White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
@ChuckGarfien

Chuck Garfien

Clearing up published report, Joey Cora thought he was interim manager because Ozzie told him so. Ozzie just assumed.

22 seconds ago via UberSocial for BlackBerry

There, now people jumping to ridiculous conclusions can just drop it.

Ah yes, the Cowardly one is shot down... Again.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
Alomar has everything the Sox are probably looking for. They loved him as a future manager when he was on the team 3 or 4 times, so familiarity, he's well respected around the game and it would be his first managerial gig, so the price is right, plus not that it matters, I still think he has a place here.

Very good points. I knew with JR being on Selig's minority hiring committee Alomar or Martinez would be viable option's for the Sox. I hope whoever the new manager is the culture of the team changes for the better!

Edited by Soxfest

If it's Alomar...so be it. Who's to say he's better or worse than Martinez. I remember when Don Wakamatsu was supposed to be the s*** too...we'll see. Only problem I have is two of my favorite teams now will have head coaches named Sandy and Lovie from the city with the big shoulders. :wub: hmmmmm....Mr. Horse says, "no sir....I don't like it."

Sounds like Martinez is probably on KW's short list. During his interview earlier today, KW said that it would take longer than a week to hire a new manager and alluded there may be a candidate on a potential playoff team that could delay his decision. Seems like Martinez is most likely that guy and I couldn't be happier.

Honestly though, I'd be fine with Martinez or Alomar as our next manager. I also wouldn't mind Laker as our hitting coach and McEwing as our 3rd base coach, though I'm cool with whomever our new manager picks. I would love at least one coach to be hired from outside the organization and preferably that be our bench coach. I can't think of a name right now, but someone with past coaching experience would be nice.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
What about Martinez makes everybody want him? How do we know he's a sabermetrics guy?

I feel like everybody wants to ride this idea, how do we even know much about him as a head manager?

Someone really needs to writeup a good answer to this question so we can put it at the top of the forum.

The easiest answer is that he's worked along side the best manager in baseball for 4 years now, he's Maddon's righthand man and stats guy and Maddon vouches for him. That's really good enough for me. Stone actually put it pretty well this morning, paraphrasing:

"you can't get those shots of Joe Maddon in the Rays dugout without seeing Dave Martinez over his shoulder."

as for this:

how do we even know much about him as a head manager?

Well, we don't. You could ask that same question of any candidate, we just have to go off what we know and from what I personally know of Dave Martinez, I'd love it if the Sox gave him a shot. He could absolutely fail, there's really no way of knowing but when looking for your next manager a great way to go about it is hiring off coaching trees, it's how the Rays landed Maddon: hiring off the Scioscia tree, now Maddon's gotten to the point where he has his own tree in play. The good thing about Martinez compared to someone like Sandberg is at least he's gained experience on a Major League bench along side a great manager.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
What I'd like to see is some type of direct link or connection between SABR/statistical analysis and Martinez.

There was the same debate in the past about Hahn.

Haven't you read how Tampa operates? I'll google some articles. But they're extremely pro-Saber.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
What I'd like to see is some type of direct link or connection between SABR/statistical analysis and Martinez.

There was the same debate in the past about Hahn.

This one is all about their defense. Since 2008 they've put together the most reliable defense in the league. And they got there by going off of the modern defense numbers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
I don't see LaRussa taking the job with Williams remaining GM.

Why would anybody want to work for KW?

Why would LaRussa want to come to Chicago when he has a much much better job?

They are not going to fire him. He did a nice job this year.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Wouldn't that be sort of redundant? You've already interviewed random people in Kansas.

:lol:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Exactly. KW said nothing of the sort last night and Cora's name wasn't even mentioned in the official press release or Merkin's story that was published around 12:30 last night. Seems like local reporters were just throwing Cora's name out there on Twitter since he was the bench coach, the White Sox never publicly named Cora anything. It only makes sense that Coop would be the man from the start, he's a KW guy and they're trying to make him as happy as possible to keep his ass around into the next regime, Cora was always going to follow Ozzie, why would KW hand the reins over to him for the final 2 games?

Makes perfect sense to me.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
@ChuckGarfien

Chuck Garfien

Clearing up published report, Joey Cora thought he was interim manager because Ozzie told him so. Ozzie just assumed.

22 seconds ago via UberSocial for BlackBerry

There, now people jumping to ridiculous conclusions can just drop it.

Perhaps they can now put the blame where it belongs, on Ozzie. Clearly he had no power to tell Cora that he'd be the interim manager. But again, it was blamed on KW.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
This might be a dumb question, but what's so great about a manager that uses SABR?

It's not even SABR...I think that comes with some unfortunate implications these days...it's more just a question, at least IMHO, of using all available data to make the most effective decisions in both game situations as well as personnel...it doesn't necessarily have to involve some sort of controversial metrics, but more just firm grasp of what strategies lead to the best outcomes on a baseball scoreboard.

It was extremely apparent that Ozzie didn't believe in this, but rather "playing the game the right way," which couldn't have been more oxymoronic to say had he tried.