Offseason Plans

kwill

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
Yes they do. Baseball takes in an enormous amount of shared funds these days. DirecTV package, radio packages, merchandise, playoff revenue, national TV contracts, ESPN contracts, those funds don't just go to the low revenue teams.

The Luxury tax dollars go to the low salary teams...but at this point, even the Yankees are only paying a small luxury tax amount.

They paid something like $130 million in revenue sharing in 2010.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
And watch your season ticket base go back to 1970 levels.

Late 1990s levels is probably more like it.

At this point, the Sox need to worry more about rebuilding than pandering to fans. Sox fans don't show up to watch mediocre teams overspend to play .500 ball. Attendance barely hit 2 million this year and I suspect that they'll struggle to draw 1.8 million next year.

If I'm Kenny, I try to trade Quentin's rights this winter, try to re-sign Buehrle to a short-term deal and see how things go next spring. If they're mired in third place, I move Danks and Floyd before the deadline. They need to get *something* in return for these guys.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5716354.story

As general manager Ken Williams attempts to be as flexible as possible in fielding a competitive White Sox team for 2012, the manager he recommends to take over must also be able to adjust.

"The combination of good young talent that we need to see play more and veterans that we need to see how they will bounce back, leaves us in a holding pattern until the two blend and reveal to us who we are," Williams wrote Monday in an email. "Only then can we plot an aggressive course for either more youth or additional veteran help."

The expected changes include more playing time for 22-year-old Dayan Viciedo, Tyler Flowers and Alejandro De Aza, the transition of left-hander Chris Sale from the bullpen to the rotation and the potential for any combination of slugger Carlos Quentin, Matt Thornton, Gavin Floyd and John Danks to be traded for younger talent. There's also the possibility of Mark Buehrle leaving for free agency.

Scouts from several teams watched the Sox during their final two homestands to make evaluations on players heading into the winter.

As for the on-field leadership, "the manager and coaching staff will be equipped to work with young players and veterans alike," Williams concluded.

That description would tend to favor a candidate with some managerial experience. One team source said Monday not to rule out Terry Francona, who recently resigned from the Red Sox after eight seasons that included two World Series championships.

Francona would have earned $4.25 million in 2012 had Boston picked up his option — twice the amount Ozzie Guillen would have received had he stayed with the White Sox. But the source said Francona, 52, has plenty of backing within the organization.

"He has a lot of supporters," the source said of Francona, who managed the Phillies for four seasons (1997-2000) but never finished higher than third place in the National League East.

At the same time, the Sox may want a manager who can grow with his players in an increasingly competitive American League Central.

First baseman Paul Konerko said last week that Sandy Alomar Jr. is more than qualified to manage. Alomar, 45, was recently promoted to Indians bench coach, and he has remained in contact with several current Sox players.

Davey Martinez, like Alomar, is a former Sox player. Martinez, 47, has played an important role in helping manager Joe Maddon with the Rays' outfield defense as well as helping shut down the opponents' running game — a longtime Sox weakness.

Maddon has praised Martinez for his strong opinions, which might be a breath of fresh air to a Sox coaching staff that is half-filled with retainees.

One longtime scout who has followed the Sox said last week that former Pirates and Reds manager and current Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin would be an ideal candidate. But Mackanin's only ties are that he grew up on the South Side and attended Brother Rice High School.

mgonzales@tribune.com

I think I've been in the minority saying that "all in" for 2011 meant all in for 2012 as well. I don't see us going down to a 100M payroll or whatever with all of the bad contracts we have without drastically pissing off the fan base. Not to mention, as has been mentioned here many times, there's a portion of us who believe this team still makes out ok even with a poor turnout of 2M fans and a 120M payroll, despite what management would like us to believe.

Edited by JohnCangelosi

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/...tm_medium=email

When you're the general manager responsible for investing $127 million on a baseball team that wins only 79 games and finishes 16 games out of first place, you're not exactly going to be a happy camper. These are the facts Kenny Williams has to live with this off-season, how a team that had so much potential never came close to meeting expectations.

With the White Sox season now two weeks in the rear-view mirror, Williams is still digesting what happened, and it doesn’t taste good.

"It's the most disappointing year that I've had in baseball," Williams said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. "I thought we had another opportunity to position ourselves for another championship."

So what kind of position are the White Sox in now?

"We do have some payroll limitations. It didn't work out last year. That was the gamble by going out on a limb payroll-wise and it backfired. We lost money, bottom line," Williams said. "Are we going to now take the same gamble? The answer to the question is no. We’ve got to take a step back, but that doesn't mean we're not going to try to win just the same."

Changes to the White Sox roster are coming. That's a given. As for who and how many?

"I can't even look at that until we sit down as a group. I don't want to do that right now because the wounds are still fresh. We are a very frustrated group, because we had expectations. Let's not be reactionary based on all of that disappointment too quickly, because these are players with track records. So let's take a deep breath, clear our heads, come back, and make some good solid decisions."

The biggest decision might be what do about free agent Mark Buehrle. He's prepared to test the open market, and with the Sox cutting payroll they might not be able to afford him.

