Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Apparently the Sox didn't contact Alomar or Francona at all about the managerial opening.

Absolutely disgusting, if true.

Any one else get the feeling the rest of the league is laughing at the White Sox right now?

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:42 PM)
I like the Sox being honest with this move and admitting the truth that they have no chance to win the division next year.

They're future begins by developing their young talent and working through KW's mess of bad deals and bad contracts over the next few years.

Did they say that?

My problem with the hire is not Ventura, but the process that Kenny took to this job. Usually, in organization has interviews with other canidates. It seems to me that Kenny just decided by conversations over the years that he was the right man for the job. What happend to sitting down talking three or four different guys and seeing which one fits you philosophy best? I think Ventura could be good just from the standpoint that he can be one of the guys. My only wonder is if he would get rolled over by a player who has a dominant personality. I think for developing players he can do a very good job. Also, it is more apparent that before Ozzie ever left that Ventura would be the next manager for the White Sox. I just do not like how the White Sox go about there business sometimes. Also, for god sakes put some money into your farm system starting with Latin America and ending with paying more money for draft picks. Maybe you would not have as many prospect flops.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
I'd like to add...a few beers helped some. I'm still pissed off about this...but at least i have a few beers.

What kind do you drink? I like micro brews and some imports. It helps sometimes for sure

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
"Accountability" There's another crazy idea.

Spend years of your life learning how to coach on a major league bench from a distinguished manager. No interview.

Spend years of your life sitting in your living room or playing catch with your kids. You're hired.

Accountability at the White Sox finest :lol:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I'd like to add...a few beers helped some. I'm still pissed off about this...but at least i have a few beers.

I adore angry Balta.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Man, I regret backing Kenny over Ozzie now. After this debacle of a "process" to hire a new manager, they should have both been gone...

I can't figure out how anyone could side with OG going and KW staying, they both should of went. I am almost ashamed to say I am a Sox fan after today's puppet show! :ph34r:

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
I would argue that 1 to 2 years of being a 1st base coach or 3rd base coach isn't exactly a ton of experience. So I'd say Ozzie had his early successes despite limited coaching, Girardi the same.

The fact is that they were both coaches, and Girardi was a bench coach. Robin Ventura had a lull of about 8 years after his playing career until he was hired as a manager. And Ozzie was a coach for 3 years. I'd say that was 3 times the experience of Ventura, but anything times zero is still zero.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I want to say I'm shocked with the negativity surrounding this hiring, but then again, this is SoxTalk.

On the face of it, I like it. Would I have liked Dave Martinez, sure? But he has just as much managerial experience as Ventura. Like others have said, this isn't football or basketball. He'll be just fine so long as he has a good coaching staff around him. Honestly, the more important hiring will be the hitting and bench coaches. It's too early to tell if this is a good hire or not. He hasn't managed a damn game yet.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Underwhelming press conference. We'll see. Two years of sucking and high draft picks wouldn't be the worst thing for this organization if they're willing to put the cash in the farm system.

High draft picks? That's what I get for my season tickets - high draft picks?

And who's going to do the picking pray tell...oh, let me guess...

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
The fact is that they were both coaches, and Girardi was a bench coach. Robin Ventura had a lull of about 8 years after his playing career until he was hired as a manager.

Hey, he coached 7th grade girls basketball for his daughter's team! Oh wait ....MLB players are worse behaved than 12 year old girls.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
I loved it during the conference when Kenny mentioned that his scouts and player development has drafted and developed a lot of gems in the farm system. Whose he crapping!!!

Why doesn't someone call his ass out when he makes asanine statements like that. We are last in the American League in farm talent. Sox spend so little in player development, you reap what you sow!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Honestly, what good would that even do you as a manager? I would think that experience would help you become a better base coach, but other than that, what? Those are just bang-bang decision-making skills you have to hone.

So that's why all of the teams in major league baseball hire guys with absolutely no experience whatsoever. It mustn't help at all.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Spend years of your life learning how to coach on a major league bench from a distinguished manager. No interview.

Spend years of your life sitting in your living room or playing catch with your kids. You're hired.

Accountability at the White Sox finest :lol:

Mike Quade spent 20 years managing in the minors.