Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry Slav, its just the regular here, much ado about nothing.

Anyone with google can find names of managers who had no experience (Joe Torrie) and managers with tons of experience that arent good (Jerry Manuel).

I also find it amusing that people are just assuming Ventura was cheaper than Martinez, when there is nothing to suggest thats true. Ventura made far more money in his career than Martinez, Ventura has turned down basically every coaching job offered to hm besides this one. If anything it probably cost more to get Ventura than Martinez.

But hey lets just make things up and get angry because we are upset!

ROAR

One can only guess that KW had very little to do with this.

The majority of our anger should be directed at Reinsdorf...if one is inclined to react immediately in that direction.

Obviously JR is the one who convinced Robin to do this...conversations had been going back and forth for a number of years about him taking a more active role in the organization. Obviously, most believed he'd have to "put in his time" before he would become manager.

But clearly he works well enough with Bell and KW, as well. Heck, it's not like you've ever heard of anyone not getting along with the guy, he's not a polarizing personality like Fisk or Black Jack.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
Dont worry Slav, its just the regular here, much ado about nothing.

Anyone with google can find names of managers who had no experience (Joe Torrie) and managers with tons of experience that arent good (Jerry Manuel).

I also find it amusing that people are just assuming Ventura was cheaper than Martinez, when there is nothing to suggest thats true. Ventura made far more money in his career than Martinez, Ventura has turned down basically every coaching job offered to hm besides this one. If anything it probably cost more to get Ventura than Martinez.

But hey lets just make things up and get angry because we are upset!

ROAR

Oh, condescension. That's new. So if it's so easy, and you're the one making claims that this happens all the time, why don't you Google these managers with absolutely no experience for us? Please, and try to make them in the recent history of baseball. You came up with Joe Torre (35 years ago) and Connie Mack (117 years ago) so far. Let's hear the rest.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
One can only guess that KW had very little to do with this.

The majority of our anger should be directed at Reinsdorf...if one is inclined to react immediately in that direction.

Obviously JR is the one who convinced Robin to do this...conversations had been going back and forth for a number of years about him taking a more active role in the organization. Obviously, most believed he'd have to "put in his time" before he would become manager.

But clearly he works well enough with Bell and KW, as well. Heck, it's not like you've ever heard of anyone not getting along with the guy, he's not a polarizing personality like Fisk or Black Jack.

If he's not Kennys choice... f***ing resign!

Im pretty sure Ventura accepting a job that he doesnt need shows he wants to be a manager.

He could have easily said no and over time hes consistently said he wanted to be involved with baseball again after his kids grew up. Maybe he just didnt want his kids to turn out to be like Oney?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Im pretty sure Ventura accepting a job that he doesnt need shows he wants to be a manager.

He could have easily said no and over time hes consistently said he wanted to be involved with baseball again after his kids grew up. Maybe he just didnt want his kids to turn out to be like Oney?

And yet he's already talking about other jobs.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Oh, condescension. That's new. So if it's so easy, and you're the one making claims that this happens all the time, why don't you Google these managers with absolutely no experience for us? Please, and try to make them in the recent history of baseball. You came up with Joe Torre (35 years ago) and Connie Mack (117 years ago) so far. Let's hear the rest.

Ted Turner, lol.

Would have been on board with Omar Vizquel as the next manager (my "out of left field" pick) but it seems he's going with Guillen to Florida.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
Milkman,

You dont pay me enough to do your research for you.

No no, don't put this on me and act like I'm the one avoiding it. You claimed that it's not uncommon for a manager to be hired with no experience whatsoever. I'd like you to come up with some examples in this era of baseball.

Where did I use the word uncommon.

You find that in one of my posts, Ill do the research for you or Ill quit posting in this forum, your choice.

I stated that there have been coaches who had no managerial experience, and I provided examples.

Misquoting me wont get you anywhere.

I'm willing to give him a chance. Everyone here knows he's going to be the worst manager ever. But remember, a poll here showed that a majority of posters said they managed better than Oz, all Robin has to do is be as good as the average poster here and it's a major upgrade.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81618

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
What's this in reference to?

"I have no plans of being president of the team," he said. "This is just a step of getting back within the organization and whatever happens, happens. I'm willing to put my foot in the water and see what happens. I don't really have any thoughts on what the future is. I like to be able to do this within the White Sox organization."