"He's made no mistake about it, he wants to be back here," Williams said. "We would like him to be back here. Does it all fit together? I don't know yet."

With Theo Epstein headed to the Cubs, you can forget about assistant general manager Rick Hahn crossing over to the other side of town to fill the GM role. But the Angels and Orioles have openings. Others will pop up if not this year, then next year. Is Williams concerned he's going to lose his right-hand man?

"Sure, but if it happens I'm happy for him. He's one of the brightest minds in the game. He's been an asset around here for sure. I'd like to see him get an opportunity. If that comes now, great. It's coming. I know that."

RELATED STORIES

If it's $110 million, that's great news. A lot more flexibility than I feared.

The four biggies for 2012 are Peavy at $17, Rios at $12.5, Dunn at $14, and Konerko at $12. So $55.5 for the big contracts.

Other money on the books: $6 for AJ, $7 for Floyd, $5.5 for Thornton, $4.5 for Crain, $2.5 for Ohman, $1 for Santos, $3.25 for Viciedo, and $5 for Ramirez. So another $34.75.

I believe Quentin, Danks, and Beckham are all arbitration eligibile. My guess is the Sox would be lucky for that group to sum to $20M.

This doesn't account for De Aza, Humber, Lillibridge, or Flowers. Even with those guys, I count 6 more roster spots that need to be filled.

That's $110M before counting the low salary guys and adding anybody (or picking up Frasor's option). You have to figure Buehrle is a casualty unless they trade somebody.

I would make the following trades..

Danks to TX for Martin Perez P and Profar SS. Since Profar is stuck behind Elvis.

Konerko to AZ for Skaggs P and Bobby Borchering 3B.

AJ to LA Dodgers for Angel Sanchez P

Floyd & Alexei to Reds for Alonso 1B, Bill Bray LR and Billy Hamilton Utily

Peavy and Thornton to Yanks for Gary Sanchez C, Bettances P and David Phelps P

Quentin to Phils for Domonic Brown OF

Would also try to trade Dunn, Crain, and Rios

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
Danks to TX for Martin Perez P and Profar SS. Since Profar is stuck behind Elvis.

To get Perez and Profar, we'd probably have to include Viciedo and Sale with Danks. Profar is a top 3 prospect in all of baseball now.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)

We'll put you down for trading the entire roster.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)

ELL OHH ELL

ps3-repair-san-diego.jpg

Best way to anticipate and weather your moves and how you will compete is to take a look at what else is going on in the Central. What moves are the Twins and Tigers making in free agency? How is their minor league talent? The Sox were right there most of the season, had Dunn had his normal 40+ homers and 110+ RBIs I think this team would have contended at least until the end. Your DH has to perform.

QUOTE (jwmann2 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
Best way to anticipate and weather your moves and how you will compete is to take a look at what else is going on in the Central. What moves are the Twins and Tigers making in free agency? How is their minor league talent? The Sox were right there most of the season, had Dunn had his normal 40+ homers and 110+ RBIs I think this team would have contended at least until the end. Your DH has to perform.

The Tigers will have a substantial sum to spend in free agency and really aren't losing anyone of significance to their team. The Tigers have substantial room to get better next year based on this money. The Twins are in rough shape and really have no option other than to count on Mauer and Morneau to rebound next year. They're likely to lose guys that they don't have the resources to replace right now such as Cuddyer, and their AAA players didn't step up and impress this year when they came up.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
If it's $110 million, that's great news. A lot more flexibility than I feared.

The four biggies for 2012 are Peavy at $17, Rios at $12.5, Dunn at $14, and Konerko at $12. So $55.5 for the big contracts.

Other money on the books: $6 for AJ, $7 for Floyd, $5.5 for Thornton, $4.5 for Crain, $2.5 for Ohman, $1 for Santos, $3.25 for Viciedo, and $5 for Ramirez. So another $34.75.

I believe Quentin, Danks, and Beckham are all arbitration eligibile. My guess is the Sox would be lucky for that group to sum to $20M.

This doesn't account for De Aza, Humber, Lillibridge, or Flowers. Even with those guys, I count 6 more roster spots that need to be filled.

That's $110M before counting the low salary guys and adding anybody (or picking up Frasor's option). You have to figure Buehrle is a casualty unless they trade somebody.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
The Tigers will have a substantial sum to spend in free agency and really aren't losing anyone of significance to their team. The Tigers have substantial room to get better next year based on this money. The Twins are in rough shape and really have no option other than to count on Mauer and Morneau to rebound next year. They're likely to lose guys that they don't have the resources to replace right now such as Cuddyer, and their AAA players didn't step up and impress this year when they came up.

Nothing would thrill me more than for the Tigers to spend loads of money on pitching.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)

lol what?! Those wouldn't even fly in a video game. Peavy and Thornton for Sanchez, Betances, and Phelps rofl

Awkwardly, the proposed Reds deal is as lopsided against the Sox as all of the others are lopsided FOR the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Nothing would thrill me more than for the Tigers to spend loads of money on pitching.

If you're in Detroit, don't you almost have to? They're down to 0 bad contracts after this year with a ton of money to spend and a need for pitching.