White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
This one is all about their defense. Since 2008 they've put together the most reliable defense in the league. And they got there by going off of the modern defense numbers.

So what the Mariners with Jack Z. were also trying to do, but with much more potent offensive output?

It's unfortunate that situations like that got the "movement" a bad name in some circles, because the ideas themselves (building around pitching/speed/defense at SAFECO) were sound....it was just the execution (or lack thereof) with putting the proper personnel in place to make it feasible.

The A's approach worked while Giambi/Chavez/Tejada/Hudson/Mulder/Zito were relatively affordable. They held it together with a "band aid" closer from year to year, selling high and buying low (like they did with the Koch/Foulke flip).

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wedge @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
This might be a dumb question, but what's so great about a manager that uses SABR?

There's little I dislike more in baseball than an absurd focus on advanced stats. But that said, we need BALANCE here. This organization always seems to be tilted too far one way or another. I want to have all ideas considered and all potential resources exploited. You need both sides to work together, and at first, that is what we got with KW & Ozzie as a pair. I think Kenny is pretty open to both sides of this, especially since the '05 run, and getting a manager who is also open to both the scouting/observational side as well as the advanced statistics/predictive side would be a step in the right direction.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:09 AM)
I hope everybody realizes LaRussa was a pipe dream now.

He's done a great job this season. No way in the world they'll let him manage another team.

He's in St. Looie til he decides to hang 'em up.

Whose pipe dream? I don't think anyone had him as their top choice. He was just a rumor that the media threw out there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 05:09 AM)
The Sox can wait for the Rays to do whatever. If time is really that much of an issue, then hope Boston somehow wins tomorrow and Tampa loses. Dave Martinez is 20x the candidate Alomar is.

So I take it you have spoken with both. I really don't understand how any of us could know who really is the better candidate. Basing everything on one guy being a first base coach and one guy being Joe Madden's bench coach is akin to selecting NFL players the draft based soley on what school they attended, without any regard to anything else. Last year Alomar and Martinez were both interviewed for the Toronto job. Neither got it, but Alomar was the runner up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (MAX @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
Whose pipe dream? I don't think anyone had him as their top choice. He was just a rumor that the media threw out there.

Exactly. Very very few people around these parts have TLR as their top choice. Team Davey is in the lead by far because his SABR is so dreamy.

Bernie Miklasz, a St. Louis radio guy was speculating that LaRussa may have interest in managing the Sox for a year or two before moving into the front office. He says that LaRussa has stated that he eventually wants a higher up position. Not sure how likely it is, but with the JR & TLR relationship it is certainly plausible. Although I did read somewhere that both KW & TLR do not want to work with the other.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 07:22 AM)
Last year Alomar and Martinez were both interviewed for the Toronto job. Neither got it, but Alomar was the runner up.

Though I've been on the Martinez bandwagon for a couple years now, I always found former catchers to be very intriguing as managers. Part of that is Scioscia being a personal favorite of mine however.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
Bernie Miklasz, a St. Louis radio guy was speculating that LaRussa may have interest in managing the Sox for a year or two before moving into the front office. He says that LaRussa has stated that he eventually wants a higher up position. Not sure how likely it is, but with the JR & TLR relationship it is certainly plausible. Although I did read somewhere that both KW & TLR do not want to work with the other.

If KW is already offering his resignation though, that could give the higher ups a way out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
So I take it you have spoken with both. I really don't understand how any of us could know who really is the better candidate. Basing everything on one guy being a first base coach and one guy being Joe Madden's bench coach is akin to selecting NFL players the draft based soley on what school they attended, without any regard to anything else. Last year Alomar and Martinez were both interviewed for the Toronto job. Neither got it, but Alomar was the runner up.

Exactly, why does everyone assume Martinez is going to be great and Alomar not so great. None of know. In football, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Cheeseburger were supposedly "great" candidates as HC's and how did that turn out? Not saying Martinez won't be great but none of us really know and, while we all have our favorite candidate, it's kind of pointless to say with any conviction that one is going to be better than the other.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Any reason in particular that Sandy Alomar Jr. is going to get this job? My preference was Dave Martinez, but if the qualifications are "was a catcher for the White Sox" then f***ing give it to Corky Miller.

So if Dave Martinez gets the job, does that mean he only got it because he "was an outfielder for the White Sox"?

"I know Kenny from the past," Alomar, now a coach with the Indians, said Wednesday night before their final game. "I'm sure he'll get the right person."

But, stressed Alomar — whom the Indians promoted from first base coach to bench coach Wednesday after a retirement — he has not talked to anyone and knows no one has asked for permission to contact him.

Alomar at least is likely to receive an interview, but he knows the Rays' Dave Martinez, among others, also has been mentioned for the job.

Martinez, a former Sox and Cubs outfielder, brings somewhat better surface qualifications as a veteran bench coach, while Alomar has been a bullpen coach with the Mets and first base coach for the Indians.

But although he never has managed, the longtime catcher is so respected, "he's the hot commodity," according to Indians manager Manny Acta.

"He's very prepared," Acta said. "He's one of those few gifted guys who not only was a good player but also had the passion and willingness to put the time in to prepare for (the future)."

Endorsements from ex-teammates and executives seem almost endless, including this from Sox captain Paul Konerko:

"I don't think there's anyone out there who hasn't managed yet who has a better pedigree than Sandy. You break it down and look at what's really important to be a manager. Sandy has it all."

And this from longtime Indians teammate and former spring training roommate Jim Thome:

"There's no question he would be great. He was a big leader on our teams in the '90s. He was the true captain of those teams. He's definitely well-deserving."

And this from an executive with the Blue Jays, who interviewed Alomar as a managerial candidate last year:

"His interview was very, very, very impressive."

However, Alomar is not ready to fall all over himself just to get the Sox job. After all, he has strong ties to the Indians after spending 11 seasons catching for them and two years coaching.

"But if (a job offer) comes along and it is the right moment for me, yes (I would consider it)," he said. "You don't have to take any manager's job just because it is offered to you. Many things go on in interviews.

"If you feel uncomfortable, there's some principle involved in it. It's not about just being a manager or the money. There are a lot of things involved in that process, and the process hasn't started yet."

Alomar is confident in his abilities and says he "managed" not only as a catcher, but also from the bench as his playing days were winding down after 20 years and nearly 1,400 games.

More at link