple of years (Martinez, who could grow into the job)

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Jerry Manuel said hi.

Okay I said low-key, not flatlining. :lolhitting

I'm going to laugh when the players who got sick of Ozzie's antics suddenly get the spotlight on them for playing like s***. Say what you will about Ozzie (I was fine with his departure), but he was great at deflating the pressure on some of those guys by at least not having to worry about the media.

Good point.

Although is anybody else noticing how KW is escaping all blame for this in the media?

I mean, in Beantown right now it's pretty much a given that Tito AND Epstein are on the way out.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

Well all except for the guys he didn't like. They got thrown right under the bus.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

1) LaRussa

2) Martinez

3) Francona

4) Alomar

I agree with this. LaRussa for a couple years and then transitioning to a McEwing would be my choice. Probably going to come down to LaRussa or Alomar.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
If Baines could teach a Lau-like approach, I'm all game for that.

I heard rumors that he is in play for that job. It would make sense with Martinez's experience teaching hitters anyway and Coop already in place. It makes alot of sense. Also as a first time manager he fits directly into our pay expectations.

Funny thing he is loose cannon in the clubhouse but no fire between the white lines or from his players.

He seemed as stoic as Manuel in the dugout except when he was having conversations with the fans or joking with the other team.