Francona out as Red Sox mgr

southsider2k5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

red sox decided not to pick up option. not sure if there will be a gentler spin tho. francona is now aware he's out.

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

francona did terrific job overall with red sox. not shocked hes gone now. clubhouse not together this yr, from all accounts

ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

On September 3rd, Red Sox had a 99.6 percent chance of making the playoffs.

White Sox should take Francona if he is interested. Won 2 WS and had a .574 winning percentage in a tough division. Never had a losing season with the Red Sox.

Kinda interesting that he started with the Red Sox in the same year that Guillen started with the White Sox (2004). And now they are both out in the same year. And Francona won the World Series in 2004, Guillen in 2005.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
White Sox should take Francona if he is interested. Won 2 WS and had a .574 winning percentage in a tough division. Never had a losing season with the Red Sox.

Kinda interesting that he started with the Red Sox in the same year that Guillen started with the White Sox (2004). And now they are both out in the same year. And Francona won the World Series in 2004, Guillen in 2005.

I'm not convinced Francona is the right man for the job. Great managers are those who can get more out of less. In Boston, Francona has always been surrounded with top talent and payrolls. His experience and titles certainly trump that of guys like Alomar Jr. and Martinez who have never managed in the big leagues before, but they don't necessarilly mean he is a great manager.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm not convinced Francona is the right man for the job. Great managers are those who can get more out of less. In Boston, Francona has always been surrounded with top talent and payrolls.

He is a very good in-game manager with an outstanding temperament with players (prior to this year, with whatever speculation people believe happened in that clubhouse with players mailing it in early, players dysfunction from others etc). He is not at the top of my list, but he is definitely top 3.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
I wonder how the Red Sox vacancy will affect the White Sox manager search.

Martinez seems like a guy Theo would covet. In fact.. it makes perfect sense to me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)
I disagree. The only advantage the Cubs have is deeper pockets. Otherwise, Francona has very strong ties to Reinsdorf and the Sox.

i think your "deeper pockets" theory is going the way of the dodo. Ricketts is no Tribune corp

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
That's actually a good point. I suspect you're right and that moves like the Quade hire prove it.

I think the issue with the Cubs/Francona would be more the contract length. Signing him would probably provide the kind of boost that fanbase likes...he's a recent WS winner and that would probably pay in ticket sales for the difference between him and someone like Quade, but only for a couple seasons. If you have to lock him up for 4 years, then any boost from hiring a WS winning manager will fade away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
I think the issue with the Cubs/Francona would be more the contract length. Signing him would probably provide the kind of boost that fanbase likes...he's a recent WS winner and that would probably pay in ticket sales for the difference between him and someone like Quade, but only for a couple seasons. If you have to lock him up for 4 years, then any boost from hiring a WS winning manager will fade away.

i think their recent history with baker and piniella is going to deter them from going all out for the splashy hire. at this point the fans know the product on the field isnt going to the ws next year barring a massive offseason spending. hiring francona to coach a team that was put together on a budget isnt going to swing that fanbase anymore.

they wised up this year, they didnt show up when the team sucked. francona isnt going to spin the turnstiles in july i6 the team is 20 games under .500

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
i think their recent history with baker and piniella is going to deter them from going all out for the splashy hire. at this point the fans know the product on the field isnt going to the ws next year barring a massive offseason spending. hiring francona to coach a team that was put together on a budget isnt going to swing that fanbase anymore.

they wised up this year, they didnt show up when the team sucked. francona isnt going to spin the turnstiles in july i6 the team is 20 games under .500

An extra $2 million is what, 50k tickets sold for the whole season? That's where I'm looking at it from.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)

You don't hire Francona unless you have a team that can win in the next year or two, which the Cubs clearly do not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
An extra $2 million is what, 50k tickets sold for the whole season? That's where I'm looking at it from.

what is the point is what im asking? what does hiring francona really accomplish for the cubs? a name manager for a crappy team?

No manager really wants a piece of the Cubs seat. Low pay, terrible upper management and basically zero control over anything. You then take a look at your roster and realize last place isnt really that fun (well except for Hou). The Pirates finished ahead of the CUbs this year and next year they are going to be even worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Maybe I just have an unduly low impression of Cubs fans, but I feel like gimmicks work better on impacting ticket sales on the North Side.

If it was 3 years ago, they would have people tripping over themselves to fill that park up. But that team is gone, and the current roster is in no way shape or form going to be enticing for Tito, nor the fans. It would be a quick love affair for Francona, then a harsh reality midway through the season