White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Alomar to Martinez considers so many factors not evident to anyone that doesn't know them and has interviewed them.

That being said, there is a difference between Martinez as a four-year Bench Coach for the best Manager in baseball right now in the Rays dugout and Sandy standing in The Tribe's first base coaches box...Sandy has just now reached the status of Bench Coach starting next season. Martinez has been one for four very successful seasons with what many consider among the finest franchises in MLB.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
If we're rebuilding how could anyone see Francona as a real possibility? Hoping it's Alomar.

How is it rebuilding when you have AJ, Lexi (33?), Konerko, Quentin, Rios and Dunn as everyday players?

What are we rebuilding? Our pitching staff?

Bring in Francona, keep Buehrle and see if the new regime can win a pennant.

Man, just watching the Rays game last night, everytime they showed Maddon, Martinez was right there with his own scribbles on paper. They almost seem like equals in that dugout...

I'd be very satisfied with his being hired as manager. I sure hope KW/Jerry do their due diligence.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
Man, just watching the Rays game last night, everytime they showed Maddon, Martinez was right there with his own scribbles on paper. They almost seem like equals in that dugout...

I'd be very satisfied with his being hired as manager. I sure hope KW/Jerry do their due diligence.

I loved his quote.

"If you're not a fan of baseball...you're not a fan!"

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Jon Heyman

doesnt sound like #chisox would be legit landing spot for francona. folks think they may go younger

2 minutes ago via web

KW should be fired if he doesn't go after the best available guy.

I have this weird feeling some guys may turn the job down, though.

You got a pretty boy GM with an ego and an owner who at any moment might go on the cheap again.

And you got the Dunn problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)

You got a pretty boy GM with an ego and an owner who at any moment might go on the cheap again.

You could say that about any team that is looking for a manager.

That is why they are looking for a manager.

All GM's have large egos or they suck, all rosters are flawed and all teams except (Boston, the Yanks and the Phils) could go cheap.

I think Chicago is a wonderful option and will be sought after.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
You could say that about any team that is looking for a manager.

That is why they are looking for a manager.

All GM's have large egos or they suck, all rosters are flawed and all teams except (Boston, the Yanks and the Phils) could go cheap.

I think Chicago is a wonderful option and will be sought after.

Even if you're a quiet guy, Chicago is a great outside-endorsement city for the managers of the baseball teams, and they have an owner who is loyal to a fault. No one is turning down the job because of "The Adam Dunn Problem". There are 30 of those jobs in existence.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)

Assuming he has a blank checkbook.

Which clearly he doesn't.

Otherwise, any one of us could get on a plane (ala Billy Beane in MONEYBALL), go to St. Pete and bring Dave Martinez back as the new Sox manager, or Terry Francona, for that matter.

And the manager has to be signed off on by JR, as well.

So if JR wanted to spend $7.5 million, give LaRussa a seat on the board/partial ownership interest and promised a "golden parachute/front office" position for TLR at age 70, do you really think LaRussa would still stay in St. Louis?

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 06:34 AM)
enough with the White Sox brotherhood hires, enough is enough of this inhouse/past players bulls***

Brotherhood, hire?

He's a two-time world champion for god sakes.

He's be a super hire.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Assuming he has a blank checkbook.

Which clearly he doesn't.

Otherwise, any one of us could get on a plane (ala Billy Beane in MONEYBALL), go to St. Pete and bring Dave Martinez back as the new Sox manager, or Terry Francona, for that matter.

And the manager has to be signed off on by JR, as well.

So if JR wanted to spend $7.5 million, give LaRussa a seat on the board/partial ownership interest and promised a "golden parachute/front office" position for TLR at age 70, do you really think LaRussa would still stay in St. Louis?

Oh cmon.

s***ty baseball players make 3 million a year.

We can afford to pay Tito 3-4 million.

It's absurd to cite money as the reason for Sandy over Tito.

Pay the man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
Oh cmon.

s***ty baseball players make 3 million a year.

We can afford to pay Tito 3-4 million.

It's absurd to cite money as the reason for Sandy over Tito.

Pay the man.

You should write a letter about this to JR.

Because it has never happened under his watch with the White Sox in nearly 30 years.

Phil Jackson's another story, and yet he ultimately lost out in the end to the "organizational" guy in the front office...just like Ozzie did.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Anyone surprised how 'easily' they let Tito go? Something must not be right in the clubhouse, I understand Red Sox and all, but still had a good season.

You can't have the biggest Sept fail in MLB history and not have fallout.

Take it for what it's worth, but a guy that has worked for the Sox and still with good connections said the buzz is all about LaRussa, with Francona behind him. JR loves LaRussa and if there's any shot of him leaving STL, JR will offer him a good contract to come over.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Anyone surprised how 'easily' they let Tito go? Something must not be right in the clubhouse, I understand Red Sox and all, but still had a good season.

A lot of reports out of Boston suggesting major clubhouse problems. Pitchers drinking in the clubhouse during games on their off days, veterans like Becket rubbing off poorly on guys like Lester and Buckholtz, Lackey being a total mess. It sounds like Tito was completely worn down and knew he was done there.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...managers_style/

I would still love to have him as the Sox next manager, but it almost sounds like he needs to step away from the game for a year or two.

Edited by shakes

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
It would be nice if someone could consolidate the pros and cons for each potential manager in a relatively unbiased post. I don't know enough about any of these men to make any kind of an assessment.

Nobody really does, they are all guesses based on history and coaching tree. Honestly I am happy that there arent really any crappy candidates being forced on us at this point because they are cheap. Joey Cora would rank below all of the ones I have heard so far and I always thought he was the heir apparent.

FWIW, Davey Martinez has a hitting/bench coach history and doesnt really do much with pitching. We just happen to have a pitching coach already in place and rumors are swirling that Baines may be in line for the next hitting coach position.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Take it for what it's worth, but a guy that has worked for the Sox and still with good connections said the buzz is all about LaRussa, with Francona behind him. JR loves LaRussa and if there's any shot of him leaving STL, JR will offer him a good contract to come over.

I don't doubt this for a second. It would take some convincing to get LaRussa to agree as he's not keen on having KW remain as GM. I did find it interesting that Williams made a point of saying he could work with anyone in the Comcast interview. I'm surprised that Chairman Reinsdorf didn't move Williams up to pave the way for LaRussa's return.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
I don't doubt this for a second. It would take some convincing to get LaRussa to agree as he's not keen on having KW remain as GM. I did find it interesting that Williams made a point of saying he could work with anyone in the Comcast interview. I'm surprised that Chairman Reinsdorf didn't move Williams up to pave the way for LaRussa's return.

How do you know this?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
It would be nice if someone could consolidate the pros and cons for each potential manager in a relatively unbiased post. I don't know enough about any of these men to make any kind of an assessment.

I was just about to post something like this.