White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:26 PM)
Because its bad practice to stop someone from getting a better job. If you didn't let him interview for a promotion and the Boston job, you could have A. A disgruntled employee and B. A reputation that may make it hard for you in the future to bring in quality people who have managerial asparations.

If you think as highly of Martinez as Maddon and the rest of the organization apparently do, if he has possibly a better opportunity, wouldn't you want him to at least explore it?

Does anyone even know the last time a team was denied permission from a team to interview a coach for a managerial gig? Coaching gig to coaching gig, I could understand, but not a bump up.

I don't see denying the potential of improving your rivals as bad business practice. I see it as smart business.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't see denying the potential of improving your rivals as bad business practice. I see it as smart business.

Then they really shouldn't let Martinez interview with any team because they all are rivals even the White Sox. You're just trying to start an argument. I won't take the bait.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Then they really shouldn't let Martinez interview with any team because they all are rivals even the White Sox. You're just trying to start an argument. I won't take the bait.

Do you really see Boston and the White Sox as the same thing? Ok.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Do you really see Boston and the White Sox as the same thing? Ok.

Really as an administrator you should be above board, this obvious attempt to start a silly argument shouldn't happen. Why would they let him interview with Toronto? Same division, same number of games. And if he's Joe Maddon II they will be in the hunt, correct? If the White Sox want him, he won't want to go up against Maddon 18 times so the White Sox will have the advantage, but a manager gig is a manager gig and no team is going to stop a coach from that. They might offer him beginner manager money to stay, not Tampa, but maybe the Yankees, but it doesn't happen. Name one time a team denied permission for a coach to interview for a managerial position. You will not have an answer. Again.

From the Tribune:

A Rays source said they would be very pleased if Martinez received a managerial job and that they would be prepared to replace him if he does.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Really as an administrator you should be above board, this obvious attempt to start a silly argument shouldn't happen. Why would they let him interview with Toronto? Same division, same number of games. And if he's Joe Maddon II they will be in the hunt, correct? If the White Sox want him, he won't want to go up against Maddon 18 times so the White Sox will have the advantage, but a manager gig is a manager gig and no team is going to stop a coach from that. They might offer him manager money to stay, not Tampa, but maybe the Yankees, but it doesn't happen. Name one time a team denied permission for a coach to interview for a managerial position. You will not have an answer. Again.

From the Tribune:

A Rays source said they would be very pleased if Martinez received a managerial job and that they would be prepared to replace him if he does.

If you don't want to have the discussion, just walk away, don't make something up.

It has been speculated by national writers that his could happen. If you don't believe me, go check twitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
If you don't want to have the discussion, just walk away, don't make something up.

It has been speculated by national writers that his could happen. If you don't believe me, go check twitter.

I haven't made anything up. When has a team denied permission? Just give me one time. If Martinez wants to interview with Boston and they want to talk to him, no one is going to stand in his way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:53 PM)
I haven't made anything up. When has a team denied permission? Just give me one time. If Martinez wants to interview with Boston and they want to talk to him, no one is going to stand in his way.

Apparently your google doesn't work?

http://i.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/story/?id=337376...ame=mlb-dodgers

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Apparently your google doesn't work?

http://i.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/story/?id=337376...ame=mlb-dodgers

And for good measure...

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

rays owner sternberg allows employees to talk to other teams about jobs. but if its redsox/maddon, open policy may close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
And for good measure...

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

rays owner sternberg allows employees to talk to other teams about jobs. but if its redsox/maddon, open policy may close.

I thought we were taking about Martinez, not Maddon? Martinez is a coach, Maddon is a manager.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Not winning the World Series, is failure.

How is Kenny's built ball-clubs.. Ozzie's fault? The only time the Sox were successful, Kenny listened to Ozzie..

Are you suggesting that Ozzie told Kenny to acquire Iguchi, A.J., Dye, Everett, Uribe, Harris, Blum, Widger, Ozuna, Jenks, Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Marte, Vizcaino, Shingo, El Duque, and Contreras? Did he have KW draft, develop, and/or call up Beurhle, Garland, Rowand, Crede, and McCarthy? He clearly had nothing to do with Konerko or Thomas. That leaves Podsednik, Garcia, and maybe Timo where Guillen POSSIBLY had some influence.

If you want to attribute that roster to KW getting lucky that's one thing. But to even suggest that Ozzie had anything significant to do with its composition proves that you either know nothing about baseball or you just want to slob on Gullien's knob. In the future, please try to use some reason or logic in your posts or simply STFU.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Are you suggesting that Ozzie told Kenny to acquire Iguchi, A.J., Dye, Everett, Uribe, Harris, Blum, Widger, Ozuna, Jenks, Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Marte, Vizcaino, Shingo, El Duque, and Contreras? Did he have KW draft, develop, and/or call up Beurhle, Garland, Rowand, Crede, and McCarthy? He clearly had nothing to do with Konerko or Thomas. That leaves Podsednik, Garcia, and maybe Timo where Guillen POSSIBLY had some influence.

If you want to attribute that roster to KW getting lucky that's one thing. But to even suggest that Ozzie had anything significant to do with its composition proves that you either know nothing about baseball or you just want to slob on Gullien's knob. In the future, please try to use some reason or logic in your posts or simply STFU.

Yes, of course.

Not meaning to flame at all, but do the Rays losing to the same team two years in a row and getting faceplanted AT HOME by Texas change anybody's opinion of Maddon and/or Martinez?

Texas is good, but what's up with getting smoked at home like that two years in a row?

I don't think that woulda played well if it had been the Sox in the playoffs losing to the same team two years in a row and getting eliminated at the Cell.

I realize Maddon/Martinez did a nice job rallying past Boston, but quick exits in the playoffs are not ideal.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)
Not meaning to flame at all, but do the Rays losing to the same team two years in a row and getting faceplanted AT HOME by Texas change anybody's opinion of Maddon and/or Martinez?

Texas is good, but what's up with getting smoked at home like that two years in a row?

I don't think that woulda played well if it had been the Sox in the playoffs losing to the same team two years in a row and getting eliminated at the Cell.

I realize Maddon/Martinez did a nice job rallying past Boston, but quick exits in the playoffs are not ideal.

I don't know. I guess I'd rather a team with a payroll 100 million lower than the one it beat for the wildcard make it to the dance. Ozzie's overpaid White Sox can't even get to the dance, and the last time they did the Rays gave then a swift ass whooping.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 04:12 AM)
I don't know. I guess I'd rather a team with a payroll 100 million lower than the one it beat for the wildcard make it to the dance. Ozzie's overpaid White Sox can't even get to the dance, and the last time they did the Rays gave then a swift ass whooping.

Making it to the dance and losing to the same team at home two years in a row doesn't normally make for happy fans.

Me thinks there are some Maddon haters tonight in Florida. If anybody truly cares down there which is debatable.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Making it to the dance and losing to the same team at home two years in a row doesn't normally make for happy fans.

Me thinks there are some Maddon haters tonight in Florida. If anybody truly cares down there which is debatable.

Simple formula

Making it to the playoffs and losing 2 years in a row >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the hot garbage we have been privy to the last 2 years here on the south side.

42 million dollar pay roll.

Getting faceplanted at home and on the road did nothing to change your opinion of Ozzie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 12:07 AM)

It wouldn't have played well...but take note...the White Sox faceplanted against the Rays the only time they made the playoffs in the last 5 years. And at least we'd have made the d*mn playoffs.