White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
Id say that it wouldn't be a bad job for a couple of reasons,

1. It's a team with great history and is in a big market

2. The team isn't afraid to spend some money to try to compete (Im not saying that you have to spend money to compete but its nice that the owner is willing to open up the pocket book as opposed to the A's, Marlins, et al..)

3. If you become one of Jerry's "guys" he is loyal to the ends of the earth, it is really nice to know that the boss has your back at all times. For those of you who have worked for a s***ty boss who'll throw you under the bus at any moment you can understand why this is a really nice thing.

I'm not saying that the Sox are a great landing spot or anything but just playing devil's advocate, those are the reasons that I personally would want to coach the chi sox

Agreed with your last point, but I don't foresee the Sox spending more money any time soon. It's much more likely that they'll be dumping salary over the next 9 months.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
Agreed with your last point, but I don't foresee the Sox spending more money any time soon. It's much more likely that they'll be dumping salary over the next 9 months.

At least IMO, it's entirely possible for this team to dump a lot of salary and still remain competitive.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Kinda hard for Pena to be a surprise candidate when Rosenthal already reported the Sox's interest in him and Fisk would be a disaster; the last thing this team needs is a grump old man with ZERO experience running the show.

I would be so disappointed with Tony Peña.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Ok, so then they clearly linked to the wrong person.....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=martin010dav

But that still doesn't tell me why he is so qualified to be our manager. Do people just hope because he is Maddon's bench coach that he will have learned how to manage??

Do you pay attention to baseball? Bench coaches are made managers regularly. What would make anyone qualified to be a manager? Having already been a manager? Why did the Rays even hire Maddon? He learned from Scioscia. That's why. And Martinez has learned from him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
At least IMO, it's entirely possible for this team to dump a lot of salary and still remain competitive.

I agree with this. If they hire anyone other than LaRussa though, I'd like to see them just go full speed rebuild. In other words, don't plan to contend for a couple of years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I agree with this. If they hire anyone other than LaRussa though, I'd like to see them just go full speed rebuild. In other words, don't plan to contend for a couple of years.

I disagree with this too...there's no a priori reason why Alomar or Martinez couldn't take this team next year and put them in the playoffs...if they can get the big salary 3 + Beckham to play like they're supposed to.

With those guys on the books, it's actually really hard to "Go full speed and rebuild", because most of the big salary is unmoveable.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
I would be so disappointed with Tony Peña.

Do you pay attention to baseball? Bench coaches are made managers regularly. What would make anyone qualified to be a manager? Having already been a manager? Why did the Rays even hire Maddon? He learned from Scioscia. That's why. And Martinez has learned from him.

You are confusing me not knowing who the hell Dave Martinez is with me thinking that hiring a bench coach is a bad idea. I was just curious as to who he is, not questioning him being a future manager.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
I disagree with this too...there's no a priori reason why Alomar or Martinez couldn't take this team next year and put them in the playoffs...if they can get the big salary 3 + Beckham to play like they're supposed to.

To contend they'd need a payroll of about $105M next year and everything to go right. Couple that with roughly estimated attendance of 1.8M if they don't contend and probably 2M if they do and that's a big risk. If they hire LaRussa it's a signal that Chairman Reinsdorf would be comfortable with that risk.

With those guys on the books, it's actually really hard to "Go full speed and rebuild", because most of the big salary is unmoveable.

Rebuild around them.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
You are confusing me not knowing who the hell Dave Martinez is with me thinking that hiring a bench coach is a bad idea. I was just curious as to who he is, not questioning him being a future manager.

My bad, then. It looked to me like you were questioning him being a manager because all he's been is a bench coach.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
You hear Fisk's name brought up every time there is a managerial opening for the Sox and I don't understand why. Has to be just wishful thinking, right? He'd be a disaster.

probably cause he'd stuff you in a locker the first week on the job...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:36 AM)
Can someone explain this Dave Martinez love to me please? Who is he? Why do so many people want him? I clicked a link from MLBTR, and it looks like he is a 31-year-old guy who couldn't cut it as a player. Did they link the wrong person? I'm drunk and confused.

Very friendly with Mrs. Sandberg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
That's one heckuvan endorsement.

Exactly what does anyone think Joe Maddon would say about his bench coach of the last 4 years? Lou Piniella, a pretty good manager, endorsed Mike Quade. Ozzie would give a ringing endorsement of Joey Cora. I hope Maddon's comments aren't taking as gospel. I won't be upset if KW hires him, but I hope he hires him because of what he says, not Joe Maddon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Ugh, Fisk has no qualifications whatsoever, but people will be all over it because it's Fisk.

God no. If Fisk really wants to manage, he needs to follow the Ryne Sandberg path of putting in his time as a minor league manager, or the Sandy Alomar path of working on a major league team in the various coaching positions. No one needs to go straight to managing. That would be a horrible, horrible mistake.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
Exactly what does anyone think Joe Maddon would say about his bench coach of the last 4 years? Lou Piniella, a pretty good manager, endorsed Mike Quade. Ozzie would give a ringing endorsement of Joey Cora. I hope Maddon's comments aren't taking as gospel. I won't be upset if KW hires him, but I hope he hires him because of what he says, not Joe Maddon.

Not to mention, if Maddon were to say his bench coach sucked, he be indicting himself as a teacher.

I doubt its Fisk. From what I heard, the sox want a manager who is also fluent in speaking Spanish to help communicate with the latin players. Martinez, LaRussa, Alomar and Pena are all fluent in Spanish. Not sure if that is why Francona isn't high on the sox list, but it might go with it.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I doubt its Fisk. From what is reported and from what I heard, the sox want want a manager who is also fluent in speaking Spanish to help communicate with the latin players. Martinez, LaRussa, Alomar and Pena are all fluent in Spanish.

With the Cubans on the roster, this isn't the worst idea I've ever heard.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I doubt its Fisk. From what I heard, the sox want a manager who is also fluent in speaking Spanish to help communicate with the latin players. Martinez, LaRussa, Alomar and Pena are all fluent in Spanish. Not sure if that is why Francona isn't high on the sox list, but it might go with it.

Is the manager going to speak English though?