Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead of picking from a group of candidates that either managed playoff teams or were heavily involved in playoff caliber organizations, and had deep insight into current rosters across the league, we picked the guy that was last seen manicuring his lawn?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
We should've hired Jose Valentin, Dan Pasqua, Jeff Abbott, Chris Widger, or Greg Norton then. I'm sure they've all had as much coaching experience as Ventura while also having played the game.

And they all have just as good of a chance to be a good manager as Dave Martinez or Sandy Alomar.

No one here has a legit reason to be mad.

You're mad because it was a bad year, and because you wanted change; instead you got something familiar. Davey and Sandy would have been change, but you can't honestly draw a causal relationship between those two guys and their teams' recent success. They're a very minor part.

As far as wanting a 'stats-mentality' you need that turnaround in your front office. In the dugout is another matter. Piniella took heat for choosing swing away over bunt, and it's not like he was some saber guy. You can be a good manager and just do smart things in the moment. The FO is the place where you should aim for sweeping, intelligent reforms

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
So instead of picking from a group of candidates that either managed playoff teams or were heavily involved in playoff caliber organizations, and had deep insight into current rosters across the league, we picked the guy that was last seen manicuring his lawn?

And for all we know he's the best manager of the bunch, we just don't know.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Um Steve Stone versus Robin?

Robin for $1000 Alex?

KHP,

When baseball managers start calling offensive and defensive plays, is the day I start to worry about a managers experience. For Ventura's entire baseball career he has been doing the same things a manager does, advanced scouting, looking at match ups, etc.

I just dont see why people are freaking out.

People are freaking out because they're afraid Robin might bunt in the wrong situation, pull a pitcher too late, etc. Well if those were the main problems we had last year then we wouldn't have finished where we did. And we ALL know that Davey Martinez would have never made a bad move, or at least if he did, he wouldn't get criticized much at all over the course of a season because he's so smart and Maddon and Rays way and fap fap *splurt*....

ATM the players don't seem to give a s*** and the last manager was a distraction that made things even worse. Players that needed to play weren't even put in the lineup. Robin is as good a bet as anyone to remedy those areas, and if he does that, I really don't care if he's a poor in-game manager at first because we'll still end up being a much better team than we've been.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Milkman,

How do I know hes legit?

Id say its because Ive read and watched a few things about Robin Ventura in my day.

(edit)

Really, because I havent met/watched/seen Ozzie versus Robin?

A lot of you guys are going to look silly for yelling about Robin without even letting him manage a game.

And if we're right, we were just a bunch of negative jerks who would have been against any move no matter what. When you're wrong, you get to just say that I was being a hopeful fan.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
We should've hired Jose Valentin, Dan Pasqua, Jeff Abbott, Chris Widger, or Greg Norton then. I'm sure they've all had as much coaching experience as Ventura while also having played the game.

Dude played 16 seasons in the league. Outside of Alomar having a little bit of experience, he was basically as green as Ventura. Only difference, the media was selling Alomar as a candidate for a while. The reality is, Alomar's limited exposure with Cleveland isn't going to by far and away make him more ready to be a manager than Ventura.

Personally I always thought Alomar would make a great manager and would have loved to have him. But based upon ex players comments, it sounds like Ventura has a lot of those same qualities that I liked about Alomar and he has 16 years of experience in major league clubhouses being a leader and "winner". And he's seen different types of clubhouses, whether it was the White Sox clubhouse in the 90's or the Mets for a couple years or even the Yankees clubhouse.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
What if no one hires Dave Martinez. What if he shows up to all the interviews drunk. We don't know.

What if he boned Kenny's wife back in the 90s? Sarcasm of course, but Martinez is a little over-hyped to me.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)

At least he knows where to get mail order drugs