White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
You're not fooling anybody. Your agenda is rather clear: Ozzie is god. KW sucks. What you're implying about me makes no sense. If I just wanted to b****, I'd 'secretly' be fine with Sale in the bullpen. Therefore I can just b**** and b**** and b****.

You got one thing right. I think Kenny Williams does suck.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
That's also true...think he plays on one of their sports' teams too. Probably would be nice to watch some of his son's games.

Money will be the issue. If the Red Sox want him I don't see the Sox outbidding them.

Factors that you and others are overlooking:

1) Martinez's wife is from Chicago.

2) White Sox organization is extremely loyal and Martinez is familiar with it.

3) Knows Kenny Williams well from his playing days with the Expos, most likely wouldn't know his potential boss with the Cub or Red Sox quite as well.

4) Less pressure to win immediately with White Sox than with Red Sox and probably Cubs, which could be a nice perk for a first-time manager.

5) Position should be available quickly and before others.

There's more than money at play and the Sox can offer things other teams can't.

If that is a plus about him or here.. I don't want him. There should be pressure to win every year.. ZERO tolerance for Failure.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
If that is a plus about him or here.. I don't want him. There should be pressure to win every year.. ZERO tolerance for Failure.

Were used to tolerating that now. It'd just be nice to see a path forward.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Money will be the issue. If the Red Sox want him I don't see the Sox outbidding them.

I don't think they need to. I think he'd take less from the White Sox. Also, the Red Sox need to settle their GM situation before they can hire a new manager. Do you really think he's going to pass on a offer from us while he waits to see if the Red Sox have interest? An offer could come very quickly from us and we aren't going him an unlimited amount of time to decide. Furthermore, I'm not entirely convinced he'd be willing to join a divisional rival. It's probably not an issue, but it could possibly break a tie if other factors are even.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)

Define failure? Not making the playoffs? In the AL East, you can win 90 games and still not make the playoffs. If Martinez were to do something similar two years in a row, he'd probably be out of a job there. If you don't think job security comes into play with these decisions you are sadly mistaken.

Also, if there was zero tolerance for failure, then Ozzie should have been fired years ago. I've never seen a Chicago team underachieve quite like the Sox have post 2005. Obviously you don't hold Ozzie to the same standards.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)

Define failure? Not making the playoffs? In the AL East, you can win 90 games and still not make the playoffs. If Martinez were to do something similar two years in a row, he'd probably be out of a job there. If you don't think job security comes into play with these decisions you are sadly mistaken.

Also, if there was zero tolerance for failure, then Ozzie should have been fired years ago. I've never seen a Chicago team underachieve quite like the Sox have post 2005. Obviously you don't hold Ozzie to the same standards.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
Every writer who comments on the subject has Martinez as the #1 candidate on the Sox's short list of potential managers, you act as though the Martinez excitement/interest has been manufactured by the fans.

Some of it has. He's never managed, yet some are already "worried" about losing him. If the Sox offered him the job, and Boston offered him the job, if he really is as tight with Maddon as reported, he'd take the White Sox job. He wouldn't want to be directly competing and facing Maddon 18 times a year if he had an opportunity elsewhere. Plus they just got rid of a guy who brought them 2 championships in his 8 years, and the GM may leave. I think anyone would think long and hard about working in Boston if they have other options. The expectations are probably unrealistic at this point. If you win, you were supposed to, if you don't, you're a dope. There's expectations with the White Sox, but not nearly that level.

Not winning the World Series, is failure.

How is Kenny's built ball-clubs.. Ozzie's fault? The only time the Sox were successful, Kenny listened to Ozzie..

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
I still think it is Alomar, I think Dave Martinez goes to Boston. Alomar needs some seasoning, and I don't see any other team offering him a gig. Martinez, price tag if the Red Sox get in the mix might be too high, for letting the kids play.

I can't see Tampa letting Boston talk to Davey.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
I also think Alomar really wants to stay in Cleveland. The ties are closer there, he might have a chance to manage them a few years down the road if he stays in the organization.

He'd be an idiot to turn down a managerial job for one maybe in the future in Cleveland.

What's the difference- Martinez or Alomar?

Either way the Sox get what they want - a guy that is just happy to get his first gig so he will do whatever they tell him to and they pay him the minimum. Perfect.

If both those guys took different jobs then the Sox would find another candidate just like them.

They are not getting any LaRussa or Francona or anyone that costs money or has an opinion.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Why would you?

Because its bad practice to stop someone from getting a better job. If you didn't let him interview for a promotion and the Boston job, you could have A. A disgruntled employee and B. A reputation that may make it hard for you in the future to bring in quality people who have managerial asparations.

If you think as highly of Martinez as Maddon and the rest of the organization apparently do, if he has possibly a better opportunity, wouldn't you want him to at least explore it?

Does anyone even know the last time a team was denied permission from a team to interview a coach for a managerial gig? Coaching gig to coaching gig, I could understand, but not a bump up.

Edited by Dick Allen