Offseason Plans

kwill

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
If AJ is on the team, IMO there's no way the new manager sits him 3 games a week, unless he DHs one of those games. If he's not playing 5 or 6 out of every seven, I bet you see a rift with AJ and the new manager, which the new manager won't want.

Did you see the one postgame presser where the Mets' manager was crying recently about letting Reyes sit out most of that final game? He said he spent the year trying to earn the players' respect and he was fine with doing Reyes the favor. The Sox new manager can't afford to run afoul of AJ. So if AJ is healthy, Flowers will get Castro-like playing time, not much at all.

I wasn't implying he should sit 3 games every week, I said 1-3, depending on matchups. I think if it is AJ and Flowers behind the plate in 2012 I definitely think Flowers will get more playing time than Castro did this season. If there was a rift between AJ and the new manager it could be good as it would give AJ a reason to waive his no trade clause mid season.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
I think they're going to wait for Hamels/Cain to hit FA. They didn't bite on Greinke or Ubaldo, the latter on an extremely team-friendly contract. I can't see them doing so for Danks.

If the Yankees lose to the Tigers they won't be allowed to wait on Hamels/Cain.

I think they're going to wait for Hamels/Cain to hit FA. They didn't bite on Greinke or Ubaldo, the latter on an extremely team-friendly contract. I can't see them doing so for Danks.

But Danks is going to be a 20 game winner.... so we should get Gardner, Cano and Jesus Montero(sp)... Well According to hawk he is.. so he has to be.

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
If the Yankees lose to the Tigers they won't be allowed to wait on Hamels/Cain.

How so? They lost out on Lee after losing to the Rangers last year and did nothing. From what I can gather, they're not trading any of their top guys (Montero, Sanchez, Betances, Banuelos) for anybody not named Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
How so? They lost out on Lee after losing to the Rangers last year and did nothing. From what I can gather, they're not trading any of their top guys (Montero, Sanchez, Betances, Banuelos) for anybody not named Felix Hernandez or Clayton Kershaw.

The Yankees will not go another year with the rotation they have. If they lose there will be a ton of pressure on them to upgrade. They probably will give a spot to one of their young guys, but they're also going to trade for a pitcher. The Sox problem is Danks isn't likely to be the best option on the trade market.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
But that has nothing to do with Flowers's readiness. They won't move AJ because they're not paying for him to go away. Not because Flowers isn't ready.

I'm not sure you are right about that. They might make an exeption to what is generally percieved as a rule simply because they fully realize how they structured his contract. I would bet they'd eat 2M.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
I'm not sure you are right about that. They might make an exeption to what is generally percieved as a rule simply because they fully realize how they structured his contract. I would bet they'd eat 2M.

The sox won't eat that money unless they get a legit piece back, and history has already showed us that AJ is difficult to move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
But that has nothing to do with Flowers's readiness. They won't move AJ because they're not paying for him to go away. Not because Flowers isn't ready.

Yeah, no one would pay AJ $6 million next year as a free agent, let alone giving up a decent prospect for the right to pay him $6 million.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Kenny said it's time to play the kids. At 30, Ramirez is no kid.

Neither is DeAza (28 next year), Flowers (26 next year), Lillibridge (28 next year), Humber (29 next year), or Santos (28 next year). Morel & Gordon are 25 next year also, so you can't really call them "kids" either.

What Kenny *actually* means with that wording is he wants cost-effective, team-controlled talent to offset the massive salary obligations to other players. Ramirez doesn't really get expensive until 2014, and he's under control through 2016 via options. Ramirez doesn't get moved because ATM he's part of the solution, not the problem.

The total rebuild/firesale/trade-anybody-good stuff is Kansas City Royals type nonsense that leaves you in the toilet collecting poop-flavored dunce caps for decades on end. As (unfairly) vilified as Kenny & JR may be around here they are not that stupid and thankfully nobody in the front office wants to see those post-White Flag, pre-Ozzie seasons again.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 12:01 AM)
Neither is DeAza (28 next year), Flowers (26 next year), Lillibridge (28 next year), Humber (29 next year), or Santos (28 next year). Morel & Gordon are 25 next year also, so you can't really call them "kids" either.

What Kenny *actually* means with that wording is he wants cost-effective, team-controlled talent to offset the massive salary obligations to other players. Ramirez doesn't really get expensive until 2014, and he's under control through 2016 via options. Ramirez doesn't get moved because ATM he's part of the solution, not the problem.

The total rebuild/firesale/trade-anybody-good stuff is Kansas City Royals type nonsense that leaves you in the toilet collecting poop-flavored dunce caps for decades on end. As (unfairly) vilified as Kenny & JR may be around here they are not that stupid and thankfully nobody in the front office wants to see those post-White Flag, pre-Ozzie seasons again.

And (again) it is totally impossible to do with Rios, Dunn, and Peavy's contracts around.

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

OK, surprise move of the offseason, offhand? Not a trade, but eating substantial $$ to drop RIos. HIGHLY unlikely. But I'll go with that.

CSNChi_Beatnik Brett Ballantini

Not a ton of difference between Sale '10 and Reed '11, and Sale survived... RT @tinyj: you really think Reed will survive #HotStove season?

I also asked him what he thought the payroll would be and he said $120M, said cost-cutting is exagerrated. I think he's way off on that, but we'll see. He said teams will be scared off Ramirez because of the extension. Last couple years of contract could be bad.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
I also asked him what he thought the payroll would be and he said $120M, said cost-cutting is exagerrated. I think he's way off on that, but we'll see. He said teams will be scared off Ramirez because of the extension. Last couple years of contract could be bad.

The quote above did NOT say teams were scared off by the extension. It said he was less movable. That means, in part, that the Sox have no motivation to move him. I think you are reading more into his statement than he intended.

Unless there was some other quote we missed?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
And (again) it is totally impossible to do with Rios, Dunn, and Peavy's contracts around.

You can't do it totally-Royals-Style, but there's a different way that things could happen. If you had to push salary to $75 million...you hold those 3, dump everything else, and plan on losin 100 games next year. If any of the 3 happen to have a good enough first half that you can move them without paying the rest of their contract...you get rid of them immediately at that point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
You can't do it totally-Royals-Style, but there's a different way that things could happen. If you had to push salary to $75 million...you hold those 3, dump everything else, and plan on losin 100 games next year. If any of the 3 happen to have a good enough first half that you can move them without paying the rest of their contract...you get rid of them immediately at that point.

And watch your season ticket base go back to 1970 levels.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
The quote above did NOT say teams were scared off by the extension. It said he was less movable. That means, in part, that the Sox have no motivation to move him. I think you are reading more into his statement than he intended.

Unless there was some other quote we missed?

He tweeted this later in response to a tweet about Ramirez extension being s fair one:

Brett Ballantini

Fair, but no longer a steal and, potentially, a bad contract late

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Teams with those payrolls don't receive funds.

Yes they do. Baseball takes in an enormous amount of shared funds these days. DirecTV package, radio packages, merchandise, playoff revenue, national TV contracts, ESPN contracts, those funds don't just go to the low revenue teams.

The Luxury tax dollars go to the low salary teams...but at this point, even the Yankees are only paying a small luxury tax amount.