Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)
Maybe his quote about being "President" of the organization in the Doug Padilla article just posted?

If he said that, it's not a big deal. Would have been unprofessional to say he wanted to be a manager for the Sox while his former teammate was still there.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Haha, add that to the stretches. Let's bring Connie Mack back up. That was a relevant addition as well. My sweet Lord...

Terry Bevington was a 3rd base coach.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Where did I use the word uncommon.

You find that in one of my posts, Ill do the research for you or Ill quit posting in this forum, your choice.

I stated that there have been coaches who had no managerial experience, and I provided examples.

Misquoting me wont get you anywhere.

Haha, alright. There has also been a midget player. You deliberately made an argument that was intended to make it seem that this type of thing happens and isn't uncommon. It's obvious to anyone who is reading the thread. I'm not going to argue with you, though, as you always do this. You'll harp on the smallest of things and will never admit to being wrong.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
I'm willing to give him a chance. Everyone here knows he's going to be the worst manager ever. But remember, a poll here showed that a majority of posters said they managed better than Oz, all Robin has to do is be as good as the average poster here and it's a major upgrade.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81618

Tex, what is your incessant need to consistently mock the posters on this board? It seems that every post of yours in PHT is of this nature. Can you ever add anything to the discussion without coming off like this?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Haha, alright. There has also been a midget player. You deliberately made an argument that was intended to make it seem that this type of thing happens and isn't uncommon. It's obvious to anyone who is reading the thread. I'm not going to argue with you, though, as you always do this. You'll harp on the smallest of things and will never admit to being wrong.

We all can't be like you. You're never wrong, so you don't have to admit to anything.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:21 PM)
No I stated what I meant. That there have been successful managers who have had 0 coaching experience.

I never said it was common or uncommon. And yes it happens, because I pointed to examples of it happening.

So if we hire a team full of midgets, we'd be great. That one guy had a career 1.000 OBP.

LaRussa had a JD degree from FSU and just a little more than one season as a minor league manager with the Sox...overall, just 1 2/3rd's seasons of experience coaching, after his minor league playing days.

Ventura had this recent 1/2 season as the "roving instructor" and clearly wanted a bigger role.

The White Sox gave La Russa his first managerial opportunity in 1978 by naming him skipper of their Double-A affiliate, the Knoxville Sox of the Southern League. La Russa spent only a half-season at Knoxville before being promoted to the White Sox coaching staff when owner Bill Veeck changed managers from Bob Lemon to Larry Doby. But Doby struggled in the managerial role and was fired at the end of the season; Don Kessinger, former star shortstop of the crosstown Cubs, was named the White Sox' player-manager for 1979, and La Russa was demoted to manager of the Triple-A Iowa Oaks of the American Association.

But Kessinger was not the answer, either. The ChiSox were only 46–60 when he was fired and La Russa was summoned from Iowa, two-thirds of the way through the 1979 season. The White Sox played .500 baseball for the rest of the '79 campaign, and La Russa's career was launched. He credits Paul Richards with first inspiring him to believe he could succeed as a major league manager.

Can someone please tell me what Robin Ventura could have learned waving guys in from the 3rd base coach's box or holding elbow pads in the first base coach's box or sitting next to a manager telling him what he would do, that he in no way could have picked up all those years he played? What makes Ventura a worse candidate than Martinez or Alomar? Steve Phillips was on the radio and he was talking Dave Martinez. He said he would never hire him as a manager because he thinks he lacks presence. That's his opinion and could be way off, but Martinez has interviewed for a couple of jobs and apparently didn't do so well.

No one is a guarantee, but I like Ventura's chances.

Milkman,

This is why I dont waste time in this forum, where did I ever say that no experience would make Ventura good?

I merely stated that before everyone freaks out about no experience, that there have been successful coaches with no experience. That doesnt mean that no experience = good, it just means that no experience does not have to equal bad.

I dont know if you seriously cant understand the difference, or if you feel that if you play dumb Ill somehow trip up and make an absurd statement. Ill hope for the latter.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Looks like Ventura' got a lot of the players respect, that's a good start

If he has their respect and the players are held accountable, and he can manage the pitching staff, everyone complaining about this selection will be glad they were wrong.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Tex, what is your incessant need to consistently mock the posters on this board? It seems that every post of yours in PHT is of this nature. Can you ever add anything to the discussion without coming off like this?

How is pointing out what people actually said mocking? The majority of posters could do a better job than Ozzie. Do we really think Robin is going to do worse than the average poster here? So I'm relaxing and feeling OK with the choice. But we also know from another poll that the average poster here could also be a better GM than KW, so maybe somewhere in there there is a possibility that Robin could be worse than Ozzie.

But all he has to do to be a major upgrade is be as good as the average poster, doesn't that make you feel better about the pick?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:24 PM)
Can someone please tell me what Robin Ventura could have learned waving guys in from the 3rd base coach's box or holding elbow pads in the first base coach's box or sitting next to a manager telling him what he would do, that he in no way could have picked up all those years he played? What makes Ventura a worse candidate than Martinez or Alomar? Steve Phillips was on the radio and he was talking Dave Martinez. He said he would never hire him as a manager because he thinks he lacks presence. That's his opinion and could be way off, but Martinez has interviewed for a couple of jobs and apparently didn't do so well.

No one is a guarantee, but I like Ventura's chances.

Current knowledge of the opponents would come to mind. We have to hope he has good coaches around him to get the team prepared. The next few choices to round out his staff will be a good test. He has a very experienced pitching coach, if he adds some other good minds (Tex Winter types) he could do fine.

Not going to dig through the thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned...

Kenny was on CTL and said the hitting coach will probably be filled within the organization. So probably Tim Laker.

Not a fan of the Sox hiring roiders, but he was a product of the era.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
If he's not Kennys choice... f***ing resign!

Dont be surprised by this. JR has this thing with mgrs/coaches.

I've heard that the hirings of both Del Negro and Thibodeau were more JR's call. As was the near hiring of Doug Collins and Pringles guy.

There's no rule that the GM should be picking the managers. The owner can use his employees in any way that he wants. Obviously it's his call.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Current knowledge of the opponents would come to mind. We have to hope he has good coaches around him to get the team prepared. The next few choices to round out his staff will be a good test. He has a very experienced pitching coach, if he adds some other good minds (Tex Winter types) he could do fine.

Cowley saying that Cooper is a problem. He says Cooper being around is why any big name would say no to the Sox. What happened to Daryl Boston, or the Sun Times breaking the story of Dave Martinez, who didn't even interview? Of course, Oney re tweeted it. I read either Laker or Manto as the hitting coach and they are seeking permission from another team to bring in a bench coach. Supposedly the entire staff should be in place Tuesday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Cowley saying that Cooper is a problem. He says Cooper being around is why any big name would say no to the Sox. What happened to Daryl Boston, or the Sun Times breaking the story of Dave Martinez, who didn't even interview? Of course, Oney re tweeted it. I read either Laker or Manto as the hitting coach and they are seeking permission from another team to bring in a bench coach. Supposedly the entire staff should be in place Tuesday.

Why is Cooper the problem?