2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
I despise KW. But you're reaching here. He was asked a question and he responded the way pretty much every GM already has or would.

If Kenny were one of the have-not GM's I'd understand it, but the list of GM's who have spent more money and gotten worse results than him over the last six years is a short one.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
If Kenny were one of the have-not GM's I'd understand it, but the list of GM's who have spent more money and gotten worse results than him over the last six years is a short one.

"If I define the list to the worst possible stretch possible, he is awful, and I have a column."

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)

What are you trying to say? Everyone on this board knows how much you hate KW because Dunn/Rios/Peavy sucked last year and make a lot of money. Is there anything else to add? At what point do you stop bringing it up every time you post?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
What are you trying to say? Everyone on this board knows how much you hate KW because Dunn/Rios/Peavy sucked last year and make a lot of money. Is there anything else to add? At what point do you stop bringing it up every time you post?

I don't bring it up every time I post. Found it funny that Kenny wished he had the Tigers resources. Not very Chicago Tough is he?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)

If you switch that standard to 4 seasons, then Theo and the people running the Mets clearly top the list.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
I don't bring it up every time I post. Found it funny that Kenny wished he had the Tigers resources. Not very Chicago Tough is he?

Detroit is pretty high up there on the list of teams that spent a ton of money without a lot to show for it as well.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Like I said short list.

Because there aren't a lot of MLB general managers in the first place, and then you've selected a group from it. Its impossible to start with a list of 30 people, then whittle it down in any way, and wind up with anything but a short list.

You've now defined your standard to be meaningless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Detroit is pretty high up there on the list of teams that spent a ton of money without a lot to show for it as well.

Which considering the Sox have been in the top 6 or 8 teams in payroll recently, means most teams have underperformed the Sox in this custom picked standard which is pretty funny honestly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Which considering the Sox have been in the top 6 or 8 teams in payroll recently, means most teams have underperformed the Sox in this custom picked standard which is pretty funny honestly.

Throw in our good friends the Cubs while we're at it and we can all smile.

The Phillies have thrown a ton of money around and haven't been able to pull off the playoff win since 08.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Throw in our good friends the Cubs while we're at it and we can all smile.

The Phillies have thrown a ton of money around and haven't been able to pull off the playoff win since 08.

And the Cubs GM who spent that money is currently unemployed.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
You're better than that. You are such a Williams apologist.

Actually, I thought KW should have resigned this season. Any GM who doesn't have the right to fire his manager with the crap that guy was pulling ought to tear up his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
Actually, I thought KW should have resigned this season. Any GM who doesn't have the right to fire his manager with the crap that guy was pulling ought to tear up his contract.

I doubt he has the right to fire Ventura either. I think Ventura was a Chairman Reinsdorf hire.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
I doubt he has the right to fire Ventura either. I think Ventura was a Chairman Reinsdorf hire.

If the Chairman is this involved in day to day operations, then you have no beef with KW, because he's not the one making the calls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
If the Chairman is this involved in day to day operations, then you have no beef with KW, because he's not the one making the calls.

I doubt many GM's can hire/fire the manager without approval of the owner. Guillen was the first to go, Chairman Reinsdorf has put Kenny on the clock.