Jeff Cox Spills the Beans??

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
I would think a former catcher has a statistical background. I said this in another thread, I always found former catchers to be very intriguing as managers. Part of that is Scioscia being a personal favorite of mine however.

Would AA have had him as a final 2 candidate if he didnt pay attention to stats?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
spiegs was at the game last night in a suite with the guy who owns Aurelios pizza. Pizza guy carried the lineup card to the plate. He said Cox said Yeah, I got one more game and then Sandy will be here. FWIW.

Those Pizza guys know everything. People must open up to them like bartenders

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
I'd much rather have Martinez. Sandy seems like a quite version of Ozzie, a manager that goes with his gut. I want someone who uses statistics to make better decisions.

You don't get promoted in the Cleveland system unless you're onboard with a sabermetric approach.

This information does not jibe with my sources.

I'm hearing that Carl Everett is KW's primary target. The deal is all but done.

Supposedly, he's got Manny Ramirez locked up as 3rd base coach and the new hitting instructor will be Milton Bradley. Tony Phillips will be the bench coach.

I'm looking forward to things being less volatile with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
For me, Alomar is the least appealing of the rumored candidates. The Manny Acta managerial tree versus the Joe Maddon managerial tree.

Manny Acta is a really good manager. Clearly, not on Maddons' level but it's not a huge fall-off between the two. I'm not in love with a potential Alomar move, but i understand it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
So I take it they're not even going to interview candidates? Who's running the show?

Jerry Reinsdorf, and apparently with an iron fist. It's a joke that they aren't even going to give anyone a fair shake. But we all knew it would be Alomar. It was just so easy to see.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
That would be interesting. Sandy as either the 3B coach or bench coach with Martinez.

I could live with that, but they'll hire Alomar. We need to bring somebody in that's not buddy-buddy with the organization. Somebody that would shake things up. Alomar just seems like a guy that won't change much about the mindset of this team.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
I'm concerned that Sandy isn't going to be very demonstrative in interviews and to be brutally honest, he's not a box office draw.

No matter who they hire they arent going to draw much after this season. I am cancelling after 9 years and I am sure more are on that boat.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
I could live with that, but they'll hire Alomar. We need to bring somebody in that's not buddy-buddy with the organization. Somebody that would shake things up. Alomar just seems like a guy that won't change much about the mindset of this team.

Martinez spent three full season with the Sox. Sandy spent about two and a half. They are both organizational guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Martinez spent three full season with the Sox. Sandy spent about two and a half. They are both organizational guys.

But Alomar seemed, until I was put right, to be a guy that was just a former player. Martinez seemed to have actually gone out and learned sabermetrics and acted as a bench coach in order to groom himself as a manager. Alomar seemed more Ozzie-like at first.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
But Alomar seemed, until I was put right, to be a guy that was just a former player. Martinez seemed to have actually gone out and learned sabermetrics and acted as a bench coach in order to groom himself as a manager. Alomar seemed more Ozzie-like at first.

I have never seen anything in Sandy that would draw a comparison to Ozzie. Nothing at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I have never seen anything in Sandy that would draw a comparison to Ozzie. Nothing at all.

Neither being anything but a base coach before being hired as a manager. Perhaps a better comparison would be if the Sox hired Baines as manager. Both quiet guys with no managerial experience, but they both played for the team. Either way, this was all changed when I found out that Alomar has a sabermetrics background.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
No matter who they hire they arent going to draw much after this season. I am cancelling after 9 years and I am sure more are on that boat.

It's a complete rebuilding phase while paying out Dunn and Rios and using Paulie as the fan draw ... Manager not going to mean much for the next few years

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
It's a complete rebuilding phase while paying out Dunn and Rios and using Paulie as the fan draw ... Manager not going to mean much for the next few years

Bringing back Mark Buehrle is going to be your fan draw while they unload other players like Floyd, Quentin, Danks, etc.