Wild Card Wednesday!

Brian

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)

:notworthy :notworthy

I'm glad I'm not the ONLY person who immediately thought of this on the game tying home run. I thought of this video when Dan Johnson hit his other home run this season (an infamous shot at The Cell) as well.

This was honestly, taking out great White Sox nights of course, my favorite night of baseball ever. Even including the playoffs. Just so many impossible things happened, both from a short term and long term perspective. Ending the season on a weeknight instead of a Sunday was a genius move too, as there was no football competition. Everybody was watching all of this amazing stuff unfold.

I've been fighting a nasty cold, so I went to bed pretty early last night, when the Rays were still down 7-0 and the Red Sox up 3-2. I was thinking, "Well, maybe the O's can pull it out and there can be a game tomorrow."

Per my usual routine, I turn on Mike&Mike in the Morning on ESPN2 while getting ready this morning, and at the exact moment the TV comes on, the scroll on the bottom of the screen tells me that the Rays have won the Wild Card.

I was pretty groggy, and it took a minute for my brain to compute that given how things stood when I went to bed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
Colin Cowherd mentioned something last week about how Boston watches fewer National sports than any other market in the country. They are absolutely obsessed with their own teams, but hardly watch other teams when they are on National broadcasts.

They just don't give a s*** about anything other than themselves.

That sounds about right :lol:

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 07:07 AM)
I've been fighting a nasty cold, so I went to bed pretty early last night, when the Rays were still down 7-0 and the Red Sox up 3-2. I was thinking, "Well, maybe the O's can pull it out and there can be a game tomorrow."

Per my usual routine, I turn on Mike&Mike in the Morning on ESPN2 while getting ready this morning, and at the exact moment the TV comes on, the scroll on the bottom of the screen tells me that the Rays have won the Wild Card.

I was pretty groggy, and it took a minute for my brain to compute that given how things stood when I went to bed.

Same here. I thought that was the only chance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
By the way, anyone other than me have an urge to go dredge up the trade deadline threads where the Braves passed on Carlos Quentin and had Michael Bourn as their only big deadline addition?

But without Quentin for the final month down the stretch, wouldn't the same scenario have played out in all likelihood?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
All I can say was from 9:30 until 11:30 last night WOW!

The MLB Network is so well run it is sick. It seemed like they were commercial free for about an hour and there was no puff or crap real good honest analysis.

They appear very unbiased which is great.

As opposed to ESPN, who seem to be an extension of NESN.

The good news, Peter King will be distraught, but will still yap incessantly about coffee. The bad news, the Red Sox will go nuts this offseason trying to acquire pitching and patch up their offensive holes. They'll throw 10 players at Seattle trying to trade for Felix Hernandez and maybe go after C.J. Wilson and C.C. Sabathia if he opts out. Plus, Jacoby Ellsbury will get busted for HGH.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
The good news, Peter King will be distraught, but will still yap incessantly about coffee. The bad news, the Red Sox will go nuts this offseason trying to acquire pitching and patch up their offensive holes. They'll throw 10 players at Seattle trying to trade for Felix Hernandez and maybe go after C.J. Wilson and C.C. Sabathia if he opts out. Plus, Jacoby Ellsbury will get busted for HGH.

How deep is their farm if Chen and Capuano were being sought to save their season?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 29, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)

And consdering they still have needs, John Danks will be on their list.