Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um Steve Stone versus Robin?

Robin for $1000 Alex?

KHP,

When baseball managers start calling offensive and defensive plays, is the day I start to worry about a managers experience. For Ventura's entire baseball career he has been doing the same things a manager does, advanced scouting, looking at match ups, etc.

I just dont see why people are freaking out.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
If u are gonna hire Robin ... why didn't they just hire Coop?

And make Robin bench coach.

Very dumb move IMO.

Personality.

I think Coop has the knowledge to do it, but I don't think he'd be able to handle all the pressure from the media. He'd be a scapegoat here.

Ventura should do well. I'm liking this hire more and more as I think about it. Good job, Kenny. You've once again showed why you're in charge and Ozzie is not.

greg, I'm shocked you don't like this. You always say that fans came out to the Cell to see Ozzie since they loved him from his playing days. Well, I can all but guarantee Ventura was far more beloved during his White Sox playing days.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:36 PM)
If u are gonna hire Robin ... why didn't they just hire Coop?

Because they'd have to take a massive hit at pitching coach. Coop can't occupy the positions of manager and pitching coach simultaneously.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Me too...as I just told a friend, this isn't like college athletics where you have to bring in a head coach that you know can recruit as well as manage a game. Ventura will get his chance, and if he tanks, he won't be here very long.

Since I respect your baseball opinion as much as anyone on this board, let me ask you this - Don't you think that a guy should at least have some type of coaching experience at some level before a major league baseball team in a major market hires him as manager? And shouldn't that person have previously expressed a desire to coach and one day manage? As far as I can remember, Ventura up until very recentlt ( maybe a couple of years ago at the longest) used to always state that he had no desire to be a coach.

I hope he turns out to be a great manager, and I believe he already will be better than the Ozzie of the past few years, but why not give someone like Martinez or Alomar at least a chance to interview for the job?

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

well...after the initial shock has worn off...I will say I'll at least give him a chance. Loved him as a player...so we'll see. Maybe the players will respond greatly to this...which was one of my biggest gripes about Ozzie anymore. We really shouldn't be surprised by this move...I mean...retaining Cooper was one thing...but the writing for something like this was kind of one the wall bringing Baines back.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Yes, there is. You could hire someone who's had experience as a manager or coach at some motherf***ing point in his entire life.

And as mentioned there have been plenty of managers who have succeeded with out prior coaching experience. I'm certainly not excited about this move but I'm not disappointed either, it's clearly a wait and see type move. I completely understand why everyone wants to trash every move this organization makes(and I've been right there with you guys most of the time) but Robin hasn't been apart of this garbage, I'll wait to see what he can do before I condemn this move.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Since I respect your baseball opinion as much as anyone on this board, let me ask you this - Don't you think that a guy should at least have some type of coaching experience at some level before a major league baseball team in a major market hires him as manager? And shouldn't that person have previously expressed a desire to coach and one day manage? As far as I can remember, Ventura up until very recentlt ( maybe a couple of years ago at the longest) used to always state that he had no desire to be a coach.

I hope he turns out to be a great manager, and I believe he already will be better than the Ozzie of the past few years, but why not give someone like Martinez or Alomar at least a chance to interview for the job?

I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

I appreciate it SSFM. No, I think Ventura knows the game well enough to manage. Especially since he's joining a situation where he won't have to hire his own pitching coach, and he has a very involved General Manager. Someone earlier in this thread did a great job of mentioning how Cooper has basically managed the pitchers the last 7 or so years.

I hope Robin leads them to 100 wins, I really do. My biggest issue is that there were far more qualified candidates out there that seemingly didn't get ANY CHANCE to get the job. KW and JR went with the easiest, and most importantly cheapest option, and I find that insulting to me as a fan. Instead of hiring someone who can change the culture of this team and organization we're given and ex-player to appease fan who care more about nostalgia than actual winning.

Will people that already stated they won't follow the team next season please disable your accounts, talk about #b****ingfest.

I'm shocked as much as the next guy, let's see what he's got.

Also I'm hearing Frank Thomas will be on the staff, so probably hitting coach like someone said already.

PS. At least he speak English!

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Yow. I was as surprised as anybody and disappointed that one of the commonly mentioned choices wasn't choses. Came to read other thoughts and am overwhelmed by the anger. Come on! It is not worth this level of angst. There's no question he does know the game. It's reasonable to be skeptical and to wonder what happened to the other candidates, but this is a board for White Sox fans. The hatred and assumption that he'll fail is neither warranted nor useful.

We should've hired Jose Valentin, Dan Pasqua, Jeff Abbott, Chris Widger, or Greg Norton then. I'm sure they've all had as much coaching experience as Ventura while also having played the game.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Fathom, interested to hear your take?

Don't mind it at all. I sincerely hope Ventura and KW have a strong r'ship so we won't see any games between the two of them and they make decisions to try and help the organization instead of winning a pissing contest. I am very hopeful that Ventura's demeanor will create a new vibe in the clubhouse.

It was obvious that we were going to get a first time manager (Martinez, McEwing, Alomar). They were not going to give Francona big money. They were not going to get in a bidding war with Boston or anyone else for Martinez (I have read and heard he will be an option in Boston). The Sox are going to get younger, dump salary, and Robin seems like a good baseball person and he is well respected. I love how people are giving up on a guy that has not even been given a chance yet. He could be great or he could be real bad, but hiring a guy with little experience should not be surprising. Baseball history has a ton of examples of young mangers doing well and winning. I am happy with the hire knowing the direction the team will be going in. This isn't really all that different from the hiring of our last manager.