White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
This.

He's going to get multiple offers.

Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs. Who else is actively searching for a manager? And the Cubs of course still haven't actually fired their guy since they don't have a GM yet.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)
5 minutes ago would have been a good time.

So Martinez is officially this season's backup quarterback guy. The guy every fan has to have, for no real reason except Sox fans like the fact he's a Sabes guy.

The Rays, who play in the biggest, baddest division in baseball, just got blown away by the Rangers.

I have nothing against the guy, but anybody who thinks he is a savior, just tell me why.

In my mind, he's no different from Alomar.

If Martinez truly is going to receive a lot of offers, I bet the only way the Sox get him is with a 4 year contract. Sox are a team going downhill unless KW reworks the roster fast.

No way in hell he'd choose Chicago over Boston if all these teams truly want him.

My guess is it's Alomar in a runaway in a cost effective move as the team tries to rebuild.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs. Who else is actively searching for a manager? And the Cubs of course still haven't actually fired their guy since they don't have a GM yet.

And the Red Sox still have to figure out the Theo Epstein situation, something's going to happen there whether it be a promotion or exodus.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
So Martinez is officially this season's backup quarterback guy. The guy every fan has to have, for no real reason except Sox fans like the fact he's a Sabes guy.

The Rays, who play in the biggest, baddest division in baseball, just got blown away by the Rangers.

I have nothing against the guy, but anybody who thinks he is a savior, just tell me why.

If Martinez truly is going to receive a lot of offers, I bet the only way the Sox get him is with a 4 year contract. Sox are a team going downhill unless KW reworks the roster fast.

No way in hell he'd choose Chicago over Boston if all these teams truly want him.

Every writer who comments on the subject has Martinez as the #1 candidate on the Sox's short list of potential managers, you act as though the Martinez excitement/interest has been manufactured by the fans.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)

My guess is it's Alomar in a runaway in a cost effective move as the team tries to rebuild.

Well, managers are all the same anyway, so it doesn't matter who we get, right?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
And the Red Sox still have to figure out the Theo Epstein situation, something's going to happen there whether it be a promotion or exodus.

So basically...the White Sox are the only team in position to make a rapid move right now.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Every writer who comments on the subject has Martinez as the #1 candidate on the Sox's short list of potential managers, you act as though the Martinez excitement/interest has been manufactured by the fans.

Really, every writer has Martinez as the #1 candidate on the Sox list? I'm actually surprised by this, I feel like there have been a whole lot of people who have written Alomar was the #1 on the Sox list.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Well, managers are all the same anyway, so it doesn't matter who we get, right?

Not if the managers are total buffoons like Bevington.

Not saying Martinez is that.

You guys pull all my quotes out of context whenever I make a long post. Ridiculous.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:59 PM)
Really, every writer has Martinez as the #1 candidate on the Sox list? I'm actually surprised by this, I feel like there have been a whole lot of people who have written Alomar was the #1 on the Sox list.

Pretty much. Alomar's name has started to fade a bit with Martinez gaining a lot of steam over the past week. Alomar definitely felt like the favorite a week ago, not so much anymore. I do feel as though Alomar is going to win the interview process, it just seems that's where he'd really shine.

Pretty much. Alomar's name has started to fade a bit with Martinez gaining a lot of steam over the past week. Alomar definitely felt like the favorite a week ago, not so much anymore. I do feel as though Alomar is going to win the interview process, it just seems that's where he'd really shine.

I still think it is Alomar, I think Dave Martinez goes to Boston. Alomar needs some seasoning, and I don't see any other team offering him a gig. Martinez, price tag if the Red Sox get in the mix might be too high, for letting the kids play.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I still think it is Alomar, I think Dave Martinez goes to Boston. Alomar needs some seasoning, and I don't see any other team offering him a gig. Martinez, price tag if the Red Sox get in the mix might be too high, for letting the kids play.

I agree 100 percent.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

This is what I think the most likely scenario is too. Unfortunately.

I also think Alomar really wants to stay in Cleveland. The ties are closer there, he might have a chance to manage them a few years down the road if he stays in the organization.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

Factors that you and others are overlooking:

1) Martinez's wife is from Chicago.

2) White Sox organization is extremely loyal and Martinez is familiar with it.

3) Knows Kenny Williams well from his playing days with the Expos, most likely wouldn't know his potential boss with the Cub or Red Sox quite as well.

4) Less pressure to win immediately with White Sox than with Red Sox and probably Cubs, which could be a nice perk for a first-time manager.

5) Position should be available quickly and before others.

There's more than money at play and the Sox can offer things other teams can't.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Factors that you and others are overlooking:

1) Martinez's wife is from Chicago.

2) White Sox organization is extremely loyal and Martinez is familiar with it.

3) Knows Kenny Williams well from his playing days with the Expos, most likely wouldn't know his potential boss with the Cub or Red Sox quite as well.

4) Less pressure to win immediately with White Sox than with Red Sox and probably Cubs, which could be a nice perk for a first-time manager.

5) Position should be available quickly and before others.

There's more than money at play and the Sox can offer things other teams can't.

Martinez also has a son attending Northwestern I believe.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
How is that any different than what you "accused" me of?

You're not fooling anybody. Your agenda is rather clear: Ozzie is god. KW sucks. What you're implying about me makes no sense. If I just wanted to b****, I'd 'secretly' be fine with Sale in the bullpen. Therefore I can just b**** and b**** and b****.